Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
overdogged

Default Help with "stand"

Ok, I need to teach Mushroom to stand. I don't care if he steps his front feet forward, I just need to teach him to go from sit to stand.

When I taught Luce, she made it easy. I used a lure and a clicker and bam there it was. Mushroom, not so much. A lure produces a bunnyhop forward in sit or some other sort of dive forward. I'm afraid to try to click for butt leaving the floor because it happens so fast and I'm not a good enough clicker trainer for that.

I've tried the plan to just hang out and wait for him to get up, but if he knows I've got the clicker or any kind of reward on me, he'll throw all kinds of different behaviors at me, one after the other, getting himself more worked up and frantic as nothing works.

I've also tried stepping into him and making him back up, but I just get a backwards butt scoot and no standing.

He's a very dedicated sitter.

The only other ideas I've got are ones involving physically manipulating him, either with a hand under his belly or a leash. I'd rather not go that route if I don't need to.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Well, if you don't care if he steps his front feet forward, how about if you have him sitting at heel and take a half a baby step forward. Just enough that he gets up and click.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM

The way that I use a lure to teach stand in order to avoid the ever common bunny hop is to use the lure like a magnet. I put the lure ON the nose and lure very slowly, never taking the lure more that an inch or two away from the nose. This way, there's nothing to jump forward for. Dogs nose is steal...lure is magnet.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

I was gonna say what Doc said, just hold the treat right in front of his face so he's working at getting it and slowly pull it forward as he's trying to get it from your fingers and he should stand then click and release the treat.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
A Unit of Resistance

do you have a low table that you can have him sit on? if you do, sit him on the edge so that when you lure him he has no choices but to stand or fall off if he creeps forward in any way.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cider was into bum sliding.. She auto sat so well, that any movement resulted in a super fast sit back down. Too small a step her bum barely left the floor..

We ended up taking a step forward and me putting a toe under her before she could sit down again.. Awkward as heck.. But gave me an extra moment to click.. Worked for us, not the greatest way to have done it though. Also used a broom handle a few times so my foot wasn't always involved. When she partially got it, i could put a finger on her belly and she'd quit trying to sit..

We now have a very nice stand.. If only she wouldn't wiggle all over for the stand for exam part

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
totally normal

The way I learned it, I had the dog in a sit in the heel position, and I'd reach my right foot behind me and under under the dog, just in front of his rear feet as I'd give my hand signal for stand. When the dog pops up in surprise mark and reward.
And so on from there, fading out the toe poke, adding the verbal command, et cetera.

ETA-- I had to practice up against a wall to get it nice and straight. Now him bum pops up nice and straight, while his front legs stay put.

Last edited by bcmoffatt; 07-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

No clicker in my day , so it was just a signal to come forward , a signal to stop and a signal to stay . Then a reward .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

I use my hand target. Petie would scoot forward as well, he already knew how to hand target, so I put the two together and it worked very nicely for the stand.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Well, if you don't care if he steps his front feet forward, how about if you have him sitting at heel and take a half a baby step forward. Just enough that he gets up and click.
I do the same thing, but instead of stepping forward I step backward. It's easiest if you work against a wall at first, of course, and if your dog knows "back" that helps, just take a very small step backward. If your dog doesn't walk backward already, you can just start in heel next to a wall, turn your shoulders into your dog and take a small step backward. If he moves back in any way, he'll probably have to pick his butt up off the ground.