Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Bored Now.

Twice.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeah, it does seem to vary. They're currently getting kibble twice a day and bug me about mealtimes.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
just call me Nilly

I feed twice a day even if we're doing kibble for some reason. It's how the routine works

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
BusterLove

Sophie and Mac get dry in the morning, they all get dinner at night, usually raw.
The boys maintain their weight fine, Harry coudl still loose a little. But the girls can easily be underweight if we don't keep the food intot hem

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
At 53 pounds- and normal activity you are looking at a 1/2 pound twice a day. Increase if active. For 75 pounds- you want 3/4 of a pound twice a day..
Eh, I disagree. Zeus is 60 lbs and Voodoo is 70 lbs, and they each eat about 2 pounds of food a day---Zeus a little less (approx. 1.8 pounds), and Voodoo a little more (approx. 2.3 pounds). And both my dogs are complete couch potatoes.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Actually, if you feed between 2 and 3% of the dogs body weight, BM had the right idea... for a 53 pounder, you're looking at 1.06lbs to 1.59 lbs and for a 75 pounder, you're looking at 1.5lbs to 2.25lbs, all depending on activity levels.

For instance, Buddy should get between 1.8 and 2.7, but he rarely gets fed above the 2% mark of his body weight, which is the 1.8 (and even then he doesn't always get that and it is increased/decreased due to to his activity levels). So it all very much depends on the individual dog.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
My dogs gets fed too much food, in my opinion, to be fed once a day... that's just asking for bloat or other health problems.
Ohhhhhhh without a doubt..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
Eh, I disagree. Zeus is 60 lbs and Voodoo is 70 lbs, and they each eat about 2 pounds of food a day---Zeus a little less (approx. 1.8 pounds), and Voodoo a little more (approx. 2.3 pounds). And both my dogs are complete couch potatoes.
Thats why I said about activity level. Remember- my dogs now are couch pototoes basically. The shepherds I fed more than that.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Actually, if you feed between 2 and 3% of the dogs body weight, BM had the right idea... for a 53 pounder, you're looking at 1.06lbs to 1.59 lbs and for a 75 pounder, you're looking at 1.5lbs to 2.25lbs, all depending on activity levels.
Hmm. I guess my two must have killer metabolisms or something. When I had them on Natural Balance, they ate a combined total of 12 cups per day. My dog food bill was insane. According to the feeding guidelines on the bag, I think the Horsemen should have weighed about 350 pounds apiece.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:

For instance, Buddy should get between 1.8 and 2.7, but he rarely gets fed above the 2% mark of his body weight, which is the 1.8 (and even then he doesn't always get that and it is increased/decreased due to to his activity levels). So it all very much depends on the individual dog.
Thank you and yes.. Unless the dogs are like really hard working this works for most adult dogs. My working shepherds were fed more- but they were really active as well..
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
Hmm. I guess my two must have killer metabolisms or something. When I had them on Natural Balance, they ate a combined total of 12 cups per day. My dog food bill was insane. According to the feeding guidelines on the bag, I think the Horsemen should have weighed about 350 pounds apiece.
GOOD DOG!

I can't believe you were feeding them that much kibble? *jaw still on floor*

*Thanks the dog gurus for giving her 3 dogs that are pretty lazy with slow metabolisms so she can afford to feed them all*

I'd still take Zeusy, though.