Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
When training or using treats do you have them in your hand? If so that is the first problem.
Your correct, by giving any attention, even 'no', is self rewarding because she has your attention, even if it is negative, then you give her a reward......
I would suggest that you start with focus games like 'watch me', which should be done in the home, then outside, then finally in other loactions for distractions.

I am also a little confused, your parents had show dogs and they can't/don't help you with training this dog? If they had show dogs, they should know how to fix these unwanted behaviours.
Usually when training with treats I keep them in my pocket and don't bring one out until I'm actually giving her one.

I'll work with her with watch me. She does that perfectly at home, or if we're just in the yard. I'll work with her when we're at the park and get back to you, lol.

When my parents had the dogs we lived in a bigger center and my parents were never the ones to train them, so yeah. They know basic stuff and they've tried helping but most of the time their dogs were trained for them. And luckily all of the dogs my parents had were practically perfectly behaved from the start. This is the first dog they've ever had problems like this with.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! that makes sense now! LOL... yeah.. my dogs know i'm a big mush, if some else tells them no and i'm around they look at me like "mommy... PULLLLLEEEEAAASE!"... maybe I should work on that...
Lol yeah that was a problem of mine at first. But now I'm just so frustrated that I got over it, haha.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

wow, this is going horribly. I'm attempting to work with her right now and failing miserably.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Please define "work with her until she watches me"?

Next, try this.

First, use something different than you have been using, something soft, and easy to swallow, such as string cheese or hotdogs. Cut it up into small pieces. I split a hotdog lengthwise, and then slice it the thickness of a nickel. Partly frozen hotdogs are much easier to cut into small pieces.

Cut up a lot, put it in a little bag, and keep it in the freezer so you have it when you get ready to train.

Next, take about 5-6 pieces of the bait in each hand. Feed your dog all of the bait, alternating hands, one piece at a time. Each time you feed her a piece of bait, say YES! in a happy tone of voice. Feed her all the bait, one piece at a time, saying YES! each time, as fast as you can feed them to her, one right after the other.

Then get the same amount again. This time, tho, after you show her you have the bait in both hands, close your hands, leaving your arms down by your side in a normal position, and wait for the dog to look at you.

Ignore everything the dog does as far as licking, sniffing, bumping, or nudging your hands. Be QUIET, be STILL, and wait for the dog to look at your eyes. Pay close attention to you don't MISS her looking at your eyes.

The SECOND she makes eye contact say YES!!! and feed her all the bait, first from one hand, and then from the other.

Then go again. Wait for her to look. Only this time, feed her one piece of bait. (don't forget the YES! Say yes EACH time she does it right, and you are going to give her a piece of bait.)

Every now and then, toss a piece of bait across the room and let her run to get it. As she comes back towards you to work for more bait by making eye contact, say COME. Don't say COME unless you are SURE she is coming back to you. When she gets there, she gets another YES, and another cookie.

Work this "lookie for the cookie" game until she is really dying to play it all the time. You will know when she is ready for you to start introducing distractions, because she will come up to you and OBVIOUSLY look up into your eyes, as if to say, ok, I'm LOOKING, where is the cookie?

At this point, you can put the dog on a leash. Loop the leash through the belt loop on your left hip so you can work hands free. Go to an area where there is MINIMAL distraction. Change your bait up a little bit. If you have been using hotdogs, use cheese, or cooked table meats, etc. SOmething she will work HARD to get. Help her to be successful by not making the distractions to severe at first.

Try this for several days and let us know how it is working.

You also need to develop a positive happy fun upbeat attitude while you are training your dog. If you are discouraged, or negative, the dog will ALWAYS feel this, and will not want to work with you.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Thanks so much!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Yay! Progress. Took her for a nice big long run and lots of play time cuz she's behaving herself so well! Didn't even jump on the neighbor when she greeted him! lol