Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Default Bad Breeders - What can you do?

I'm not really sure there IS an answer to this, but it's something that has come up in the past couple days with a friend, and I figured it was worth asking.

This friend acquired a dog about seven months ago. He was, at the time, 10 months old. Turned in to rescue because, after three months, he started biting (no punctures) the owner. Friend was looking for a potential sports dog for herself, and decided to try him. The dog's aggression has gotten worse. In doing some research and trying to make a decision about what to do with him, she discovered that over FIFTY dogs from the breeder have been turned in to breed rescue, and every single one had to be euthanized for aggression. One dog put a child in ICU.

And to make it harder, as she is trying to make a decision about the dog, the breeder once again has puppies for sale in the paper.

How in the world do you go about changing something like this? Can you? I feel awful for the dogs, and for the people who get attached to them just to have to deal with the ultimate problems.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Wow, what a difficult situation. Fifty dogs??? Ugh.

I don't know what can be done, I hope someone here does, I'll be interested to read some suggestions. The only thing I can think of is to shut down the breeder based on unsanitary/unhealthy conditions where the dogs are being kept, or possibly animal abuse depending on where she keeps the parents. I think there's a good chance you could get her on something like that, because apparently she doesn't care where the puppies go, so maybe she doesn't care where they come from either, you know?

My other thought would be, is the dog registered? Maybe you could go through the breed club and get something done that way, I don't know.

Keep us posted if anything happens with this breeder!

What breed is the dog? If anyone's thinking about getting this breed from your area, maybe they should PM you and ask who the breeder is so they will know to stay away! (Course, I'm sure no one reading this forum would buy a puppy from an ad in the paper, anyway, right?)
Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is to shut down the breeder based on unsanitary/unhealthy conditions where the dogs are being kept, or possibly animal abuse depending on where she keeps the parents.
I'm guessing if puppy mills can't be shut down, a smaller breeder would be equally tough. I don't know the conditions they are kept in at all; the friend is trying to figure out for herself if she wants to see the facility (pretending to be interested in the new puppies) or not.

Quote:
My other thought would be, is the dog registered?
Hmm, not sure. I'll have to ask.

Quote:
What breed is the dog? If anyone's thinking about getting this breed from your area, maybe they should PM you and ask who the breeder is so they will know to stay away!
I hesitate to get too specific here. It is a herding breed. I think you are right that most people reading this forum would know enough to stay away from newspaper ads!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
CASSA

The only thing that makes a difference is education . Educate buyers NOT to buy from these bad breeders. Support good breeders and maybe one day rigth the wrongs by becoming a good breeder.

I have put many millers and out many back yard breeders.
This in turn has me hated , stalked and threatened by their followers and themselves.

When you CLOSE a miller u are taking MONEY their ability to work - as if you took money from their pocket.

You need a thick skin and ability to withstand huge pressure put on you.

I have a miller convicted that openly admits to breeding even thou suspended by AKC and UKC...

So their is NOT real way to stop a bad breeder they just recreat a new name a new breed and move out of state.

If you do go after bad breeders - make sure you HIDE your home address and tel #.

Best of luck and power to the new generation of good breeders.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Twin 2.0

Point AC in their direction, with your research pointing out the deliberate breeding of aggressive dogs in their hand.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Do you think the media would be interested in the story, that is a lot of dogs, so maybe it's big enough for the media to take notice, at least it will keep people away from that breeder.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Do you think the media would be interested in the story, that is a lot of dogs, so maybe it's big enough for the media to take notice, at least it will keep people away from that breeder.
I would stay away from that route. All dogs need is more publicity for the AR's. It just makes the dogs look bad IMO. News reporters never tell the correct story anyway, they tell what will make them money.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

It sure has to be looked into !!!! There must be a lot of in breeding .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Crazy Dog!

Just because someone is breeding dogs with aggressive tendencies doesn't mean they are inbreeding. Most BYB's don't inbreed because they have a fear of it. They think they will end up with 'retarded' or 'deformed' puppies if they inbreed. It's most likely just someone who is out for the almighty dollar and doesn't care what kind of puppies they crank out.

Inbreeding does not equal aggression.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the ideas. At this point, I'm really leaving it up to my friend as to what she is comfortable with. I think once the emotions settle a bit, she will be able to decide more clearly what sort of action might bring a bit of closure for her.

Apparently there is someone involved with the breed rescue who is researching the lines bred there or something like that; my friend has contacted them just to see what they know.