Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Active Pup

Default Chihuahua Puppies

First off I want you all to know that I have not bred any Chihuahuas, there is no pregnant mother, and there are no Chihuahua puppies. Yes, I have a male Chihuahua, Caden, but he is neutered. I am not irresponsible and am going to college to become a veterinarian.

I am looking into breeding Chihuahuas. I am not taking this lightly. I am looking into everything before even thinking of buying a female and male to breed. I'm making sure I know all the pros and cons before starting: how to do the breeding, how to choose both a good mother and father, how to help with having the puppies unless there has to be a c-section, how to properly raise the little puppies especially if the mother doesn't make it, what to screen mom and dad for, and more. I am not looking for any random dogs I can find either. I am reading alot of different books about Chihuahuas along with getting any information I can acquire from experienced breeders.

I have a vague idea of when to breed the female. I know that it is best to start breeding her when she is 2 years old. I was thinking of breeding again when she is 4, but I was told not to wait two years between pregnancies because of the risk of pyometra. I was told to breed at age 2 and 3. I only plan on breeding her twice (when she is 2 then again at 3) then get her spayed. I will not give her up; I will keep her as my own loving pet/show dog.

I plan on showing these dogs. So I need to find a reputable breeder of Chihuahuas that I can talk to about owning one without having to spay or neuter (or someone told me about co-owning, but Iím not sure what this is. Can someone explain this?).

Since I do not have a male I am also looking into getting a male Chihuahua. I was told that using a stud would probably be better since I will be conducting a small scale breeding practice; however, I would rather have him with me at all times, so I would rather own him.

I donít plan on breeding for a couple years and I donít plan on buying either Chihuahua for at least another year. Since I want to buy these Chihuahuas in a year or so how seriously are reputable breeders going to take me?

Also, if any of you are from Texas and know of any dog shows happening soon or if any of you are Chihuahua breeders who show their little ones I would love any comments or advice you could give me.

If you have any questions about what I plan on doing donít hesitate to ask.

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Couch Pototoe City

"I have a vague idea of when to breed the female. I know that it is best to start breeding her when she is 2 years old. I was thinking of breeding again when she is 4, but I was told not to wait two years between pregnancies because of the risk of pyometra. I was told to breed at age 2 and 3. I only plan on breeding her twice (when she is 2 then again at 3) then get her spayed. I will not give her up; I will keep her as my own loving pet/show dog.

I plan on showing these dogs. So I need to find a reputable breeder of Chihuahuas that I can talk to about owning one without having to spay or neuter (or someone told me about co-owning, but Iím not sure what this is. Can someone explain this?)."
Okay for of all, obviously since you are working towards the veternary field, pyometra is an infection. It can occur in any pregnancy, or after delivery. Treated with antibiotics but best is surgery/spay. I am taking the idea that you mean- have one litter, skip the next heat, and then second litter. Since you have been studying chihuahuas, I am sure you already know the risks with toy dogs and C sections. You want the male smaller than the female seems to help.
A co-own I never had a problem with- until the last one.. If you co-own- get everything in writing. You may think you can trust that person to follow through with their demands, but get it in writing! I have a seriously strained relationship now with a person I have known for over 7 years because of a co own. Up until this situation, I never had a problem. Just always get everything in writing- who is expecting what, who has the medical power to do things etc etc etc..
Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Kotah BEAR

I have no advice on the breeding part of this but what I will say is...

Congrats on taking this VERY seriously. I know lots of people don't and they rush into it.
Also Chis are adorable little dogs, and I would LOVE to own a little female chi sometime in the future.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Let it be

I will leave the advice up to the wonderful breeders who have tons of experience under their belts. Take what they say and think it over. They're brilliant!

I want to say this is awesome you are putting thought into it. Chihuahuas are so poorly and overbred as is that it's nice to see someone who is taking the breed and breeding seriously.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Top Dog

Hello! (I'm the one who saw Lovpetz on another forum and told her about here hoping that some of our breeders could help her out). I hope I got the pyo info right, especially considering she will spay after the two breeding I thought it would be safest to breed her early and spay her while the uterus is still nice and healthy. Check out this thread (read through the whole page) http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27644

Of course if for some reason you cannot afford or support a litter that soon after the first waiting would be a better option.

I hope you get all the information you need here and continue to stick around, It's really a great place, welcome to the forum

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

Did you go to the Houston dog show last weekend?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 AM
RedyreRottweilers

First of all, forget about breeding for now. Responsible breeders know and understand that only the best of the BEST should be used for breeding, in particular with male dogs.

IMO, as a breeder, there is no reason to keep a male dog for breeding unless you plan to stand him to outside bitches. With today's technology and advances in frozen and chilled semen, and artificial insemination, you have access to any dog on the PLANET.

Before you become a breeder, you need to become a FANCIER. This means getting to know breeders who have been successful in your breed, beginning to learn your breed (this can take YEARS of self education, and careful mentoring by experienced people), attending and learning about dog shows, and learning about the mechanics and whyfores of breeding and whelping.

With all bitches breeding carries a risk, but with the tiny toys like Chis, the risk is even greater. Realize from the start that breeding, while it can be a wonderful experience with the miracle of life, it almost always includes the miracle of death as well. I have not had the tragic experience of losing a bitch in whelp, but it happens.

I would recommend if you want to really get involved in your breed, that you join breed specific mailing lists (you can do a search at Yahoo Groups), and try to find someone in your area who can mentor you, and help you eventually find a nice puppy to start with.

If you will PM me, I can put you in touch with a person I know who is well versed in the breed, has bred numerous CHs, and who I am sure would take the time to help you.

Good luck, and welcome to Chaz.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Agree....take lots of time before heading into this . Serious breeders grow into this . Don't just buy with planning to breed . Get your female from a serious breeder , show , test , and then decide after 2 years or more .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

I would become a member of your regional Chihuahua club and if possible but IMO the best, the national club. Links:
http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/
There are a few clubs in TX:
http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/member_clubs.htm
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
BusterLove

I agree with the don't think abotu breeding yet.
I am not a breeder but I read about it like crazy and what I've learnt it that there is no point in breeding unless you know your breed back to fornt and inside out, what genetic disorders you shoudl be testing for, what exactly the standard is and what is in standard, how to find a stud that complements your female.

I am looking at getting an Aussie shepherd in the next 18months - 2 years, it will be my first sport dog and my first show dog, I won't be breeding. First thing I've done is talk to Aussie owners and printed the standar and I carry it everywhere and read it every chance I get, on the train, before bed, when I'm bored etc and I've been looking at pics of Grand Champs and comparing them to the standard and other champs.
I'm looking at breeders and reading everything I can about the breed, but still, before I even take one on I will be meeting a lot of them if I can, I havn;t got the chance to see a lot of shows atm but I'm going to whatever I can and watching the breeds I'minterested in.

Just remember to love the breed and don't love to breed.

Good luck and its so nice to hear about someone actually taking breeding seriously though