Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Active Pup

I would second the hound notion, although the only ones that come to mind that would be remotely close to the 25lb mark would be beagles.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

No, it's not too soon if it feels right. You can never, ever replace Tinder ... but another dog will help fill the great void that's in your life right now. Don't rush though, make sure you choose well.

Hound breeds are great, but some can be difficult to housebreak ... so if adopting get an adult that already has proven itself as housebroken. If you specifically want longer life then a smaller breed is your best bet, as generally speaking the larger the dog the shorter the life span. To research breeds try http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

From that site, click the words "All Breeds" at the top of the page. It has short capsules of information on most breeds and is a good starting point. A mixed breed is a possibility as well. Although many can be generally healthier than purebreds, it can also go the other way. Some mixed breeds unfortunately inherit health problems from both (or more) breeds that comprise their mix ... "hybrid vigor" sometimes works and sometimes doesn't! Say away from poodles and poodle mixes if you want to avoid epilepsy.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Agree .... you'll know if it's meant to be . I swear my Goldens at The Bridge sent Ollie ..... he was my one and only search . You'll know !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

It is not too soon. You are ready when you feel ready. That might be the same day or next year. Its different with every person, and every grief. Sometimes there are external reasons. When one of my cats, Bago, had to be put to sleep, we were at the shelter that afternoon, looking, because we had another cat who was elderly and territorial, and we didn't want her to be used to being an only cat. I felt a little bad about it, but the adoption counselor at the shelter said something like: "We don't judge. There's no too soon, if its what you need and your heart can take it. And you're saving a really nice boy." And we did. Shadow is a lovely cat.

I don't know alot about small dogs, but people have given some pretty good advice. I'd definately consult petfinder . . . you may find the perfect new companion, who needs you as well.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Uffda!

I'd ask about the personality of the chi/min pin. I fostered a min pin for awhile in my apartment and it was pretty difficult. They have quite the bark and they like to use it. They are kind of bossy dogs too. My foster had been moved around a lot so she had quite a few issues. She was a sweetheart, but she really hated the noises and environment of an apartment. She got a home with a nice family now that has a big yard where she gets all the attention as an only dog. They love her to death and I couldn't be happier for her. Of course each dog has their own personality and it would definitely be worth it to ask!!

The only other small breed I have personal experience with is the boston terrier. They fit your size requirements pretty well. I know you are worried about breathing problems. It's usually only a problem on very hot and humid days (as long as the dog doesn't have an elongated pallet or narrow nasil passages) Since you are thinking about adopting I think those problems will be already known with the dog. I usually just make sure to walk my dog in the morning or the evening and I haven't had any problems. In fact, he pants less than my parents beagle on a walk. Of course, with short faces there's usually snorting, snoring, and various other odd noises. I think they are cute, but if they aren't something you will be able able to tolerate a boston definitely wouldn't be for you. I usually go for a two mile walk with Joey everyday, but he could definitely go longer if I wanted too. That and a playing session usually leaves him pretty laid back during the day. He does like to pull out his toys and play or chew on his cow hooves, but he isn't pestering us. And if we're sitting down he loves to curl up next to us and nap. Again, this is my experience with my boston. Each dog has their own personality and if you go to a breed specific rescue (or even some regular rescues) that has a foster program the foster family will be able to tell you all about the dog's personality.

Good luck in your search!

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Bostons rock!

WHat about Boston terriers? I have had won and are great dogs! Mine enjoyed long walks too.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
As far as breeds go, I'd look into Whippets or Italian Greyhounds. Most fall under 25 lbs, they're quiet, calm, and easily trainable.
Italian greyhounds are buggers to housetrain, though.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Active Pup

I can so relate to you. When we lost our dog about 6 weeks ago, I became obsessed with getting another one. I have searched and searched on craigslist and petfinder also. I am too feeling guilty for replacing mine but I know I can give another one so much love.