Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

CP,
Of course I am curious!!!!!!!!!!! As I am sure others are as well.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Well after breaking down the two separate exercises several times over, going back through all the initial training steps to see if we missed anything several times and finding nothing...

One thing I tried was using toys instead of a dumbbell. I used a ball, I used various dumbbell shaped toys - a rope toy, a rubber dumbbell toy, a rawhide. None of that was a problem for her - she would gladly carry them over the a-frame. It always fell apart at the point of putting the two exercises together.

So one day I went out to the training field and (after warming up, doing some retrieves on the flat, doing some jumping and retrieves over the jumps, doing some a-frame) I sat her next to me, I threw the dumbbell, I sent her for it. She went over the a-frame, she picked up the dumbbell, she came back to the a-frame and sat at the base of it holding the dumbbell.

I walked up behind her, standing immediately behind her with my feet veed bracing her hind legs. I petted her and gently picked up her front end and placed her front feet on the a-frame. I petted her and braced her until I felt her shift her weight forward into the a-frame and I let go with my hands, but kept my body there to brace her. She didn't move, but she was still holding the dumbbell.

I picked her up again, placing her front feet higher and placing her back feet on the a-frame. Again, I continued to brace her until I again felt her shift her weight. This time when I took my hand off her, she flew up the a-frame, down the other side, came around and executed a beautiful sit front. And she was still holding the dumbbell.

She never again had any problems with the finished exercise.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I'm not sure there are a lot of dogs who would let you pick them up like that and not drop the dumbell. Interesting.....

I'm still trying to think of a training problem myself...... Would love to hear another!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Yep that is interesting, not sure I would have thought of it. But who knows until your faced with it lol.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Yep that is interesting, not sure I would have thought of it. But who knows until your faced with it lol.
Yea, I probably wouldn't have thought of it if I hadn't been there doing it and after exhausting everything else I could think of. It was kinda a momentary idea, and I laughed at myself and then was shocked when it worked. I think maybe the whole problem was with her figuring out that she could keep her balance - figuring out how to adjust her weight - with the dumbbell in her mouth.

Who has the next problem?

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

I've got one........although I may have tipped my hat to this case before and how I handled it lol.

4 yr old female, would allow a leash to be attached or removed, collar never removed, would enter crate on command.
Would not allow anyone including owners to touch her without attacking with serious mauls and bites.
Vet's refused to even give vacc's, attempts had been unsuccessful, short of a dartgun.
Previous training, from 10 wks of age to 13 months, classes and privates non stop for aggression, methods were very very harsh.
Results: HA, DA, Reactive, Resource guarding, Territorial, couldn't touch her.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I would first suggest a thorough vet check, but that may not be possible. At what age did the aggression begin? What had been done with her up to that point?

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Aggression apparently started at purchase at 8 wks of age. Breeder was no help, new owners started attending puppy classes at or around 12 wks. Methods were harsh corrections with choke chain, hanging and helicoptering and alpha rolls to name a few in class. The no touching came after she turned a year old before that they could still handle her.
For the next 3 years she allowed no one to touch her.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Was the aggression something where she would attack out of the blue? Were there clear triggers? If you were on the other side of the room from her would she just leave you be or would she cross the room to attack?

She needs lots of work to rebuild trust. Leaving her pretty much alone but not isolated and gradually forming positive associations with food or toys.

Quote:
Aggression apparently started at purchase at 8 wks of age.
How aggressive was she at 8 weeks? How did it manifest? How severe? I'd be seriously thinking about putting her down, but that would defeat the purpose of this thread

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 PM
A Unit of Resistance

is it safe to assume no bite inhibition? what was her bite history?

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts