Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
CASSA

Angry

Warning about media attention - it will backfire any breeder that is breeding aggressive breeds or dogs that gets any form of attention can and will make sales to the lowest of the dog world. Who want aggressive dogs and whom believe all dogs should act insane in public.

Any attention is better than none for bad breeders.

And it will only add fuel to the ever growing fire of BSL.
BEcause the morans writing them are NOT dog people and will use it to close down all breeders.

1. Make a complaint to the reg? AKC UKC?
2. Make a complaint to her local ASPCA.
3. If you she breeding 25 + dogs a year she needs a lic in many states.
EX NY 25 or more in one year you need a Pet Dealer lic and subject to inspection.
4. Print out the laws on dog bites and liability especially CA.
Ever since the Whipple case breeders owners and yes even rescues can and will be held responsible for dogs that bite _____ when the aggressive nature is known.
This can inlude jail time.

5. Send a certified letter from a lawyer if u can afford it stating we have evidence of such and such amount of dogs coming from your lines with aggressive tendancies, and
"when not if one of these dogs doges serious damage to a "buyer" you did not inform or warn about their nature ., we will testify in court that you knew and withheld information that was vital tot he training and care of this dog. This will leave you open to civil and
state action.

Please note the above paragraph in essense works. I got contacted by a backyard breeder who got a pair of CASD from a auction . OF course had a litter no one wanted, and when buyers came the male was trying to EAT them.

I called him and said when not if these pups dog damage I will testify that I warned you that some lines of CASD are not suitable for family life, and that they need massive socialization form BIRTH to 2 years to make them adaptable to US family life.

He stopped breeding after the 2nd litter he got stuck with. The 1st litter went to the Hunt corp and was sold at Pet Stores in MAss. Where many got sick and later died.

2nd Litter rescue took and 2 of them attacked the rescue person and were put down.

And he says to all " I wanted one of his pups and i dont like him because he turned me down" yep I want a pup from unproven parents so I can ignore my 4 generations of tested stable dogs.. " Either way my threat worked and I would travel any where in the country to testify to save my breed"

Sorry for the rant hit kinda home for me.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I think you are right that most people reading this forum would know enough to stay away from newspaper ads!
Tyr came from an ad in the local newspaper. He is my best - healthiest and most stable temperament - dog. He is everything a malinois should be.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Tyr came from an ad in the local newspaper. He is my best - healthiest and most stable temperament - dog. He is everything a malinois should be.
Good for you, and definitely good for Tyr!

However, re: buying from a newspaper ad, I would say you got lucky, and in general do not recommend that people search for a responsible breeder in the newpaper ads.

JMO as always.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

However, re: buying from a newspaper ad, I would say you got lucky, and in general do not recommend that people search for a responsible breeder in the newpaper ads.

JMO as always.

I agree and I've been there before. Wouldn't go that route again.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

It's hard, really hard, which is why they'll always be a problem. I really believe in the education part. Educate the buyers, but you HAVE to educate before they're even thinking of buying and hope some of it sticks. Even after that, good luck.

I just had another friend, and trust me, they've heard me before about bad breeders. They even knew the story of another mutual friend that bought a puppy from an questionable breeder turned out to be broker and has a few grand into a genetically diseased dog.

Anyway, his wife already put down a deposit to a rat of a breeder. There are so many red flags, and of course bringing them up now only offends her.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

JMO as always.

Luck really had nothing to do with it. I called him, got a lot of info over the phone, went out there, met him, met the mom, talked with him for a long time, met the pups, saw where the pups were kept, we took the pups outside and I watched them and I played with them, and I gave him a small deposit. I went home and I researched the bloodlines and I looked up the sire (he didn't own the sire). I then - a few days later - called him to set up a time when I would pick up the pup.

Point is that just because someone advertises in the newspaper doesn't make them a bad breeder. I have nothing against buying or selling pups through ads in newspapers. Buyers need to do their homework regardless of where they buy a pup.

Morgan came from a well known breeder and competitor who didn't advertise in the paper. Morgan's breeder was recommended by my trainer and by my handler. I trusted both of them and I took their word that she was reliable. I didn't do my homework and I ended up with a dog who has a list of health problems, not to mention I didn't get her papers until she was a year old.

So it really isn't an issue of where or how the pups are advertised. It's an issue of researching the breeder, finding out as much as you can about the ancestry, the conditions the pup is raised in, references, etc.

Quote:
It's hard, really hard, which is why they'll always be a problem. I really believe in the education part. Educate the buyers, but you HAVE to educate before they're even thinking of buying and hope some of it sticks. Even after that, good luck.
^I agree!^

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Scuse me.

You are right.

I am wrong.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Generally directed...on the subject of ads:

I have advertised in the newspaper and gotten wonderful homes out of it.

It's not about the ad....it's about what happens after contact is made between the two parties. I have ads in sometimes just to give information.

Geez "newspapers", or puppyfind.com, are only bad BECAUSE good breeders don't think they "should" or are worried about how their peers might judge them.

Get over it...you cannot educate those most in need of education from your Ivory Tower. You have to be willing to "associate" with JQP in order to educate...JQP.

People don't always want to do the wrong thing...you can make a small difference. Even if that difference is directing them to RESCUE when you don't personally have something for them.

Two of the current owners of the BIS WKC hound have ads on one of "those" sites...you know why? So people can FIND them...and ask them questions and talk with someone reputable and see the differences.
/rant

Personally IF they have actual factual information and pedigrees on the dogs...and a document trail then the rescues should pool their resources and place an ad right in that same paper stating...

"SOMEONE who advertises here has had over 50 of their puppies end up in rescue for aggression...call us and do your homework before buying!"

No names mentioned in the paper...so no libel worries. If someone calls they get FACTS which can be documented and backed up on paper....no slander.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
CASSA

Corgi pet owners need to stop using exceptions to the rule as proof thier dog is good or great.

Most breeders who advertise in papers BRED a litter without getting buyers BEFORE they bred. That alone make them a backyard breeder.

If pet owners stopped taking everything so personal because they tie their ego and love of their dog from millers adds rescue into their own acceptance as humans-Education would start.

Most breeders who advertise in the paper result in rescue , and horrors.

And yes you were lucky that a breeder who may not fit the mold of bad breeders advertised in your paper.

I can cut and past hundreds of thousands of bad cases, I personally had dealed with hundreds in rescue from adds before the net existed.

Here are legit excuses for adds:
A. Pet owner had accidental litter spays bitch but needs homes for pups.
B Good breeder wants to find LOCAL homes and is willing to cut deals for dogs they wish to see develop.
C. Good people finding rescues or pregnant dogs.
D. Good breeder has accidental litter and needs to find homes ASAP.
E. Dog laws change how many dogs you can have u are a good breeder and need to find good homes.

All above requiring the buyer to submit a application process.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Couch Pototoe City

WHOA.. The breed club needs to be notified. They will know how to proceed.. (ie which agencies to contact etc..)