Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Default The "teenage" puppy phase

I'm hating it!

One minute he's an angel and then the next minute he's an absolute pain in the butt.

We just completed a basic training class with him last week. He passed at the top of his class. Just now playing in the yard, he tears off with his frisbee and refuses to come back to me. All I could do is stand there and wait until he wore himself out. In the end, the goal of exercising him for the day was still accomplished, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun for me.

I know it's just a phase and I need to keep working on his basic commands, but this is driving me crazy! What happened to the sweet, little puppy that wanted to do ANYTHING to make me happy?? Where did this little terror-dog come from??

Okay, he's not really a terror-dog, but I am not happy with him right now. And I think he knows it. He is currently trying to curl up on the floor as close to me as possible and offer me is favorite toys.

That's all. I just needed a brief moment to rant.

Ah, the joys of raising and training a puppy.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
RedyreRottweilers

The very best advice I can give you is get a good light very long line, and use it to your advantage.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Who woulda thought <3

The teen age puppy phase, is terrible and horrendous, and should never be spoken of...

Good Luck

and Ditto what Red said
Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
The very best advice I can give you is get a good light very long line, and use it to your advantage.

I have been meaning to get a 30-foot training lead, and every time I go to the pet supply I forget. GRRRR!!

I need some sort of alert system that calls my cell phone every time I walk into a pet store and reminds me to buy the dang lead!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
The teen age puppy phase, is terrible and horrendous, and should never be spoken of...
Well, I'm speaking of it! I just have to rant sometimes to people who I know understand.

Of course, right now he is in an "angel" mode. We'll see what happens when I try to put him to bed in a few minutes...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
Well, I'm speaking of it! I just have to rant sometimes to people who I know understand.
I know

it still makes me shudder when I think back to how chloe was
Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
I know

it still makes me shudder when I think back to how chloe was
Hopefully I'll be able to look back on this phase and shudder before too long as well.

Seriously! There are days that I just want to grab him by the cheeks and shake his sense back into him. I don't, of course, but it's sooooooo tempting at times!

"What do you MEAN you don't remember how to sit?? What to you MEAN you don't recognize your name??? *shakes!!*"

Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM
RedyreRottweilers

hey, you can get the stuff to make one for just a few bucks at any home improvement store.

30 feet of light line, and a small bolt snap. Tie a knot in the end of the line, and tie the bolt snap onto the end securely.

Voila.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
hey, you can get the stuff to make one for just a few bucks at any home improvement store.

30 feet of light line, and a small bolt snap. Tie a knot in the end of the line, and tie the bolt snap onto the end securely.

Voila.

Could you send me a picture of what that looks like? I would love to make one myself, but I am having a hard time picturing what the bolt snap assembly would look like... Most of my projects aren't usually hardware oriented.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Original Twin

Or even easier, if you have a leash you don't use anymore, just cut the fabric off the clip and replace it with the long line. (Most leash clips are bolt snaps.)