Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Default Dear Breeders,

When someone calls you about a puppy please EDUCATE. If they come across as raw novices please take the time with them. Dont let the first question you ask the potential buyer be Do you have any idea how much a puppy of ours costs? The reason I say this is because I contacted the first ethical breeder I had ever talked to. Before I got Emma. They turned me off with that and I went to a pet store and almost bred her at 1yr old. I have met good breeders since. But please dont turn a novice away

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I agree... educate educate EDUCATE.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I have since met NICE and ethical Beagle breeders. And infact met the snob breeder at a show. She was so nice seeing me showing dogs. I didnt tell her I had called. Because of that breeder I bought and almost bred a pet store puppy. Dont get me wrong Emma is loved and spayed but this place educated me on why she needed to be spayed

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
CASSA

I always educate but I also cant sell a CASD to most novices in dogs.
Example first dogs I have only picked 2 out of hundreds that was willing to make commitments to learn.

I always ask them to call me vs long emails cause I can work on the farm vs stay on the net all day.
And sometimes I learn from the callers even novices I pick their minds about what they have seen in my breed and others and ask their opinions.

Cause Ive done my bones at doing 20 shows a year and love to here the news from different circuits..
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I agree whole heartedly with educate, but that is a 2 way street.

Puppy buyers, when you call a breeder, be ready to ask educated and appropriate questions.

Research your chosen breed. Read the standard. Be familiar with the codes of ethics of the National clubs, and the health testing that is appropriate for your breed.

Be honest with what you are looking for. (Pet, Show, Breeding)

Do not immediately toss out the co-owning option ESPECIALLY if you are looking for a bitch.

Educating yourself BEFORE you contact breeders will help you immensely in finding the breeder that you can work with.

and Jenn, any breeder that would ask you that question would get a quick thank you, and a hang up from me. That was very rude. It should not be assumed that many or most responsible caring breeders would respond in that manner.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I have since met NICE and ethical Beagle breeders. And infact met the snob breeder at a show. She was so nice seeing me showing dogs. I didnt tell her I had called. Because of that breeder I bought and almost bred a pet store puppy. Dont get me wrong Emma is loved and spayed but this place educated me on why she needed to be spayed

With all due respect, it is not right to blame others for decisions that you have made or might have made.

It is so easy to educate yourself about dogs these days with the internet and all the immediately available information.

IMO that person would not have been to blame had YOU chosen to make bad breeding decisions. I am so glad you found Chaz to help you!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Truf Red. I think I worded it bad. I admit. I knew NOTHING about how to contact a breeder or even what a breed club was. That was the first breeder I contacted and they made me nervous about contacting others. Wich is why I went to a pet store. I had allready read up on the breed. I am 98% sure our converstation was Hi I am looking for a beagle puppy. Why do you want a beagle? I listed my reasons. Wich were valid. Then I got the rude question. Oh well I learned from it and Ems has a good home

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Big Dog

I always try to talk to people and I'll reference them to other breeders in a heartbeat. Some seem irritated that I am so chatty. They send a one line email that goes 'How much do they cost?" I know price is a factor but really...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyHound View Post
They send a one line email that goes 'How much do they cost?" I know price is a factor but really...
I did start and end one conversation with a breeder with asking what his puppies cost. But...I know the breed and he is a big name in the breed and his dogs are well known. I had other breeders I was looking at as well, and when his price was out of my price range for what I could spend on a puppy, I ended the conversation. I wasn't going to waste his time or mine with other questions when I know I can't afford to buy from him.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
woof!

When the last breeders I talked told me to "If you don't make me a deposit to my bank account and come quick for the puppy, I'm goin to sell him to the first person it enters here"

Then, I just said, "ok I will see" and I hangend up the phone is the greates red flag I found in the breeders I where talking in the time I was looking for a pup.

A month later he sent me an e-mail with pics of the same puppy, looks like he didn't found any more "custumers" (like he see its not owners) from the puppy

it was obvious he only wanted money