Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Active Pup

Default Feeding puppy once a day okay?

We were feeding our puppy, now 11 weeks old, and a beagle, once a day. Now, at my grandmother's insistence, we feed her twice a day so she doesn't get as hungry. Well, we feed her twice a day now, and it just makes things more complicated. She still gets excited for food, if not more than ever, and now she finsihed hers before our other dog, so we have to keep her from eating his food. Of course, our other dog growls and snaps at her when she is bugging him, but when she sticks her head in his food bowl, he just lets it go. The one time I wouldlike to see him snap at her, he doesn't. Go figure. Plus, she poops more often now with her food dpread out in the day.

I am of the opinoin that feeding her once a day, as we do with our other dog, is perfectly fine for her. Sure, she might be a little hungrier at feeding time, but she is a dog, and a hound, and she is always hungry, just like our dachsuhnd. Am I wrong to think feeding her once a day is wrong? Am I being cruel? Or is it alright to feed her once a day, and simplify things for everyone.

Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 06-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I'd probably never feed a dog only once a day, myself. And I would probably never suggest it to anyone else. Every vet and respectable trainer I've ever talked to has suggested feeding dogs at least twice a day, and up to 4-5 times a day for small breed puppies. To me, it just makes sense.

Your puppy is only 11 weeks old.... The bad habits like eating the other dog's food would probably have started no matter how often you feed her. She still has a lot of learning to do.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Puppies should be fed two to three times a day. They are growing and need nutrients to be fed into their bodies. When they are older, maybe then you can feed once/day.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Chihuahua Power!

When my chihuahuas were puppies, we fed them 4 times a day. When they reached 6 months of age, we dropped it down to 3 times a day. When they reached a year, we dropped it to 2 times a day.

I would never feed a puppy only once a day, regardless of the breed.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I also agree with the above. Puppies should be fed ATLEAST 3 times a day, preferably more! They are growing and have faster metabolisms (Like children) and need to eat more often!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Active Pup

Okay, twice a day it is.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

I would separate them or feed at different times if you have to worry about one dog eating the others food. You can always feed the pup in her crate or you can feed your older dog first and then the pup separately later (since it sounds like she gulps down food).

What are you feeding and how much?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Active Pup

Well, we feed her in the moring while our older dog is outside so he can't see her. I don't want to get in the habit of feeding them sepearte at night, because she is just going to have to learn to not mess with his food.

We feed her the Proplan puppy fromula twice a day, a quarter cup each time, since the bag reccomends a half cup for her weight. We also mix in just a little soft grav-like dog food, as we do with our other dog, because they just seem to like it a lot. Though I think she would inhale just about anything we put in her bowl.

We feed out dachshund a mixture of hard and soft dog food, mostyl because of the habit we got into with our dog we had to put down, who had to have some teeth pulled so we started soft food for him, and we just stuck with it. We also feed him once a day and weight managment because he is a dachshund and needs to keep his weight down. He has already had two back surgeries and can't control his pooping (seesm like I should be able to think of a better, classier, word, lol.) He never got that fat, he has always just had back problems.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Big Dog

I feed twice a day but if I had a small breed I'd feed more. My pup is 16 weeks old.
I fed my kitten 4-5 times a day until she was 5 or 6 months old. Now she gets fed twice a day.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

I have always heard that one can never feed a growing puppy too much. I would always feed a pup that age at least 3 times a day, then down to 2. For adult dogs and certain breeds of dogs, research has shown a correlation between once a day feeding and bloat (http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm).

Putting all nutritional and health reasons aside, my wonderful husband once pointed out that dogs don't do much - eat, sleep, and play. If they get to eat twice instead of once, how great is that for the dog! A special time of the day in the morning and at night. I like the idea and see it as something wonderful for my dog - two times to nourish his body and two times for him to anticipate.

How to Love Your Dog http://loveyourdog.com
Therapy Dogs.Net http://therapydogs.net