Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogstarAcademy View Post
Breeding at 18 months isn't unusual in a lot of toy breeds- they *do* mature somewhat earlier- and you can test patellas at a year, although I'm not seeing any mention that the OP BOTHERED.
Ah, but unless she was born January seventh or before, she isn't even a year and a half yet, and already has a litter on the ground.

I second what Grammy said... let the pups keep nursing off of mom, more milk should come. I would also get a second opinion from another vet... or advice from other breeders experienced with your breed. The more experience and input you have, the better.

I think maybe if we try to educate this poster more politely about good breeding practices, rather than flaming, it'll be better received. Me keeping my mouth shut on the topic might help, too.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Give the bitch some fenugreek...its an herb used in cooking..most good grocers carry it. Administer a small amount in food and her milk will pick up...usually within a day or two. The stuff works like gangbusters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Ok, first things first, the pups are already here, no point in slamming the OP about age, genetic testing etc.

Weigh the pups TWICE a day, with a good scale. General rule of thumb with same breeds is the pups should gain 1-2 oz each day, they should double their birth weight by one week of age and so on.
Personally I don't like the nursing bottles, easier to get a syringe and nursing tip from the vet, you must hold the pups upright but not tipped backwards, if they are hungry they will lap the MR from the tip. Care has to be taken not to have too much fluid coming at once, each pup is different but most will lap at a few drops. Record how much each pup is eating, give excess MR to the dam.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for all those who offered ADVICE or HELP. Your time is appreciated.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply back sooner. I wanted to make sure a few of the suggestions were working and to give the mom a chance at nursing as suggested. They must be nursing ok because their bellies are rounded out, they are gaining weight. born in at 5oz and now most are between 17.5 to 18.5 oz....1oz to 2oz each day and they are almost walking around even. hardly cry, yet seem active. all eyes are open too. both parents are registered AKC. not sure about these tests? but then again I don't plan nor claim to be a breeder or want to show my dogs. so don't worry.

I know about planning for things, reading, research but there is some things that unless you or someone has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with then all the reading in the world or preparing for isn't going to help. that's why I asked a question.

I am monitoring the pups along with my wife about their feeding and plan to get a tube feeding setup ready just incase. also I have gotten good suggestions for bottles which I will use if any issues come up.

I'm going to post pictures soon in the correct forum. hopefully it will give the few in this thread something to bash at if they don't have anything else better to do
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
but then again I don't plan nor claim to be a breeder or want to show my dogs. so don't worry.
I'm sorry, what is a breeder?

Because I THOUGHT it was someone who breeds two dogs together and then raises the puppies until it's time for them to leave the mom.

What if someone on this forum bought one of your puppies, and then asked us a question to which the answer was "Talk to your breeder," would s/he reply, "My puppy doesn't have a breeder"?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
both parents are registered AKC. not sure about these tests? but then again I don't plan nor claim to be a breeder or want to show my dogs. so don't worry.
AKC registered means absolutely nothing. Dogs that come from the pet store at the mall are AKC registered and they are all poorly bred puppy mill dogs. The absolute number one most important thing to do before you breed is to test your dogs first for the diseases and hereditary conditions known in their breed. Hands down most important thing to do. You might be creating dogs with major health issues that will come up when they are older that could have been totally prevented. The female is your dog but where did this male come from? Obviously not from a good breeding program or else they would not have allowed him to mate with your underaged untested bitch.

You bred the dogs didn't you? Intentionally? Then I believe you are a breeder! What you are doing would in fact be THE definition of a breeder.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

My first concern were the pups and I'm glad that they are doing well . Since it's a done deal , may the OP ( as THE breeder ) now write up a good contract for the future buyers stating that the pup will either be S/N or not breed until full testing is done a 2 years old . I do hope that you have " THE " book to socialize these little one !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 07-12-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Just try me..

Don't forget in the contract to put a lifetime return and health guarantee. Since they are not health tested you need to be very upfront and take responsibility with a good health guarantee.. like for 8 years or life.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Just curious, I am kind of afraid to ask... what breed is the father of the puppies?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Lord , don't add that to the mix !!!! I presumed that they are purebred !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/