Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Iggy and Kitty Mom

There's a place here called "wipe your paws" that is a do it yourself grooming place...I may try it out since every time Raika has a bath I have a mess of hair in the tub to clean up. I'm not sure how much it is...I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Felurian

I've seen websites about those kinds of facilities and I think they're a great idea - as long as they're disinfected well between clients and make sure Railka has her shots completed before you try it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Manchesters

Default Getting Rid Of Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raika's Mom
There's a place here called "wipe your paws" that is a do it yourself grooming place...I may try it out since every time Raika has a bath I have a mess of hair in the tub to clean up. I'm not sure how much it is...I'll have to check that out.
Many folks have never been shown how to SKIN brush a dog. Most will simply brush over the top of the hair. This is kinda hard to describe...but I will try.

First thing you need a high quality slicker brush....Warner makes the best and from what I understand they are still making them.

Second thing is to lay the dog on its side and KEEP IT THERE, lol. If you are right handed you start at the butt. You take your left hand and push the hair to your left toward the head. Hold the hair down, and use the slicker brush to PULL the hair out from under your left hand. As you brush, move your left hand to your left toward the head. Be gentle with the slicker--don't put hardly any pressure on it. If you try brushing your own arm with it you will get the idea of how to do it.

With a big dog, do this twice on each side---first time on the upper part of the side, second time on the lower part and belly.

I once had a cousin come over to visit and they brought their Pom with them. When I picked the poor dog up it was full of nothing but mats! But her hubby had brushed the dog before they left. But he had only brushed the surface of the hair.

While we chatted, I got the dog onto my lap, and started slicker brushing her. Well, I ended up with half a paper grocery bag full of hair, and they left with only half the dog they arrived with! Jim was absolutely flabbergasted! Lily told him they were getting one of those slicker brushes IMMEDIATELY and that he WOULD brush the dog the way I had done. I told her that since Penny had been stripped of mats, if they brushed her the regular way with the regular brush and just made sure they got down to the skin the dog would be OK. You can usually just do the slicker brush routine every couple of months.

Soooo, that is how ya get rid of doggie hair!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Taco Dog

Great way to explain it Manchesters! I am no good with describing things on the internet, but that is exactly how I keep Precious mat free. I wish my clients would actually do this method.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Ol'Dogger

Dryers used in shops most put out too much heat. I never used heated dryers in the shop just air blowers like the back side of your cannister vacumme that just blows air. Blowing the dog dry, not cage drying, gets out the rest of the hair left behind from brushing really helps the shedding problem. To use those heated dryers you have to have some smarts and unfortunately most of the people that shops hire for bathers are not real bright in that dept. Sad when any dog dies because of someones neglect and stupidity.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Ol'Dogger

Good job manchesterz explaining the brushing!Then after brushing bathe and get that vacumme out and blow dry and then you can turn it around and vacumme up the mess!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

If you take your dog to a do it yourself grooming shop to get out undercoat... The best time to brush a dog is when it is in the tub and sudsed up with shampoo. Take a slicker and go over the dog. I do this with Husky's, Pom's, Newf's, Pyr's...for all double coated breeds this works wonderful getting the dead coat out, with no pain, and any one can do it. Even some mats glide easiely out. If we didn't do this we would all have carpal tunnel trying to brush every single dog out completely We then dry them with the high velocity dryer until the dog is 110% dry, dry down on the skin (our dryers never run warm or hot, only cool, its the force that blows out the coat)...the undercoat just blows out. After the dog is completely dry we then brush them out some more. Mainly all the coat is out of the dogs coat after the drying. This makes our job easy, its easier on the dog and not painful like brushing out completely. This is how we can fit in 9 Newfoundland dogs in one day
If you have access to a high velocity dryer, this is the best way to groom a double coated dog. If you groom at home, brush the dog when the dog is sudsed up with shampoo...the undercoat just glides out. Nice and not painful for the dog.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Many folks have never been shown how to SKIN brush a dog. Most will simply brush over the top of the hair.
It's unbelievabel how many people only brush the outer coat the undercoats are usually matted solid. Some people just don't catch on to proper brushing, even when shown how to do it properly.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Twin 2.0

I told this story to one of our groomers and she thinks that groomer should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. It's one of the basics that you never leave a dog in a heat dryer without checking on it at least every 5 minutes. Our dryers at work are like the ones Athe uses, no heating elements involved, just room temperature air blown at high speed. The drying room is usually a little warmer to begin with anyway, so none of the dogs catch a chill.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Felurian

Zoom, hopefully the groomer will be prosecuted under the new animal cruelty statutes in Tennessee that make it a felony, rather than a misdemeanor. Civil law still needs some re-vamping, as very little consideration is given to the emotional ties we have with our pets.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian