Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM
koda bear

Default new puppy

as many of you know i already have a two year old siberian well i got another that is 7 weeks old but my questions are how to keep them well im at tech school or work can the puppy be crated inside a few hours and koda outside because hes way to small to be trusted with her outside for know. my friends said they could puppy sit while i work but this isent realistic it wont work all the time. Another question when koda tries to play with they puppy since she is not just barely 2 she plays a little rough and the puppy is afraid and growls how do i calm koda down or is this when i should seperate them from the play like ive been doing and putting him in the kennel for a break.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM
koda bear

Oh lol i forgot one more thing i got two more dishes for the puppy but know koda is eating th puppys food and not her own this is mainly when the growling occurs he is trying to protect his food. i try to hold her back should i seperate them during feeding even though i normally free feed.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco16 View Post
my questions are how to keep them well im at tech school or work can the puppy be crated inside a few hours and koda outside because hes way to small to be trusted with her outside for know.
Yes, the puppy should be crated inside while you're gone, given that it's not too long. 7 weeks is very young to take a puppy home, though, and he can't stay in the crate very long without needing a potty break - probably 3-4 hours is all you should do. I'd suggest trying to enlist your volunteer friends to help out whenever possible - this will not only help with potty training, it will also help with puppy socialization.

That said, I'd never leave a dog, any age, outside unattended, especially for several hours at a time.

Quote:
Another question when koda tries to play with they puppy since she is not just barely 2 she plays a little rough and the puppy is afraid and growls how do i calm koda down or is this when i should seperate them from the play like ive been doing and putting him in the kennel for a break.
Yes, this is a good time for a time out.

When are you starting a puppy class?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh lol i forgot one more thing i got two more dishes for the puppy but know koda is eating th puppys food and not her own this is mainly when the growling occurs he is trying to protect his food. i try to hold her back should i seperate them during feeding even though i normally free feed.
Yes, stop free feeding and seperate them during mealtimes.

I growl when people try to steal my food too.