Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
CASSA

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm sorry about that - I thought it was you who said you advertised once.

I think, for the most part, the two of us agree on this topic wholeheartedly - we just have different ways of expressing it. I'll stop derailing your thread now.
No problem if I did take out a add you are rigth it would NOT make me a bad breeder. So Im not worried if anyone thinks I did or didnt.

I believe the glass if half empty some believe it is half full.
We need both people in the world to be full.

I have became jaded working in shelters when they GASSED the dogs in piles of crap. Has made me very non forgiving and Im not sorry for that it makes me a better breeder. Knowing what can and will happen if breeders are not carefull..

I have even tried when asked to mentor new breeders and guess what when they found out you can sell via the net or adds without ever proving the dogs or rescueing them or caring why bother being ethical? If you can make more money being unethical?

So im sorry if I come off a bit rough around the edges.:0
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

To each their own .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I dont see a problem with advertising. With dobes you can have 10 to 13 puppies. What if you only have 7 homes? As long as you screen the buyers as much as those who find you other ways there is no problem

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

IMO a breeding should be planned wellll in advance. The breeding pair should be of outstanding dogs that should have no problem having a waiting list.

I know tons of breeders that have waiting lists that far exceed the amount they will be able to produce for years.

All depends on what you want.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's crew View Post
IMO a breeding should be planned wellll in advance. The breeding pair should be of outstanding dogs that should have no problem having a waiting list.

I know tons of breeders that have waiting lists that far exceed the amount they will be able to produce for years.

All depends on what you want.
That is true. But what if you get a litter where what people want is not what you get?

Lets say I breed Dekka to a high drive working bred terrier, I hope for hunting/dog sport prospects. What if most of my buyers are looking for under 12 inch male dogs (as they already have girls) and I get a litter of almost all boys, or they look to be too big.

I don't breed for the 'pet' market. There are lots of great JRTs in the rescue that would make great pets. Dog sport people are often looking for VERY specific things in a dog... more than health and conformation and a decent termperament.

I bought 2 dogs from a breeder (who is now a friend) her ad in a dogsport magazine made me think I should see if she had what I wanted.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
F150 and a .30-06

^^ AMEN. What if I have homes for 8 black girls but end up with a couple red boys? Yes I am willing to keep them untill I find suitable homes but I would place advertisments

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
CASSA

Well when someone breeds for work herding sport what ever . Their are special magazines that specialize in that work.

Thier are stock journals for LGD as well and I did take out adds in them when I was a newbie. I want to keep the dogs working so I prefer work mags vs Dog World for show people.

THat was not the issue classified adds in local newspaper who market unproven dogs as PETS is.

Putting a add out for working dog from working parents simply does not equal.
AKC Reg Terriers , Pets for sale ,
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet molosser View Post
Think about the novice breeders witout mentors reading this in years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Actually, I'm in the camp of "give the novices the INFORMATION THEY NEED to make intelligent decisions."
I am thinking about the novices. I agree, they need all the information possible to make good choices.

To simply tell them "don't buy from a newspaper ad" and "get a referral from a breed club" and "good breeders don't advertise and have a waiting list" are not helpful.

Tell them what to look for, what questions to ask, when to walk away. If I had known that word of mouth and waiting lists and referrals weren't enough to qualify a breeder as good, I wouldn't have bought Morgan. Now, I do love her to death, but I would have preferred to buy a healthy puppy. I had to learn from my mistake.

Quote:
Cause good breeders simply do NOT need any help.
Actually, good breeders need all the help they can get in getting the word out to buyers. If that means they advertise where the public will see the ad, then I am all for it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Putting a add out for working dog from working parents simply does not equal.
AKC Reg Terriers , Pets for sale ,
Actually, it does in so far as all the same questions and screening needs to be done by the buyer. Just because the ad is in a specialty publication and claims working parents doesn't mean it's a quality breeding.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Too true Corgi !!!! I used to call ads for Goldens who were charging more than I was . Age of dam ? 1 1/2 .... OFA rating ? Hm what's that ? Cerf ? Hmmm what's that . Reason for breedin ? ....well , my other Golden got her .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/