Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Have you tried clicker training? You can clicker train her to get used to things like having her nails trimmed, being picked up etc.

Say you want her used to "rough" petting. Get her first used to an approaching hand by moving your hand towards her side click and treat repeat. Then towards her face, click and treat, repeat (just assume after every behavior i'm going to say click and treat then repeat until she is comfortable with it). Then over her head and once she used to all that start doing it faster so no fast movements to touch her freak her out. Then touch her somewhere she likes. Slowly touch her (only for a brief moment) in every other area you can think of making sure not to do the "iffy" areas right away or all together in a row (can you say frustrating!). Always click and treat unless she acts out (although you should not be pushing her hard enough for her to act out). Slowly over days or weeks depending on her personality increase the length of time you touch her for. Then increase the pressure with which you touch her. Pick up and ear and slowly but with some pressure pet it, same with feet (but in an area you know she dislikes don't do it quite as long or as hard, make sure you can read her body language, don't push), tail and body. Remember to click and treat after every pat she allows. Basically slowly increase all this, pressure then speed or vice versa until you can quickly pet her roughly. Then increase the amount of time you can pet her roughly. Do it for 3 seconds, click and treat, then 5 sec., 10 sec., 30 sec. etc. until she remains calm for a full blown petting session of rough petting (like a child would do, remember not to hurt her, only push her around a bit).

Nial clipping is easy to do with click training...where is that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Hey, if you are interested in using clicker training PM me with some things you need help with and I'll see if I can put together some "how to" clicker training recipes for the behaviors. Clicker training may not be for every person but so long as your dog likes food (or any other reward) it works really well IMO.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Puppy Dog

I have done some shaping with clicker training with Maggie. Honestly it's the only training she responds to. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try that first thing tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Puppy Dog

Well I got the clicker out for the first time in months and she remembered the sound. I did a "test click" when I found it in the drawer and she came running from her sleeping spot. lol I worked on her nail clipping with it and she seemed to be very comfortable near the end. I managed to clip 2 nails with no growling or biting, I quite after two though because I didn't want to push her too far. I was amazed because I have NEVER been able to clip her nails.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Top Dog

Hey that's great!!!!! And it's good you didn't push, you have to remember to stop before she gets upset, but I bet you'll be doing them all in no time! Kepp up the practice and tell us how it goes.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!