Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
A Unit of Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Well that would give her the chance to watch you interact with your dogs and see that humans and dogs can have fun together.
i've heard model/rival methods may have some application with aggression. good call.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
A Unit of Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
All the time in the world a month was prepaid. Didn't think of oral sedation at the time. I'll give a hint........I was handling her in less than 4 days (without getting bit ).....

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Well that would give her the chance to watch you interact with your dogs and see that humans and dogs can have fun together.
Yes, that is how I started with her..........well done CP!!

Want me to give the scoop??
Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Yes, that is how I started with her..........well done CP!!

Nice that you could touch her in less than 4 days!! I'm impressed.

Now tell us the story of what happened when she was with you.

And I used that tactic myself when I brought Tyr home and he was so scared and car sick and violently shaking. I almost turned around and returned him - glad I didn't though - but I brought out Morgan who is great with puppies and I let him watch her and me play with each other. He didn't have as many issues, so it was only a matter of 20 minutes for him to totally settle in...

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

The first thing that I did was put an x-pen in the diningroom and I let out my alpha male (remember that they had DA/Reactivity problems with her as well).
I let them get to know each other through the x-pen, he soon was ignoring her and her responses had been good with him. I then let each of my dogs out one at a time for an intro, all went well. She was good as long as I didn't get to close and she was interacting with my dogs on and off.
I then started working and playing with my dogs, letting her watch. I never spoke to her nor looked at her and never made eye contact with her. As far as I was concerned she wasn't there.
Next day, I carefully introduced her to my dogs one at a time, until all dogs were loose in the house together. It went well, no fights. She was starting to play with my dogs and appeared to be very happy as long as no human was near.
I then started working with my dogs while she was loose with them, again ignoring her, but many times she would forget how close she got to me. She would then start to back away, crouching and growling/snarling etc. If at anytime she started to do that, I would walk away, ignoring her. Interesting thing happened at that point, anytime she growled at me etc, my dogs would ignore her also, would leave her and follow me away lol. If she wasn't growling I would roll a treat towards her, I had to say her name at this point (only time I spoke her) because this told my dogs that it was hers and they were to not take it. But this would also make her growl/snarl, walk away again, ignoring by me and my dogs. She quickly learned that growling/snarling wasn't working for her and she stopped.
Now she would stand quietly and wait for a treat, but it had to be rolled to her. By not looking at her and keeping both hands low (I was sitting) and not moving she would come up and take a treat/food from my palm. I then closed my hand with the treat, she had to touch my hand before it would open and offer the treat, quickly she was sliding her jaw along my hand. If I moved a hair, she would fly backwards but at least she wasn't bitting. So I had to teach her that just because I moved it wasn't a threat to her. I held both hands out, the left a little bit foreward, the right holding the treat, the left hand was still the right hand was low an moving in very small slow circles.
Give her the reward for not growling and for touching the left hand, but gave the reward with the right.
She came to me on a Friday mid afternoon, on Tuesday morning I went out for a couple of hours. When I came home and let her out of her crate she was very excited to see me. I knew she wanted to make the leap of faith.
I squatted down, hung my hands down off my legs between my legs and turned my head away........she came under my hands placing my hands on her back, almost crawling on the floor. I started to move my fingers slowly and petted/scratching her, this lasted for about 20 seconds, then she took off flying through the house at mach 1. A very happy and excited dog. I never moved, when she came back she put herself again under my hands. From that point on I could touch her anywheres and even pick her up as time progressed.
Two days later, I called a dog friend over to handler her, I didn't want to be the only one she allowed to handle her. She quickly progressed to my husband and son being able to touch and pet her. Within a week, I had her in town, meeting and greeting strangers with lots of rewards.

Ok, who's got the next case???

Last edited by adojrts; 06-27-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

WOW!! Very nice!

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

lynn -
Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
treehugging clicker freak

How about a 4mo old doxie puppy showing extremely fearful behavior toward some people, children and all dogs. Ears back, tail tucked, and Screaming if they enter the same room or look at him from across the street. Had shown same fearful behaviors at a young age (8wks...). Owners tried to work past it by ignoring fearful behaviors, and rewarding quite and calm behavior and continue to introduce to new people with little progress. They also tried their version of "flooding" by putting the puppy in the same room with a very well behaved and mellow female westie. He screamed for a good ten mins before he peed, and then allowed himself to be sniffed. Then he wanted to play...
He knows sit and they are working on a more solid stay, and leave it.

ETA: the owners are frustrated with no progress, and the SCREAMING. He is deff a screamer. They are considering rehoming

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

What was their idea of "introducing" him -- were they having people get up close to pet him?

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Is this a problem that you've solved, now? It kinda sounds like it's an ongoing problem - "The owners are considering rehoming"

For only having the dog about two months, they sure have tried a lot of different methods. Is there a professional trainer advising them on those methods?

Have they done any clicker training? They could start by working on clicking as soon as he looks at another dog or person (before he starts screaming), to teach him that looking at scary things is very rewarding.