Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Default Help needed please.

Okay, so I have a 2 year old rottie cross and I'm just getting so frustrated! She keeps doing so many things that I keep trying to correct and feel like I'm just not getting anywhere. She's been through basic obedience, but that didn't even help. I'll work with her and she'll be fine one day, and then the next all of her training just goes out the window. She gets distracted so easily it drives me crazy and I don't know what to do about it. She doesn't even behave for treats anymore. Ahh.

She's my first dog (we've had other dogs in the house, but my parents always dealt with them and they were purebred show dogs, so yeah) and there's no one in my area that can help me with this so I'm hoping someone on here can help me!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Your Mom

Do you practice NILIF at home? For many dogs, especially in the beginning stages of training, very strict NILIF needs to be practiced for them to fully understand what is expected of them at home.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

It would be easier to help if we had specific behaviors that are an issue. Also, what have you done to try to train her, what methods have you used?

What treats do you use and how? She might need different treats or toys to be motivated. When you say she "doesn't even behave for treats anymore" what is it she's doing, what is it you're doing? Are you luring or rewarding?

The things that you're trying to correct, how are you trying to correct them?

For the pottying issues, first rule out any medical causes - UTI, incontinence, etc. Then get her on a regular schedule of pottying - I would go back to a puppy schedule, taking her out every couple of hours and after eating, drinking.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisMorphine View Post
Do you practice NILIF at home? For many dogs, especially in the beginning stages of training, very strict NILIF needs to be practiced for them to fully understand what is expected of them at home.
Yeah I do. And she'll be fine for a couple days and then it'll all go out the window and I feel like I'm restarting again. And I work with her almost every single day so it's not like she's just forgetting or something.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
It would be easier to help if we had specific behaviors that are an issue. Also, what have you done to try to train her, what methods have you used?

What treats do you use and how? She might need different treats or toys to be motivated. When you say she "doesn't even behave for treats anymore" what is it she's doing, what is it you're doing? Are you luring or rewarding?

The things that you're trying to correct, how are you trying to correct them?

For the pottying issues, first rule out any medical causes - UTI, incontinence, etc. Then get her on a regular schedule of pottying - I would go back to a puppy schedule, taking her out every couple of hours and after eating, drinking.
She has no potty issues. That's one thing I've never had problems with. She was trained to go outside and on walks within two days of having her at home, lol.

Okay, issues. Jumping, on everyone, all the time. That's the biggest one that drives me and everyone else in the house nuts. Also real annoying when on walks. Not fun when a 100lb dog is pulling you down the street, haha. Not sitting and staying. Not coming when called. Not heeling. There's more, I just can't think of them. As they come up, I'll add.

I use little dry liver treat things. She absolutely loves them. The method I use is ignoring bad behavior or saying "no!" or "bad" when I catch her doing something bad. Like when she jumps when I come in the door, I'll say "no" or "down" and then make her sit nicely before I pet her. But the thing is I think she even view me saying "no" as positive attention. So that's not really helping.

The only time I have ever used treats as a lure is when she decides to take off out the door. Otherwise I wait until she does what I'm asking before I treat her and tell her she's a good puppy and all that. And when I'm luring her I always use a different treat then what I use when I'm trying to train her. But the whole not behaving for treats anymore, its like, hm, how can I put it. She like doesn't even really care that she'll get rewarded for good behavior some days. She just gets in this mood where she doesn't care, she's going to be bad all day and that's the end of it. And then other days she'll be perfectly well behaved all on her own without me even telling her what to do or asking for anything.

And its so hard when training her, she's gets distracted so easily. I think that was my biggest problem when I had in her obedience training. She wouldn't listen to me or the trainers because all the other dogs and people were far more interesting. And when I'm working one on one with her I'll try to make sure there's no distractions, and she'll be good, and then as soon as I try to use it in "every day life" she'll just get distracted all over again and we're right back where we started. Again.

So yeah. Give me ideas, correct me if I'm doing something wrong. I won't be offended lol. I just really want to get somewhere with my baby. It doesn't help that my mom's getting so frustrated she's talking about getting rid of her either. Bleh.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

When training or using treats do you have them in your hand? If so that is the first problem.
Your correct, by giving any attention, even 'no', is self rewarding because she has your attention, even if it is negative, then you give her a reward......
I would suggest that you start with focus games like 'watch me', which should be done in the home, then outside, then finally in other loactions for distractions.

I am also a little confused, your parents had show dogs and they can't/don't help you with training this dog? If they had show dogs, they should know how to fix these unwanted behaviours.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
<----Thanks Allie

What's NILIF? sorry, but i've never heard of it....
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-vie-en-vert View Post
She has no potty issues. That's one thing I've never had problems with. She was trained to go outside and on walks within two days of having her at home, lol.
Ah sorry, I misread.

Quote:
And when I'm working one on one with her I'll try to make sure there's no distractions, and she'll be good, and then as soon as I try to use it in "every day life" she'll just get distracted all over again and we're right back where we started. Again.
A common problem...Add distractions gradually, from a distance and moving gradually closer. Each new place you work with her, each new distraction is a new exercise and you need to essentially start the training over until she has been in enough different situations to be able to generalize her training. A sit in the house is different from a sit in the yard which is different from a sit at the park which is different from a sit at the park with other animals and people around.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
What's NILIF? sorry, but i've never heard of it....
Nothing In Life Is Free

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Nothing In Life Is Free

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! that makes sense now! LOL... yeah.. my dogs know i'm a big mush, if some else tells them no and i'm around they look at me like "mommy... PULLLLLEEEEAAASE!"... maybe I should work on that...