Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Active Pup

Default Spousal Training Tactics Differ.....

we just got a pit puppy not too long ago and already we are having "conflicts" of interest when it comes to his training. I have a quite a bit more experience than my husband when it comes to training but he insists on doing things his way. For example, when it comes to horsing around with the pup, they play extremly rough to the point that the "play" growl is no longer a play growl. Its scary. Now the pup is starting to bite, and my husband will correct him by yelling and sending him to his "bed". I dont know how to express to him that its his fault that the puppy is biting cause of the rough play. another issue is when going down stairs the puppy will STOP on every stair in hopes of grabbing a pant leg, ankle, toe....anything. I am at a loss on how to break him of these issues....Any suggestions or ideas please...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

It's interesting in the way the tactics all differ even though they are all grouped into the category of what would be referred to as positive dog training. It's cool too see how so many different positive methods get good results... maybe this'll encourage people to be positive with their dogs!

And Kayla, I don't have a video with a hot dog, but here's Boo with a piece of a hamburger on her foot! LOL!

and, actually, not that anyone cares, but here's a whole slideshow of her leave it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iLni2IMlgKY

As for the post above me, I hope that some qualified trainers will be able to help you, but all I feel comfortable saying is that it seems that your puppy is doing normal puppy things and seeing what he can and can't do, just being a puppy... it's up to you to train your husband! And then move on to working with the puppy on basic behaviors... right now it could be confusing for him to be getting mixed signals on the rules of the household.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM

I find myself repeating this in every class and private training session - 'you can't teach what you're unable to practice' and being realistic is so important. Behaviours that have been reinforced, especially those as powerful as ones involving food, can be tricky. You can set a dog up and practice busting him as he moves towards the food item 'before' he's actually rewarded...but that's a bit unfair and can have unpredictable results.

If I leave a steak on the coffee table where all 5 of my dogs can reach it and I ask them to LEAVE IT, I know that it will still be there even if I leave the house for a long period. Take the same circumstance and simply leave it there without asking them to LEAVE IT....maybe not. Although I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't touch it, if they did...it'd be on me.

Like the others have said, maintenance is the key. Self reinforced behaviours become habitual mighty quickly, removing the opportunity for reinforcement will eventually extinguish the behaviour.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post

P.s- anyone fancy an online competition to see who can get their dog on video, leaving, on cue, a fully garnished hotdog sitting on a counter with you across the room and the dog offleash?
Kayla
Kayla;
I can put any kind of food (hot dog, steak etc) on a plate, ask Petie to down, put the plate and food right under his nose, say 'leave it' and leave the building............
I done this countless times for demo's etc, so far he hasn't touched it lol.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

lol.. I was just thinking about the hotdog thing, and that really isn't much of a challenge for dogs who well and truly know "leave it"

And I have left the house for thirty minutes, to stand in the driveway and yammer with the neighbors, with Ozzy in the house and a medium rare, just cooked steak, mashed potatoes, green beans and corn on the cob sitting on the table. Oz never touched, despite the fact that I know he can jump onto the table from a standstill. He was laying under my chair, looking very put upon, but still being good.

It took awhile to get there, but that was one of the most important things I ever taught him, since people like to throw chicken bones, half eaten sandwiches and the like all over the place here. Plus, I would worry about him eating something that's been poisoned or something. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm glad to know he won't eat anything in the backyard unless I say he can have it.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=dr2little;1126664]

If I leave a steak on the coffee table where all 5 of my dogs can reach it and I ask them to LEAVE IT, I know that it will still be there even if I leave the house for a long period. Take the same circumstance and simply leave it there without asking them to LEAVE IT....maybe not. Although I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't touch it, if they did...it'd be on me.

QUOTE]

lol, if I don't say the words 'leave it' and I leave, all bets are off, I couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't.
And I have a dog in the house that the time and effort has not been put into her to teaching her a 'leave it' when we are out of the room.......guaranteed she would
Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=adojrts;1126697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post

QUOTE]

lol, if I don't say the words 'leave it' and I leave, all bets are off, I couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't.
And I have a dog in the house that the time and effort has not been put into her to teaching her a 'leave it' when we are out of the room.......guaranteed she would
So true. While the LEAVE IT is a foundation behaviour for most puppy classes, it is still something that people must he realistic and honest about.

By class 2 in my puppy classes, pups can have treats tossed around them with distraction and if practiced properly, they will leave them. I never teach a LEAVE IT with a TAKE IT either, except to offer a DIFFERENT reward than what's been left. I think that this method is what predicts success with things lying on the street on walks.

With any creature with an brain seperate from our own, there are variables that dictate compliance... Unsupervised and without a command being delivered...all bets are off for most dogs.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
P.s- anyone fancy an online competition to see who can get their dog on video, leaving, on cue, a fully garnished hotdog sitting on a counter with you across the room and the dog offleash?
Kayla
I once heard of someone who had trained their dog to retrieve a hot dog - without eating any of it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I once heard of someone who had trained their dog to retrieve a hot dog - without eating any of it.
I don't believe a word of that! I demand a video!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

Dekka's (Kerri) jrt Dekka (lol) will do it.