Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Active Pup

Default good dogs

most dogscould never do what they were bred for . we truly do not know for sure what different dogs mixed with what way back some breeds have short hocks to do there jobs others can have long hocks illike short hocks on all dogs what position should the hocks have ????
Old 06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeller View Post
most dogscould never do what they were bred for .
But the point is to have a dog that resembles what they were suppose to do. Your right - some dogs CAN'T do what they were bred for because it would be illegal. But it doesn't mean the standard needs to sway.

Quote:
we truly do not know for sure what different dogs mixed with what way back some breeds have short hocks to do there jobs others can have long hocks illike short hocks on all dogs what position should the hocks have ????
Not all dogs should have the hocks like all others? They should conform to THEIR breed's standard, not those of "all dogs."
Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Id also like to point out that just because a dog wins alot doesnt meen its a great dog. Politics play a large part in shows

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

And of course the British say their dogs are of course the perfect balance somewhere in between.

Oh, you know that's because it's true
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Squishy22

I dont get why some standards do not list proper weight. Does that mean that the dog could be of any weight? What if one person has a different idea of what a "medium" sized dog is than another person?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Crazy Dog!

Because all dogs are different. Some standards do specify a range of weights that they think are appropriate. For instance, I have two dogs, same breed. They are mother and daughter. Both are about equal height (plus or minus 1/2 inch) One weighs 37lbs, the other is 45lbs. Neither one of them carries an ounce of fat. They are just different.

Also, weight isn't as important as the overall size and bone structure. Especially in a working dog.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM
RedyreRottweilers

When height is outlined in a standard, Medium sized is the middle of the range given.

IMO ideal size for Rottweilers is 24" in bitches and 26 (maybe + a bit) in dogs. But a nice 24" bitch could be from 85 to 105 lbs, probably, depending on body substance, bone, and condition.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Crazy Dog!

^^^ Which partially answers your questions on weight too. My ACD's are between 19 1/2 inches and 20 inches at the shoulder. The largest weights 45 lbs. A rottie at only 4 inches taller weighs 40-60 lbs more. Add 4 inches to an ACD bitch and I would guess it would weigh 60 lbs. Breed/bone etc makes a big difference.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Show Dog

"European" dogs to me tend to be shorter, stockier and more compact. Which makes them look huge, when in reality they are not. But I do agree that first Dobe (couldnt see the rest of the Dobe pics) needs to loose some weight and develope a more defined uptuck.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Squishy22

Its nice to have knowledgeable people who know a thing or two about breeding/showing here at chaz. I learn something new every day!