Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Active Pup

Default Canned food recommendations?

I finally was able to get a hold of Innova food. I bought a bag of puppy food today for her. I was wondering what canned food should I buy? Is Nutra any good? or Natural Choice? Can I keep her on dry food only? Sorry I'm new at this.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

Innova is top of the line and the dry should be just fine alone for her.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Island dweller

It's quite possible to feed dry only. I don't buy canned food at all. Innova EVO is the best out there but there are other quality brands. Nutro is not one. Eagle Pack is another good one. I'm not sure of what you might have in your area. Mordy will help you more. Or you could visit her site. www.mordanna.com/dogfood
Old 07-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Quigleyfied

generally all the companies that make good dry food make good canned food as well.

when it comes to the "middle of the road" foods, the canned is often of better quality than the dry, so while i wouldn't recommend nutro natural choice dry food for example, the canned is pretty decent. as far as ingredients go, it follows the same principle as dry food - look for meat as the first thing listed and whole ingredients rather than byproducts and fragments.

while dry food is preferred by most people because it's less expensive and not as messy to handle, canned food is actually the healthier choice, since it resembles more what dogs evolved to eat - high moisture content and little need to chew (dogs are gulpers by nature, their teeth are made foro ripping, crushing and tearing rather than chewing).

personally i wouldn't feed a dog strictly on dry food with nothing else added. even with the best of foods, it's still very much like a person living on frozen, canned and packaged food alone.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

I feed Toki can food. I have at least try every single brand there is and I love the Innova canned food.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Active Pup

Innova has canned food? I didn't knw that.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I've been tempted to buy it too, lol.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Island dweller

So, Mordy, do you recommend wetting dry dog food? I do that a lot. They seem to like it better.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Top Dog

Well lots of dry foods say on the package that you should humidify it first. The only reason I don't do it is that if they don't finish it, it doesn't keep
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Top Dog

We feed ours Merrick turducken dry and canned. I just add enough of the canned to soften it slightly for my yorkie boys who have very little teeth. They seem to love it. Sometimes I'll even throw in the canned Wild Buffalo to add a different flavor, even if it's just a couple pieces of the meat and crush it up.