Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Default Look what I found...

http://www.madison.com/tct/top5/297345

Quote:
KINGSTON -- The Wisconsin Humane Society purchased one of the largest commercial dog breeding facilities in the state, Puppy Haven, and it will cease operations and find homes for more than 1,100 dogs.

The transaction between WHS and the owner, Sun Prairie resident Wallace Havens, occurred after Havens was willing to substantially discount the sale of the business, although the sale price is not to be disclosed based upon the agreement. Havens is ready to retire from the practice after 34 years.

"This is a happy deal, not where the cops come out," Havens, 72, said. "I've been working with the Wisconsin Humane Society for seven years because it's the nicest place to sell my dogs to."

Havens created the "designer dog" Puggle, which is a cross-breed between a pug and a beagle, and has sold them across the country to pet stores and famous clients, according to Havens.

"We have 30 different breeds and 75 different crosses," Havens said. "Each time we have a new litter, it's been like our artwork."

Havens will retain the 20 acres of land the kennel occupies and sell just the dogs and the equipment used in his breeding operation. The decision to purchase and close the kennel was made by the WHS Board of Directors after a good deal of time considering the best course of action for the dogs and WHS's ability to obtain the funds necessary to make the purchase.

According to a WHS press release, the living conditions for dogs in mass breeding facilities do not meet the medical, social or emotional needs of dogs, making the purchase consistent with WHS's mission to create a community that values animals and treats them with respect and kindness.

The society also hopes to educate potential adopters about "puppy mills," discourage people from obtaining dogs bred at "puppy mills," who are often found in pet stores.

PetSmart Charities has provided equipment to care for the animals, including leashes, collars, toys, food bowls and grooming supplies. The chain store regularly hosts animal adoption days.

According to the WHS, the transfer of dogs will occur over several months so each dog can be provided with the best possible care while WHS continues to serve animals from the community. The dogs began leaving the kennel for the WHS facility in Milwaukee on Thursday, and about 300 had been transferred as of Friday. But the overall transfer of dogs may take until September, according to WHS.

The Puppy Haven property will not be used again to breed dogs, none of the dogs at the facility will be sold for further breeding and Havens will not receive windfall profits from the sale, according to WHS.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

Yes because living breathing creatures can be considered the artwork of a corperation, YUK.

I guess this means a huge new facility for the shelter as well that's good.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 AM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
"I've been working with the Wisconsin Humane Society for seven years because it's the nicest place to sell my dogs to."
This comment confuses me... and also, I mean it's good that they're shutting it down, but to do so they had to give the scumbag who runs it a VERY large sum of money. I'm all for shutting down puppy mills, but I wish they hadn't PURCHASED it. If the conditions were as bad as they say, would they not have been able to just shut it down?

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
"This is a happy deal, not where the cops come out," Havens, 72, said. "I've been working with the Wisconsin Humane Society for seven years because it's the nicest place to sell my dogs to."
EXCUSE ME? She SELLS her dogs to the WHS? WTF is that about?

And she is absolutely disgusting...

Quote:
"We have 30 different breeds and 75 different crosses," Havens said. "Each time we have a new litter, it's been like our artwork."
Artwork? Really? *sighs*

Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Shame on the humane society for putting even more money into the hands of scum like that kennel owner.

Since it's ok for the humane society to buy dogs from them, why not the general public?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Squishy face

Well, at least those dogs will be freed from their hell...

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Well, at least those dogs will be freed from their hell...
Yeah but that goes to show that anyone who buys a puppy because they feel sorry for it stuck in a petstore is doing the same thing.
I don't think they should have paid him for the dogs...and whats with the comment of "selling dogs to the humane society" this sounds like a total scam to me, run by the people who should be shutting this kind of stuff down.
Like someone else mentioned, if they conditions were so bad, why didn't they close it down and fine the hell out of him? No, instead they paid him to do what most of us feel is wrong...
This saddens me.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Squishy face

Well, its EXTREMELY hard to close down a puppy mill. With the current law, they are EXEMPT from animal cruelty laws that apply to pets because their animals are considered livestock. Also, the USDA, who is supposed to inspect these facilities doesn't really care about puppymills and won't shut them down for anything. This was probably the only way the WHS could think of to shut down that puppymill.

Laws need to be changed, but we're too afraid to change the law because we don't want good breeders caught up in the mix.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I'm glad the place is getting shut down, really. But you guys are right there are some oddities in the story.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

that part made me want to vomit.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.