Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Great Dane - I can't handle the shorter lifespan. I just can't. My heart can't. But I think they are great dogs.

Long coated breeds - I am fine with dog hair (obviously!) but don't care for long coats and long hair all over the place. That does rule out a lot of breeds I understand. A whole lot. I also don't care for grooming I can't easily do myself. My short coated breeds are the best. And my cat doesn't even have real hair...

There are no dogs that I can say I don't like, mixes, purebreds, etc. I really love them all. Dobermans the best though! Someday I do want to own French Bulldog but right now we are too active and I have some concerns about them being able to keep up hiking and camping, etc. I also hope to one day own a Weim, as that is my significant others breed. We looked at Dogos for years, visited breeders, went to shows, but the lines are so inconsistent and lack breed type. We will wait some years.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

I don't even think of hair ! To me it's dog owning !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Not a lurker

For me:
No Chihuahuas (I like my neighbors, but I wouldn't own one)
Pretty much no tiny dogs except maybe a Dachshund...

No Hounds! Sorry Hound people, but they aren't for me at all, I find the baying sound horribly irritating.

No St Bernards/Mastiffs - I'm drool intolerant...well at least for stringers.

No Labs - too popular, *everyone* has one and they don't appeal to me.

No Chows - I don't trust them, sorry.

Other than that, the breeds I'd actively seek would be:

German Shepherd (obviously)
Golden Retriever
Weimaraner
Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

MIN PINS!! every single one i have met has been a pain in the behind! yappy, nippy, hyper, needy, ugshgjksnghewg! never!

chinese cresteds (i dont like hairless dogs)
Mastiffs ( i cant STAND drool)
Any commonly dog aggresive breed (APBT ect..) im way to much of a dog park, dog beach person

As for breeds i WANT:
German shepherd.. Male, Sable <3
Papillion
Long haired Chihuahua
Doberman
Old 03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
I was bitten by both a Golden Retriever & a Lab. Everyone thinks all Labs are good dogs, they're just perfect & that's why they're so popular. They could not be further than wrong.

Our neighbor in the town we used to live in had two Golden Retrievers that were very DA. They killed an elderly Rottweiler, mauled & killed my friend's Dachshund and when my mom ran out and grabbed the Dachshund the Goldens tore into her until she let the Dachshund go. They ripped into my past pit bull, and attacked Georgia when they broke into our yard before we moved.

We rescued a yellow Lab puppy two months ago who one month ago bit into Kierstyn, who is 2 years old. Kierstyn got a rip down her face, two black eyes and puncture marks.

Every Lab I've met at the dog park and the lake growls profusely at my dogs and are DA.

And have to add, my Labs can't be further from perfect. In fact, all of the dog breeds I've had I have had better luck with than my Labs. & I will never own Labs again.
I feel the need to defend the labbies here.....

You should meet Jack. He is loves other dogs. is generally a peace-maker, and I don't think I've ever even heard him growl in anything but play. He has his faults, but none of these are major temperament issues and generally I could not ask for a better temperament in a dog.

Every lab we've come across in the dog park has been a friendly dog. Not all of them were well behaved, but that is a training, not a temperament issue.

I see lots of dog people rag on labs, but honestly, you get bad examples of the breed in any dog that is popular.

A properly bred lab should be neither human nor dog aggressive. I have had Jack encounter dogs that have actively tried to attack him and he has not returned fire--even when he would have been totally justified as far as I'm concerned.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

I know that there are exceptions to every breed , but to me they are toy ( which I would never own ) , medium and large would depend on the dog . It's hard for one who has had and owned and bred a breed for over 60 years to change . Yet if Ollie goes before I do and I can still own a dog , I'll go for any big lover ! To me that's the only down fall of aging .....I know what I can give to a dog , but would a dog be happy ?? Luckily I think Ollie is . way down the road when you're in my bracket you'll understand /

Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 PM
My house is a zoo

I can't really think of any breeds that I'd absolutely be against owning or fostering. I've had bad experiences with many different breeds and mixes, but they were usually due to owner inexperience or stupidity.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

I'm not big on dogs I have to take to the groomer often. Short-hair is my preference.

Question: Why are so many people on here who will defend pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds to the death ragging on chows? Maybe there is something about them that I don't know, but isn't that sort of hypocritical?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I feel the need to defend the labbies here.....

You should meet Jack. He is loves other dogs. is generally a peace-maker, and I don't think I've ever even heard him growl in anything but play. He has his faults, but none of these are major temperament issues and generally I could not ask for a better temperament in a dog.

Every lab we've come across in the dog park has been a friendly dog. Not all of them were well behaved, but that is a training, not a temperament issue.

I see lots of dog people rag on labs, but honestly, you get bad examples of the breed in any dog that is popular.

A properly bred lab should be neither human nor dog aggressive. I have had Jack encounter dogs that have actively tried to attack him and he has not returned fire--even when he would have been totally justified as far as I'm concerned.
I have to agree with you. I think alot of people jump the gun to bash Labs too often. While they might not be for everyone, just because you got bit/chased/whatnot by a Lab, doesn't make them all bad.

As for a breed I know I will never, EVER own: Beagle.

Breeds I wouldn't seek out, but wouldn't turn down if they needed a foster home or whatnot: Pitt Bulls, GSD, Chows, Cresties, Pugs (or any of the small, squishy faced breeds).

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

Since we are all dog lovers here , it's interesting to read this thread !