Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

Arrow Remember Congo? Congo, 3 other dogs euthanized...

Congo, 3 other dogs euthanized after another attack
by Robert Stern and Linda Stein/The Times
Wednesday June 18, 2008, 11:55 AM

PRINCETON TOWNSHIP -- Congo the German shepherd was euthanized Wednesday after attacking again -- this time a member of his owners' family, authorities said.

The local couple who fought a successful high-profile campaign to spare their beloved Congo from a death sentence after he mauled a landscaper on their property last year had Congo and three of their other dogs euthanized Wednesday morning after the dogs attacked a relative visiting their home Tuesday, police said.

In the latest incident, Congo was one of four dogs that attacked 75-year-old Constance Ladd, the mother of one of the dogs' owners, Elizabeth James, police detective Sgt. Ernie Silagyi said Wednesday.

Ladd had puncture wounds and lacerations to the top of her head, chest and right forearm and injured her hip when she fell to the ground as the dogs pounced on her, Silagyi said.
Authorities learned of the incident when Elizabeth James called 911 at about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday to report the attack, Silagyi said.

The attack occurred when Ladd walked out her daughter's Stuart Road West house into the yard, police said.

Patrolman Chris King was the first responder on the scene and administered first aid before the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad rushed Ladd, who lives in Branchburg, to the University Medical Center at Princeton hospital, police said.

Although police said it wasn't immediately clear what sparked the attack or which of the dogs owned by Guy James and his wife Elizabeth actually bit Ladd, the Princetons' Regional Health Officer David Henry said all four apparently inflicted bite wounds.

Despite the severity of the incident and the family's decision to euthanize the dogs, the victim's son-in-law, Guy James, strongly objected to its characterization by police as an attack by his dogs.

"I don't want people who were supportive of Congo (after last year's landscaper mauling) to think they were supporting a bad dog," Guy James said in an interview. He said Tuesday's unfortunate encounter between the dogs and his mother-in-law "wasn't an attack at all. It was dogs jumping."

He said the version of events described by police was not what happened.

"My mother-in-law forgot the dogs were there," he said. "She went out one of the back doors and the dogs were sitting there. They wanted to come into the house, heard the door knob open and they jumped up."

The Princetons' animal control officer Mark Johnson said the dogs were euthanized at 8 a.m. Wednesday at Princeton Animal Hospital and that the decision to do so was the family's alone, not done at the behest or under threat from his office.

Guy James said the only reason he decided to put the dogs down was because he anticipated that Johnson would push for having them euthanized anyway, as he did unsuccessfully with Congo after last year's incident with the landscaper.

The other three dogs involved in Tuesday's attack and euthanized were Lucia, Hunter and Bear, all German shepherds, according to police.

Follow this developing story online and read more in Thursday's edition of The Times.

Contact Robert Stern
Contact Linda Stein
Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I remember that story. And I said then that he should've been PTS.

And this is a classic example why I have and firmly believe in the "1 bit and you're out!" policy. Dogs who bite will bite again.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
overdogged

yup. reminds me a lot of that golden retriever "max" in connecticut several years ago. he bit a kid and everybody rallied behind him "save max save max!!" and then he bit another kid even worse.

i don't think that a dog who bites once is necessarily going to bite again, but preventing that second bite requires major changes in lifestyle and addressing the problem that caused the bite in the first place. that's not going to happen if the owners see the dog as a poor blameless victim who did nothing wrong.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Wow...the owner is in some serious denial. "The dogs were just jumping??" What about the puncture wounds to the lady's head, arms, and chest??
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

How very sad ...............I feel terrible for all concerned ......especially if any dog didn't attack . Sounds to me like the dogs must always had " issues " or they wouldn't have wanted all PTS.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

That's terrible.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
"I don't want people who were supportive of Congo (after last year's landscaper mauling) to think they were supporting a bad dog," Guy James said in an interview. He said Tuesday's unfortunate encounter between the dogs and his mother-in-law "wasn't an attack at all. It was dogs jumping."
apparently they WERE supporting a bad dog.

last time i checked, dogs jumping didn't cause puncture wounds resembling teeth.

and i certainly would never allow an old lady near my extremely friendly and yet extremely rambunctious Roofus, simply because I am intelligent enough to know that rowdy large dogs and frail old people don't mix well.

So he's a dumbass on at LEAST two counts.

edit: I just can't spell :P
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, in the original case it was possible (even likely) that the dogs were severely provoked, a situation in which 1 bite and you are out is obviously unjust.

However, this pretty much settles it. Provocation or not in the first case, that's not what happened here. Which then brings serious question to what happened the first time . . . perhaps the gardener had good reason to be afraid and defending himself with a rake.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Felurian

Sounds to me like a case of stupid owner syndrome all the way around.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Quote:
a situation in which 1 bite and you are out is obviously unjust.
Think the first incident involved over 95 alleged total punctures...so yeah...it went beyond 1...lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/