Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

Default Caucasian Mountain Dog

I wanna see if anyone else knows about this rare breed to the united states. They can get up to 200 pounds. They also are aswome guard dogs. They were originaly bred to guard sheep but the soviete union took them in as guard dogs. Which made the breed very aggressive.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Show Dog

Country of origin: Caucasian Republics, Russia MAP
Date of origin: Middle Ages, probably much earlier
Other names: Caucasian Ovcharka, Shepherd or Sheepdog; Nagazi (Georgian Republic), Gampr (Armenia);Kawkasky Owtscharka; Kaukasische Schaferhund
Weight Range: 70-160lbs
Height Range: 26-32inches
Longevity: 10+ years
Color: Shades of agouti gray to fawn, patched, brindle, occasionally all white.
Description: Bear-like head, bluntly cropped ears, stocky, thick coat may be short, medium or long, regional variation, steppe and mountain types
Use: Livestock guardian, area/estate protection, companion, show.
Character: Protective, territorial, suspicious, alert, trainable and willing workers. Requires above average socialization and firm, inducive training. Family oriented, demonstrative, and gentle to well-mannered children with proper raising. Must be under control at all times - fence, leash and voice control. Can be noisy, unmanageable, owner dominant. A wonderful breed but not for everyone.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Show Dog

check this site out, http://www.flockguard.org/cauctoc.htm, and this one http://www.caucasianmountaindog.com/index.htm I think it looks like a great breed, but I would buy a Rottie if I wanted a big dog, our Rottie before was the sweetest dog ever! I love how they look a little like bears! great looking dog's they sounds sweet too.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Felurian

Check out http://www.molosserdogs.com/modules....ntent&tid=1224

I love this site! I could spend hours on end just studying the different molossoids.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:59 AM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

cool my dog is half rotty. I dont think a caucasian mountain dog would make a good house pet either. They are a little to aggressive. I am goanna check out those sites rite now.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Esquire Caucasians

Caucasians have lived with families for thousands of years and , like the Great Pyrenees, do very well as housedogs if they get enough exercise/yard time. Properly socialized, they exhibit excellent judgment and while very protective, are also quite manageable. Most Caucasians in the US live as housedogs. But it takes the right family and the right circumstances. I invite you to my website and over 350 photos of my own Caucasians:

http://www.esquirecaucasians.com

We are the founding kennel for the breed in the United States.

Regards,

Stacey Kubyn
Esquire Caucasians Est. 1990
http://www.esquirecaucasians.com
440-285-2374
Old 08-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Felurian

Stacey, it's quite an opportunity to communicate directly with someone responsible for bringing such a distinctive breed to this country. They're lovely, admirable creatures, but like our Filas, definitely not for just any dog fancier!

I've got to ask where in Ohio Chardon Township is. My Father's family is from Gallipolis, on the Ohio River about 40 miles east of Cincinnati. My Uncle John spent a great deal of time during the Cold War and after, travelling in the USSR and Russia and up until a recently maintained a law office near Moscow.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:59 AM
Esquire Caucasians

Hi and thanks! We are in the NE corner of Ohio, about 1 hour from the PA border! Did Uncle John see the breed in Russia?

The story of our start is at: http://www.cocaclub.us
Old 08-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Felurian

I don't know what exactly he was doing in Russia; he was always very evasive about his trips, but, shall we say, we have our suspicions . . . not many people could come and go through Iron Curtain USSR seemingly at will, and he did graduate from the Naval Academy with a degree in Russian studies, speaking fluent Russian, a large, bellicose man . . . it's always been just a tad fishy. It wouldn't surprise me if he had been intrigued with the breed; they're exactly the type of dog that would appeal to him.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Esquire Caucasians

Well if he was doing top secret government stuff he may well have run into the breed as they were used for security purposes by the Soviet government!