Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

Question question

hm. well we were thinking of breeding Tigre when hes old enough but before we do that we want to know what to look for in him so we can know he will be breeding material what can we look for?. and i never seen any brindle studs before..have any of u? anyone know any websites with brindle pit bulls as studs?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:28 AM
owned by our dogs

I have seen soom sites but there not very nice sites , the one i looked at ,they where braging about breeding game dogs ,so i would not get any advice from such breeders ..
I might be wrong but does the fact that he is brindle matter...I know that in staffords when they breed they just dont go on the markings or colour,they go on loads of things like /teeth /head size /body size /body shape/, and how good there peidigree is ...etc...And most good breeders will only breed to improve ther breed.. If i where you i would get a good book 1st b4 you start to do anything and chat to some really good breeders who know what they are doing ..

Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Are you dead yet?

Tigre is a "newspaper puppy", apparently you just bought him on a whim after seeing an ad in the paper. Do you know ANYTHING about his parents? His pedigree? Do you even know enough about the Pit Bull breed to be able to breed towards its improvement?
What is so great about Tigre that will make people with quality bitches want to breed to him? There are hundreds of wonderful champions out there, with excellent temperaments, health and lovely lineage to boot, that are available at stud. What would make someone use Tigre, over one of those dogs?

I just don't see how you can consider doing something like this.. Especially when he is still just a BABY! For gee's sake, enjoy your puppy and leave breeding to the experts!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:39 AM
owned by our dogs

I WILL TRY AGAIN

Old 07-22-2005, 03:42 AM
owned by our dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
Do you know ANYTHING about his parents? His pedigree? Do you even know enough about the Pit Bull breed to be able to breed towards its improvement?
What is so great about Tigre that will make people with quality bitches want to breed to him? There are hundreds of wonderful champions out there, with excellent temperaments, health and lovely lineage to boot, that are available at stud. What would make someone use Tigre, over one of those dogs?

I just don't see how you can consider doing something like this.. Especially when he is still just a BABY! For gee's sake, enjoy your puppy and leave breeding to the experts!
Very well said (you wrote what i could not get out of my head)

Old 07-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Top Dog

Well you could do all the expensive testing for eyes, hips etc, but it's just a waste of money when the dog isn't from champion pedigree, because it's 90% sure that the dog will have at least a few problems and won't be breeding quality. So I really wouldn't even consider breeding a dog unless you bought him from a respectable breeder that had the parents fully tested.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
stirder

get tigre and rocky neutered. wether its intentional or not, it would be a huge mistake to breed either of them. just be happy having them both be excellent family pets.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Felurian

Brindle Pits aren't uncommon. Just enjoy Tigre and concentrate on what a good companion he is. If you want to consider breeding sometime down the road, do your homework. Read, talk to GOOD, REPUTABLE breeders, and acquire a well bred dog and prepare to spend a lot of money on testing.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

When I first got my female Pit Neva I knew nothing about the responsibility of dog breeding and I decided to breed her. She is a brindle with white pit and we bred her to a fawn male that our friend owned. Neva is ADBA registered but the male wasn't so no papers for our puppies. I also did not do any health testing or anything else that you should and it was pretty much a disaster. Placing the puppies was really hard because I did know that a lot of people interested in this breed are not having good intentions on what they will do with the puppies. I spent several days researching and creating a legal document that explained that if the dog was not appropriatley cared for that I could remove the pup from the home. It was extremely detailed about everything from cropping ears to spaying and neutering. These pups were my mistake and my responsibility. They were fun and cute but SOOOO MESSY and extremely time consuming. I did end up removing one pup because the owner was jogging him hard at a young age and I knew that would be bad to the pups health. Another of these pups was diagnosied with lymphoma, cancer of the lymphatic system. Her owners have spent thousands of dollars to give her a good quality of life for the short time she has remaining. This could be hereditary I am not sure because I don't know anything about the dad, if he is even still alive.
I would highly suggest that if you want puppies so bad you volunteer at a rescue organization and when they have a mama with a litter that needs to be fostered you take them and foster them. This will give you a great idea on how it is not all fun in games to breed and how unwanted puppies end up in rescue organizations all the time. There are too many good dogs dying already, after learning my lesson I will never add to that problem again and I will leave the breeding to the pro's. Just my two cents.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Felurian

Adrienne, thank you for that first-hand experience. I know it was hard for you, and difficult to share. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy the post and sticky it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian