Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Felurian

Fran, I had no idea, as I'm sure many didn't, that English wasn't your native language! One of the things that we've all got to be aware of on a forum like this is linguistic blunders. Sometimes things just don't come across in the tone in which they are meant.

As far as socializing time goes, I've always heard about the 16 weeks window, but as Charley is paranoid about the pups going off the farm until they are several months old (he thinks, for some reason, that I might allow them to be stolen or lost???), I don't do that. They're actually quite well socialized though, especially for a breed that makes Dobermans look like social butterflies, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
yuckaduck

At 13 weeks Yukon was fully vaccinated and that was when he started going everywhere with us. Before that he stayed at home or went for walks but no other dog contact. He was vaccinated early because there was confusing to his birth date, but the vet said no problem he's old enough. He is on the once a month heartguard as well and is dewormed every three months as instructed by the vet. He will require a booster at age 1 year and then go on every three year rotation except for the rabies he needs yearly as it is a hugh problem here. Heart worm blood test will be needed next year as well and every two years. He sure likes his raw food and is looking prettty good.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

This subject has come up before on this forum and while I agree with both sides, I do feel some take it a bit too seriously. I mean, I allow my children to walk on the floors, go to daycare without having their full vaccinacions (they don't receive their full shots until around 2 yrs old) Should I keep holding her until then? Some people even allow their children to be exposed to chickenpox just to get their immune system to fight against it. And what about flu shots? I just think some people need to ease up a bit and every battle with their own beliefs isn't a fight with everyone else. hope that made sense. lol
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
yuckaduck

Makes perfect sense and is so true. I'm following my vets advice with the dog and my doctors advice with the kids.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

That's not the same thing at all... If there was even a small risk your kid would be exposed to a virus that could kill him in a few days, somehow I don't think you would leave him in daycare

Sorry but I don't see how you can compare both at all...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
That's not the same thing at all... If there was even a small risk your kid would be exposed to a virus that could kill him in a few days, somehow I don't think you would leave him in daycare

Have to agree, those two are not comparable.

I also would like to say that as an owner you have to make the best decision you can. Many people out there are not informed and that's all it is, just ignorance not stupidity. Stupidity is when you know better and still take the risk etc. You have to weigh the risks vs. the benefits in this type of situation. Like Doberluv said, an undersocialized dog is no good to anyone. There is a brief period of time when socialization can really set in and it's usually before 11 weeks. They say you need your pup to meet 100 new people by the time it's (can't remember the age , but know it's young)!! I agree that is the pup is small enought to hold in public places then that may be the best answer. We took Norman to Home Depot and pushed him around in the cart. He got tons of positive attention and met a lot of new people and heard a lot of new noises etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27

Excuse me!!! And go ahead and roll your eyes Of course I wouldn't. However, they can not receive their full vaccinations until the age of two! Just as it is for other children. Children are exposed to viruses everyday in school with ALL THE OTHER KIDS. GEEESH do you have children? My point was, there is some point to the madness of getting on someone's case about stuff. Get off you high horse please. I tried to be nice about my OPINION. No need to jump on me with the rolled eyes.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

Yes, but none of those viruses are going to get your children killed in a week or two, like parvo would. I respect your opinion, but you need to make comparaisons that make sense. I don't think that if your kids could catch AIDS by crawling on the floor you would let them do it. That's the same thing.

And no, I don't have kids, been trying for two years, thank you for keeping those kinds of comments for yourself...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Yes, but none of those viruses are going to get your children killed in a week or two, like parvo would. I respect your opinion, but you need to make comparaisons that make sense. I don't think that if your kids could catch AIDS by crawling on the floor you would let them do it. That's the same thing.
I agree with Fran.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
yuckaduck

Just to be clear because for some reason this post can to my email and not the others, I'm not rolling my eyes to anyone at all. What is right for me may not be right for you. I will follow the advice of those I pay to know what I do not and here kids are fully vaccinated at 18 months however some countries don't fully vaccinate children until 3 years old and some don't vaccinate at all. So it is an age long argument where everyone has an opinion and everyone's opinion is right, just not right all the time. Who's right who's wrong, who cares here we are sharing information and trying to learn from each other. Not everyone has the perfect thing that works for you that's why I read everyone's post and chose to use the information that seems to fit best and if that doesn't work then I chose something else to try but never ever would I say someone is wrong for there opinion. How can you be wrong with your opinion, it is yours? Thank you very much for all replies I listen to each one and feel no one is dumb and no one deserves to have rolled eyes sent to them.