Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Default The Trainers Game

Ok, I am bored!!!!!!!!!!! Can't do much actual training because of this damned disease at this time and I am not competing at this time. So my brain needs to be worked.
This is the game:
Give a brief case history of a problem: breed, sex, age and problem. Then the rest of us ask questions and ideas of how we would solve the issue. Then the trainer that posted the 'problem' can tell us how they solved it.

Want to play??
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Sounds fun! How advanced can the problem be?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

No, I don't wanna play. I don't want to think. I have a trial this weekend, no time to fix or second guess things, just go out and perform and have it all come together on the same day. Maybe next week
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Who woulda thought <3

It does sound fun....I dont have anything contribute, but I would love to hear some problems and answers for them
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Sounds fun! How advanced can the problem be?
As tough a case as you've got, the harder the more outside of the box we'll have to work!! Extreme cases welcome!!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
No, I don't wanna play. I don't want to think. I have a trial this weekend, no time to fix or second guess things, just go out and perform and have it all come together on the same day. Maybe next week
I'm jealous, gezzz I miss competing.................to point that I could cry.
Good luck and look forward to you joining us next week. (of course that is assuming the thread is still active then lol)
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

OK...I'll start this party off.

Quote:
Give a brief case history of a problem: breed, sex, age and problem.
Training a dog for schutzhund obedience. She was about 2 years old, a mix - aussie and rott, spayed, adopted from a shelter at about 8 months, very high prey drive.

She was solid on retrieving the dumbbell, she was solid on going over the schutzhund a-frame. She couldn't put the two together. When we attempted the retrieve over the a-frame, she would either go over the a-frame, get the dumbbell, come back to the a-frame and plant her butt on the ground at the base of it, or she would spit out the dumbbell and come back over the a-frame and sit in front of me.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Fun game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
She was solid on retrieving the dumbbell, she was solid on going over the schutzhund a-frame. She couldn't put the two together. When we attempted the retrieve over the a-frame, she would either go over the a-frame, get the dumbbell, come back to the a-frame and plant her butt on the ground at the base of it, or she would spit out the dumbbell and come back over the a-frame and sit in front of me.
Ok, I've never trained shutzhund, and I've never taught a retrieve over a barrier.... But how about backchaining - put the dumbell on the bottom of the a frame on the side closest to you, and have her retrieve it from there. Then put it higher and higher on the a-frame, until she's comfortable retrieveing it from the top of the a-frame. Then start moving it down the other side, so she has to go over the a-frame and pick it up and bring it back, until you've got it back on the bottom on the far side.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
A Unit of Resistance

how was retrieve generalized/proofed?

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Fun game!

Ok, I've never trained shutzhund, and I've never taught a retrieve over a barrier.... But how about backchaining - put the dumbell on the bottom of the a frame on the side closest to you, and have her retrieve it from there. Then put it higher and higher on the a-frame, until she's comfortable retrieveing it from the top of the a-frame. Then start moving it down the other side, so she has to go over the a-frame and pick it up and bring it back, until you've got it back on the bottom on the far side.
A very good idea, and I did in fact try that. It was unsuccessful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
how was retrieve generalized/proofed?
The retrieve was taught using a plastic conduit, it was taught using positive motivation/backchaining, and later, mild corrections were introduced if needed once she understood the exercise.

The retrieves were performed in a multitude of locations, with numerous distractions, and using several objects.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!