Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
If you want to PM me your zip code, I could get you in contact with some of the greyhound rescues in your area - I have a lot of rescue contacts.
We live in Canada, so I have no zip code. That's okay though, I think I've already located a shelter to check out.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Active Pup

And with that, I think I'm done with this board. Thanks to those of you who have been helpful; it's unfortunate that there are a few too many negative, nitpicking people around here.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Big Dog

Romy, when reading your post, I realized how many poor sighthounds live under poor conditions. Sorry, you recommend to keep another unfortunate sighthound. Those are degenerated sighthounds, perhaps, out of some show strains. A good sighthound needs time and space to run a lot, better to hunt, at least stray cats and rats, if no other game is around. They catch, hares, rabbits , foxes and best of them go after coyotes.
Do you keep a retired Greyhound?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

i have to agree and add that scenthounds are not normally good pets. since they have been bred for hunting for so long traditional coon, fox & sighthound breeds rarely are good choices for multi species homes. even though raised together you never know when the switch will go on and the cat becomes a chew toy. if one must have such dogs get them from show breeders who have worked a long time to breed the working instincts out of them like show type foxhound, harriers and afghans.
plenty of sighthounds, including retired racers, won't look twice at a lure will flat kill some cats (and other stuff).
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Salty Sea Dog

since you "wont be around much" i think you shoudl be less concerend with what YOU want, dont want, like and dislike in a dog and get something your mother will want to spend the next 10-20 yrs with.
if its going to mostly be her dog she should have say and if she wants a shitzu and your only home part of the day why not?!

personally id say theres a couple of memeber of the toy group that could work, a maltese or bichon might work well they tend to be sweet, playfull (but can still get enough excersize form a good roomp round a yard/house when the weathers too bad for walks) keep em trimmed for easy grooming, there bred to be companions, and often, once past the house training, there actually easy to please and quick to train.

just because they look small and froo froo, does not mean there any less dog.
But a smaller dog, so long as trained in the basics properly and socilized well would fit all your requirements!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, looks like he's gone. I was going to say that the Shih-Tzus in my obedience class COMPLETELY turned me around on the breed. They aren't my sort of dog, but well brought up ones are nice little dogs.

I'm not sure what the big deal was with the mild profanity, but I think I'll just stay out of it.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
Romy, when reading your post, I realized how many poor sighthounds live under poor conditions. Sorry, you recommend to keep another unfortunate sighthound. Those are degenerated sighthounds, perhaps, out of some show strains. A good sighthound needs time and space to run a lot, better to hunt, at least stray cats and rats, if no other game is around. They catch, hares, rabbits , foxes and best of them go after coyotes.
Do you keep a retired Greyhound?
I know many EXCELLENT dog owners, who are beyond knowledgable and would do anything to make their dogs happy, and apparently their "poor" sighthounds are living under "poor" conditions. Their dogs are given the freedom to run in safe, open spaces daily, and regularly taken to lure coursing events to do what they're bred to do safely. But, in a couple of hours at the dog park, they might race around for 15 minutes, then just hang out.

I find it a little bit disturbing that you would allow your dog to hunt stray cats. D: More than a little bit, actually.

To the OP... I'm sorry that you're leaving the forum all because of one thread. I don't think anyone was rude to you, but as you said, diff'rent strokes. I hope you find the perfect pet for your family.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

ihartgonzo
ufymich was referring to the OP who stated the dog would have a "big backyard" and some occasional walks. that's fine if they do like you said and ensure the dog gets some good running. but if that is all they are going to get that's not good for a sighthound. other than whippets & italians, no sighthound can even stretch it out in a BY 100X100 or even twice that. it would be like being a prisoner, 8X8 cell and in manacles EVERY time you leave the walls. a sighthound w/ true sighthound temperament would have issues NEVER getting to stretch it out. further ufymich is clearly from a country that used to be part of the soviet union and his/her english isn't always perfect and the ideas expressed aren't always clear.
about the stray cat thing, free roaming cats (especially those well fed & cared for) are the second largest threat to threatened & endangered small birds. only habitat loss is a greater concern (thank you rural developers and greenies w/ your ignorant regulation against timber harvest & controlled burns). every cat his/her dogs take saves the lives of thousands of small birds over what would have been the lifetime of the cat. additionally every free roaming cat (not just stray/feral) is subject to being preyed upon by hawks, owls, free roaming dogs, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, raccoons and even large snakes ( think 5' + diamondback here). his/her dogs (and mine) are just one more on the list. the difference is that at least if the cat has a collar or obviously rescently had a collar, i can make the effort to prevent my dog catching it. if it's really tame i'll even take it to the pound (which is miserable for me since i am very allergic). a truly feral cat is also a great test before turning your dog out on something that fights a lot harder like raccoon or a large red fox and eventually coyote & an aggressive whitetail buck in the rut. at one time before & during WWII feral cats were such a pestilence a bounty was placed on them (the furs were also used for winter clothing and to line jackets for high altitude flying). unfortunately for millions of small birds that's no longer politically correct.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

Bassett Hounds are VERY hard to house train!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
about the stray cat thing, free roaming cats (especially those well fed & cared for) are the second largest threat to threatened & endangered small birds. only habitat loss is a greater concern (thank you rural developers and greenies w/ your ignorant regulation against timber harvest & controlled burns). every cat his/her dogs take saves the lives of thousands of small birds over what would have been the lifetime of the cat.
Within urban/suburban environments, this is the largest threat to native songbirds:

In rural areas the biggest threats are a) development, b) non-native species, and c) leaving large amounts of edge on clearcuts which allow raccoons, cowbirds, etc, to get into formerly inaccessible habitat and eat/replace eggs.