Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

I can't answer those questions because I don't know. But I do know that the rest of the litter had to be pts as adults for aggression. And I was also told that the sire and dam were also pts for aggression.
As an adult when I met her, you could not approach her to touch her or she would attack and bite.
If you held a leash in your hands, told her to sit, she would stay for the leash to be put on, but any attempt to touch her while putting on the leash or afterwards, resulted in an attack or bite.
She would not approach people, even looking at her from across the room made her start to growl and hackles coming up. She also would not take a treat, if tossed to her she would snatch it up and run away. She also would not take her meals from hand. No interest in toys, but she was a pro at shredding tennis balls if she could get them.........but she didn't care if the person had them.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I can't answer those questions because I don't know. But I do know that the rest of the litter had to be pts as adults for aggression. And I was also told that the sire and dam were also pts for aggression.
Sad to say, if it were my dog, I would pts, and knowing this confirms that...but...

If she's got a lot of food motivation, I would use that. I would get rid of the food bowl and carry her food with me. I would just randomly drop a trail of food. Eventually (hopefully) she would begin to follow me for the food that I dropped. I would also introduce clicker training with the food dropped or tossed for her, let her make the association between click and treat, and then click for anything not aggressive towards people. A glance in the owner's direction, not growling when looked at. Baby steps.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 PM
A Unit of Resistance

the thing about aggression is that no dog can sustain it forever, so i would have muzzled the dog somehow, placed her in a room with a few people with high values treats. and for a few days all these people would do is dish out food. after a while, try touching her with fake hands and keep feeding the treats. i would allow her to show aggression but like i said she can't sustain it forever. at some point she'll need to try something else. maybe that's taking advantage of the food, or shutting down, but my goodness this sounds tough.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

The dog came to be modified in my home, should have said that before.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
the thing about aggression is that no dog can sustain it forever, so i would have muzzled the dog somehow, placed her in a room with a few people with high values treats. and for a few days all these people would do is dish out food. after a while, try touching her with fake hands and keep feeding the treats. i would allow her to show aggression but like i said she can't sustain it forever. at some point she'll need to try something else. maybe that's taking advantage of the food, or shutting down, but my goodness this sounds tough.
Do you think that after doing any number of things to get a muzzle on her that she would then eat?
Note: Vets couldn't get a muzzle on her and refused to treat her for anything, its my understanding that several people got bite attempting to do so. Short of putting a noose and choking her, it wasn't going happen.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

wow, and this went on for FOUR YEARS?? The owners must've been either REALLY patient, or just REALLY stupid. Considering that they called on you for help, it must be patience.

I think CP's on the right track, that's basically what I was going to say.

The leash thing stands out in my head, though.... did you have to clip it on in any certain way, like always under the chin, over the head, etc.? You could maybe build on that to desensetize her to touch.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
The dog came to be modified in my home, should have said that before.
Well that would give her the chance to watch you interact with your dogs and see that humans and dogs can have fun together.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
A Unit of Resistance

Quote:
Do you think that after doing any number of things to get a muzzle on her that she would then eat?
how much time do we have? at some point she will be hungry i think. was oral sedation not an option?

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Collar was a choke chain, ring hung to the bottom and if you tried to touch her while attaching the leash she would bite and then leap away.
Yes, went on for 4 yrs.............although they could touch her under a year of age.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
how much time do we have? at some point she will be hungry i think. was oral sedation not an option?
All the time in the world a month was prepaid. Didn't think of oral sedation at the time. I'll give a hint........I was handling her in less than 4 days (without getting bit ).....