Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Since 1950

First if you go to a responsible breeder with the thoughts of getting a dog to breed they wont give you one.(At least I wouldn't) Best thing for you to do is buy a good quality bitch and show her. Then think about breeding.
Most will probably want to co own with you. What that means is if you breed the bitch you cant register the puppies without the co owners signature.
And then there is a contract too.
I know a breeder in Texas, she is a nice person and has some nice chihuahua's.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Actually, I *WOULD* get a boy. I'd get a male first, and put the breeding on ohld, at least for a bit.

First of all, it's easier as a new fancier to get a breeder to trust you with a male pup. You'll probably still end up co-owning him at least until he finishes, but you'll get a better male pup than you will a female, as a general rule.

Here's a great article - it's about Poms, but most of the same stuff applies.
http://www.showcasepoms.com/foundation_article.htm

I wouldn't worry about the whens yet. Get a nice male puppy, show him, finish him, and then see what happens. Prove you're serious, and people will start offering you dogs to show or co-own, or even own outright. If he's decent and you've worked with your mentor? There's a good chance you'll be able to lease a bitch to breed to him, or get a stud fee puppy back if she breeds one of her bitches to him. If he's just 'okay'- and a lot of first show dogs are finishable but not necessarily worth breeding to- that's okay too- you've proven that you're serious and you're going to hang in there and not disappear when it gets tough.

Breeding will come- but the showing's going to need to come first.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Did you go to the Houston dog show last weekend?
No I did not.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Keep this in mind too . It's easier to find a good stud for a female than a female to to breed your stud to .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Also keep in mind that the bitch or dog that you get, might not be show quality, let alone breeding quality. Even more so, some dogs that are Champions, shouldn't even be bred.

You can buy a show prospect puppy, but you won't always get a show dog. There is no such thing as a "show puppy", only "show prospects". If a breeder tells you it's a show puppy, you're being fooled. I think it's from about 6 months to 12 months before you will know for a fact your dog is good enough for the ring.

A dog with hip or elbow problems can be shown and finished, but shouldn't be bred. Show fanciers seem to have trouble realizing when their dog shouldn't be bred, and we end up with even more dogs with problems. It takes a good breeder to sit down a realize their dog isn't up to bar to be bred because it just won't contribute to the gene pool. Health testing and x-rays are a good thing to do, but you need to not just do the tests, you need to sit down and be able to say to yourself, "Fluffy isn't good enough". Even if you've spent xxxx amount of money on her, and even if she's a Ch. titled dog.

While it's great to have goals and try to find your foundation dog, you have to be ready to realize your dog isn't good enough.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 PM
txhuskies

Im so happy to see you putting thought into this. I cannot help you with breeding advice, but I wish you luck on everything. I live in Texas, and I could help you out with upcoming shows. The last show I know was the one in Houston, I haven't heard of anything else. You can also goto the AKC website akc.org and they usually have a list of nearby shows, if any. Good luck!

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
For me, they are the role model for being alive.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Longview is this weekend, and Corpus Christi the weekend after that. After that... I'm not sure- I'm done till the fall so haven't been paying attention. :P 99.9% of the dog shows (all-breed, anyway) in Texas are run by Onofrio - www.onofrio.com will have a schedule and all the judging programs.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi LovPets, I tried to respond to your private email but it wouldn't go through so here is my response to you:

I went to the link you have provided and read the gist of what you are looking to do. I would be more then willing to help you!! First, I would honestly forget about breeding at this point. If you plan on eventually breeding Chihuahuas that conform to the AKC standard and want to get your dogs from reputable breeders, they won't give you a second look if you don't show your dogs. Showing tells your peers that you care about what you are doing and shows your commitment to the breed. Showing your dogs and finishing them will give you an idea of the quality you have (mind you, there are plenty of dogs that finish everyday that should not) and what you should aim for. My suggestion to you would be this: if you are honest in a commitment of exhibiting and breeding only the best specimens of the breed, attend the National Specialty. It is the first weeeknd on October in Chicago every year. Plan to go for the weekend (including Friday because that is the day for Sweepstakes (all puppies 6-12 months old). Buy a catalog ( a book that lists all the names of the dogs/breeders in each class) and sit ringside and watch the classes. Make notes in oyur catalog on the dogs you like and the dogs that do not appeal to you. Contact the breeders of the dogs you like, ask them questions, and tell them that you are eventually looking for a dog to show. Be warned, not all breeders are kind to new people. Why?? Alot of them have been burned by new people telling them one thing and doing another. Don't take it personal. I will be going to Nationals. You can visit my website below. Find a Chihuahua Specialty in your area (where do you live??) and go to it. Do the same, get a catalog. Find out about dog shows in your area and go to them as a spectator. Puppyfind and most Yahoolists (or the like) are not good places to get a puppy from. Most reputable breeders do not advertise on lists or places like Puppyfind. Be prepared to wait (I know you said you were going to look in a year), a well bred puppy will be worth the wait. Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any other questions.......
Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleigh View Post
You can visit my website below. Find a Chihuahua Specialty in your area (where do you live??) and go to it.
I'm not sure what website you are talking about. I did not see one. I live in Amarillo, Texas. Its located in the northern part of Texas.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Also, in the e-mail I mentioned that I am forgetting breeding for now. I don't want to start breeding until I show the breed and get to know it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleigh View Post
If you plan on eventually breeding Chihuahuas that conform to the AKC standard and want to get your dogs from reputable breeders, they won't give you a second look if you don't show your dogs.
I do plan to show all of my dogs.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Amberleigh Chihuahuas