Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Felurian

Thanks for the post. Let us know . . . we're all thinking of you and your baby. What's his name, by the way?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Active Pup

His name is Teddy . We'll hopefully next time Teddy gets sick he will get something more describeable and common so I can read about my own way to get him better because I just paid $252 to find out that they couldn't find what was wrong with him, and I am supposed to give him pepto bismol 3 times a day, and not for him to eat for 24 hours, is he gonna starve or what? He isn't even eating anyways... He's had like 1 small meal in 3-4 days.

So... $252 for pepto bismol, makes me fairly upset. As for Teddy he seems really bad, although hes moving a bit again.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Felurian

Poor Teddy! Poor Teddy's Human! I really feel for you, but imagine how you'd have felt if something dire had been wrong and you hadn't gone to the vet. For $252 you should have the benefit of some tests, at least, to rule out things like kidney failure and other frights.

Try giving him some diluted, unsalted chicken broth tomorrow, then gradually work up to some pieces of unseasoned white meat chicken (you can even microwave it). Dogs can get viruses, too, and it's possible he's just got a nasty stomach virus. Bland foods in small portions for the next few days will probably fit the bill for Teddy.

I've gotten mine to eat little pieces of candied ginger when they've been nauseous (Shiva used to puke in the car when she was a pup - ugh - and my Mom's little Terrier still does). There's nothing like it for vomiting; it's even safe for pregnant women, just don't go overboard with it.

Keep us in the loop ~ we're worrying with you!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Active Pup

Yes I actually gave him some chicken brooth today and he seemed to like it when it was introduced into his motuh, but he still turns away any offering of food/water. After he had the brooth, I seen some improvment because he drink water all by himself after. But that's about it, he's very very tried all the time, and he won't eat, how long can he go without eating, he's getting noticeably skinny.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Felurian

He'll do all right without food for several days. The trick is to keep him from getting dehydrated, and the first part of that is not to get the vomiting started again. Keep up with the chicken broth and just gradually introduce small amounts of the chicken; just make sure it cut into small pieces so he won't be tempted to wolf it down. If he throws it up, back to the broth. Make sure there is a small bowl of fresh water nearby, and keep it chilled with a few ice cubes. Warm water is one of the things used to induce vomiting; the chilled water will not only encourage him to take small drinks, but it should sit better on his little belly.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Active Pup

Today he seems to be a bit better, we have been forcing the following things on him, since he turns down everything: water, chicken brooth, pepto bismol (3 times a day as suggested) and rice/boiled ground beef. He has only drink by himself 3 times this whole experience.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Felurian

That sounds better, although the beef might be a bit heavy on his belly still. Keep it up, in small quanitities. I guess, since didn't say otherwise, that he's keeping it down now?
Old 08-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Active Pup

When our Mini Schnauzer was sick our vet had us feed her hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese.she is picky but ate it with no problem.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Active Pup

Well it's super time now today and he seems to be about 90%, except I don't want to jinx anything. He is eating/drinking on his own now. The rice was suggested because it expands in their stomach I think. He seems to be really hungry, but we have to introduce food verys slowly otherwise he will likely throw up because his stomach is so small. I'll let you know if he keeps up his good streak.

PS: I was reading around and it seems that raw hides aren't good for dogs, does this apply to all kinds, or just ones not manufactured in us/canada?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

No..all rawhides are dangerous and alot of times..toxic for dogs..too bad alot of people don't know that..