Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Fishies!

Default Borzoi vs Deerhound

Well?

They're about the same size. The coat seems a bit different, what else? Afghans while we're at it?

(The climate here is really not suitable for a Saluki!)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Big Dog

All sight hounds but all different personality types and coat care.

It depends on what you are looking for in your sighthound.

As for the weather, a sweater and a warm couch is all a saluki will ask for.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

Salukis are furrier than you think and they grow a winter coat. I can assure you it gets plenty cold in the mideast in winter especially at night. the saluki should run smaller than the other two. I am told the borzoi is just as difficult to train as other tazi types.
the deerhound OTH is supposed to be much more trainable, however i have been told by a someone i trust that they aren't always that sharp either.
i know my salXgrey is dumb as a post, yet he learned everything the breeder said he wouldn't like sit, stay and heel. housebreaking was a PITA. he's smart enough to know when i drop the tail gate on the truck and open the gate it's time to go for a run and he heads straight for the truck.
so really the big difference is the amount of effort it'll take to train and size and appearance. if you want to run them the deerhound will consistantly have more prey drive and put more effort into the chase also there is no legal quarry in the states they can't kill or hold.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Taxiderpy

Didn't respond to this earlier, because all I know about deerhounds is from hearsay, and a lot of it is conflicting.

One consistent thing I have heard about them, is that they are crazy puppies until 4 years old, and then they settle down into mature adults that lounge around all day. Their gene pool is much smaller than some of the other sighthounds in the US. It's really hard to find lines that are free of osteosarcoma, bloat, factor VII (a blood factor in the spleen which usually causes death under anesthesia, dogs that carry it can never be anesthetized), and temperament problems. When we tried to find a deerhound for Robert, we could only find two breeders we felt comfortable getting a dog from, and neither of those breeders could find males unrelated to their females to breed that didn't have the above mentioned problems.

What are you wanting a sighthound for? Companion? Show? Coursing? Other athletic sports? If you really like deerhounds, but want to stay away from health problems you can try to hunt down some of the guys that breed american staghounds. They stay pretty underground though, which is frustrating because I'd really like a dog from those lines some day and still haven't been able to find them! Some staghound lines still carry a lot of the deerhound traits like the wire coat, but are much healthier.

As far as training sighthounds, it seems like it's up to the individual dog rather than breeds as a whole. Strider is extremely intelligent. He took a few days to housebreak at 9 weeks old. He had the right idea on the first day, any accidents after that were our fault because we didn't let him out right when he asked us to. He knows all kinds of little "parlor tricks", and is trained to be a medical alert dog. He does basic tracking, we're going to step up his training on that and try to get him to some tracking trials because he really enjoys it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
if you want to run them the deerhound will consistantly have more prey drive and put more effort into the chase also there is no legal quarry in the states they can't kill or hold.
Very true! If you want a hunting dog in a borzoi, there are some lines out there that are more consistent coursers/hunters than others. Strider's sire is great on coyotes and rabbits. Strider thinks raccoons and rats are his mortal enemies. He's cleaned out a lot of rats, but I haven't let him go after the raccoons. I'm sure he'd win, but I'm too afraid of him losing an eye in the process.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Top Dog

Romy
what are you wanting the stag for? i can put you on to plenty of people but they may not be interested in letting an untried pup go to a nonhunting home. if you talk w/ them they may be willing to let you have an adult that simply isn't cutting it in the field.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Taxiderpy

Sent you a private message pops.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Big Dog

Pops2, do you take your Saluki hunting?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Big Dog

My Saluki live outside a year around. I built sturdy doghouses for them and they are perfectly happy outside. They need plenty of freedom to run and this way it is easier to provide. I let them out several times every day without headache washing them and their feet, when it is rainy. My dogs chase deer, rabbits and foxes as much as they can. In a few minutes I am taking off with them again, good vermin killers.
Winters in Virginia are pretty mild, temperature drops below freezing at night, but very little of snow. Plenty of hay and a good meat with phat helps.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Couch Pototoe City

Femka is known in our family as " the black bullet". Raccoons, squirrels, even a bear. She is the " mighty hunter" in this family.
Zubin on the other hand was rather slow to develop into a " hunter". Whether it was his physical or mental maturity- its hard to say which. Its only the last 6 months that he has " turned it on". Co incidence or not, it did not start until after Hotties death. ( either taking a back seat to hottie, or with time he grew up mentally.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
factor VII (a blood factor in the spleen which usually causes death under anesthesia, dogs that carry it can never be anesthetized), and temperament problems.
Whoa, I didn't know that! So if the dog gets cancer or something else that requires operation, what happens? Is there an alternative?