Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Top Dog

Default One of the things that makes me mad

Last week end I went to petsmart to buy some stuff for the dogs. I met three adorable puppies... One was 9 weeks, the other 7 weeks, the other 8 weeks. The 8 weeks puppy was sooo small, and the owner was holding it (maltese I think?). The poor thing was shaking, but it's good for him to see new things!

But the other two. Oh, they were adorable, a boxer and a lab. But they were on leash on the floor. I'll pass that the lab owners were buying eukaniba food, but how can they leave a non vaccinated puppy on the floor in a petstore?

That made me really mad. Of course I didn't say anything, but do they even realize the risks they are running for their dog??? Didn't their vet tell them it's not safe for a dog to be in contact with other dogs until they got their full set of shots? Even on the forums I read, I keep seeing people who say they are taking their 9 weeks old puppy everywhere, are people that misinformed or irresponsible? Or am I just paranoid not to leave Tips on leash outside until he got all his shots in 3 weeks?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I think people just don't know. I doubt most of them are intentionaly putting their puppies in danger, they probably just don't know/understand the risks involved.
And your not being paranoid in my opinion!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Stare at my avatar....

I take Belly with me to Petco and Petsmart but I keep her in alittle Kangaroo Pack. Is that ok? She'll get her last shots August 16.

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 07-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
That made me really mad. Of course I didn't say anything, but do they even realize the risks they are running for their dog??? Didn't their vet tell them it's not safe for a dog to be in contact with other dogs until they got their full set of shots? Even on the forums I read, I keep seeing people who say they are taking their 9 weeks old puppy everywhere, are people that misinformed or irresponsible? Or am I just paranoid not to leave Tips on leash outside until he got all his shots in 3 weeks?

I think you are paranoid. Isn't it true that puppies can get a lot of the necessary anti-bodies from their mom as long as they are nursing?

Remember, not everybody is a "dog expert" like you seem to be. I know you mean well Fran but you come across sounding very arrogant a lot of the time. I have only been on this forum for a short time, but almost all of your posts make me cringe when I read them. Until now I just bit my tounge because I am fairly sure you mean well.

Even if you don't care how people see you, it hurts your desire to share your obviously good knowledge of dogs and dog issues.

One guy's $.02 (Canadian) so take it for what it is worth.
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31
I think you are paranoid. Isn't it true that puppies can get a lot of the necessary anti-bodies from their mom as long as they are nursing?

Remember, not everybody is a "dog expert" like you seem to be. I know you mean well Fran but you come across sounding very arrogant a lot of the time. I have only been on this forum for a short time, but almost all of your posts make me cringe when I read them. Until now I just bit my tounge because I am fairly sure you mean well.

Even if you don't care how people see you, it hurts your desire to share your obviously good knowledge of dogs and dog issues.

One guy's $.02 (Canadian) so take it for what it is worth.

Firstly I think It's obvious that they weren't still nursing and someone irresponsible sold the puppies far too early!! It's true that anti bodies are passed over in the milk, but these aren't enought to prevent your pup from getting Parvo etc!!

I would be concerned that an 8 week old pup was on the floor of a Pet shop!! Disease can be spread so easily, especially when you have such a large amount of traffic in pet stores! God only knows how many sick dogs/sick dog owners pass through in a week!!
In fact I would have gone over and explained to the owners why it wasn't good to leave their pups on the floor!

I don't find Fran at all arrogant, I think Fran is just concerned! I think however that the best way of moving forward is to share the knowledge you have with other people! Someone else with an 8 week old pup who may be taking their pup to the pet store blissfully unaware of the dangers, may read this thread and learn something!!

Getting personal doesn't help anyone!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 07-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

although that puppy shouldn't have been in a pet store without all it's vaccs sometimes you can't help but take your puppy out in the open without all the shots. we had to take teddy outside all the time when he was a puppy without his shots. he coudln't just go whereever he wanted to in the house.

Fran if it makes you so angry why didn't you say anything. You seem to feel pretty passionately about the issue but just let it walk right by you without a word. I think you are being a little harsh on other people. LIke puckstop said not everyone is an expert and don't know EVERYTHING there is to consider. Some people just don't know. I don't think you are in a position to judge them because you don't know them. If you were that concerned you should have shared your knowledge with them. if they get pissed off oh well at least you tried. but I don't think its right to just assume they are irresponsible or stupid. They did have THREE puppies all at once so they couldn't be that smart about it. Next time help someone out. Talk to them about their new puppies and share your experiences and concerns. but be n ice about it, don't accuse them. not everyone is born a dog genius

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't take my 9 week old to a petstore, where there might be a concentration of dogs, but it is equally, if not more important to me to get my very young puppies socialized, risks of parvo, included. What good is an unsocialized dog? So, I think moderation and reasonable caution are needed but not to the point of not getting a puppy out to see the world. And that needs to be quite well saturated by the time the pup is 16 weeks old and continued.

Mocking, sarcasm and personal attacks on members here for their opinion is not in line with the way this forum is run. Everyone is entited to their opinion and entitled to word it any way they choose as long as there are no insults and no flaming or jabs made in a personal way.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:57 AM
no touchy

I once saw a young yellow lab puppy being held by someone at PetSmart. First I heard them say it was six months, then six weeks - it was definitely six weeks, it was so tiny, and shivering like crazy.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

It totally agree Doberluv that they need to be socialized too, and the maltese was in the owner's arms, which is much safer than on the floor. The other two were small enough to be held, but were on the floor. I took Tips out to Petsmart as well a couple times, but I held him the whole time. I agree that the socializing problem is a big one, and I have the problem as well with Tips But there is still time once a dog has got his third shot to spend lots of time socializing them safely before their 16 weeks in my opinion... as long as people don't wait too long.

Sparks, I disagree, I would never take my puppy out without his shots, except in my yard, and to the vet (where he met people and other dogs, too), or at least he would stay in my arms. I am lucky, because some of the other puppies that were there the day I picked Tips up got sick, because they got in contact with sick dogs without having their shots. Tips didn't get sick, and I'm not going to risk it now. There are way too many irresponsible owners out there.

I didn't say anything because I don't want to sound arrogant - that, and the fact that English isn't my mother tongue still embarasses me sometimes with some people who don't understand me, and the fact that I actually applied to that store to work and didn't want to start arguing with customers (they never called back as they said they woul thoughd, but I can't say I'm surprised as it's plain impossible to find a job when you're not American and you only have a French college degree without experience and references - but I guess it's a good thing I didn't get the job). Also, I think that if people want to learn, they will look for information themselves. The worst way of getting your point across is to start talking to someone out of the blue and try to tell them what they are doing wrong. Oh and the puppies were not together, they each had different owners.

Puckstop, I guess I'm sorry you find me arrogant that I'm the first one to ask for help when I have a problem with one of my boys. I'm a new owner, I'm still learning. Everything I know, I've learned it from forums, and put it in practice as much as I could. I'm not a perfect dog owner, but I do my best. People come for advice, I give some. Often they don't like what they're hearing, but I'm doing the best advice I can. Yes, sometimes I'm a bit critical on some people, because I was once one of those irresponsible dog owners (although I mostly blame my ex), and it's the dogs that suffer from it. So if it means having to be harsh to make people react... so be it. If they just rethink their situation, I will have done my job. If you don't say anything, you will just have more people taking their 8 weeks pups to the petstore...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't encourage me..

Ne te fache pas Fran il n'en vaut pas la peine.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch