Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Having watched your vid, I would NEVER EVER carry this dog in your vehicle again without him inside a varikennel. Not ever.

I would place the kennel with the door pointing towards the side of your vehicle, and completely block his view of the back door.

I would then load him in the vehicle, in the crate, at least once per day, (making SURE he is not in a situation to get overheated), and LEAVE HIM until he settles and is quiet.

This is also a situation where I would consider a bark collar. He does NOT appear to be anxious, but EXCITED, and rather demanding. (He's ready to go so he can see cars and go even MORE nuts....)
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
RedyreRottweilers

oh, how could I forget to add how ADORABLY CUTE he is.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
MopTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

If this were my dog, until I got a handle on the behavior, I would avoid situations where this behavior occurs, as it is likely to be a very self rewarding behavior.
You know, I've thought of this often. But my dilemma is, if he doesn't get to go in the car, then we can't get to the woods nearby, where he can safely run off leash and get his exercise. He really needs to run off leash for a good hour or so per day to keep him happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

With some herding breeds these obsessive behaviors can be nearly impossible to deal with. You might speak to your vet about any medical therapies that might be available to help alleviate it as well.
Will do~ are you thinking of anything in specific? Doggie-prozac?

As far as the vari-kennel goes, I completely agree. We had a soft-sided kennel for a while (you can can guess what happened to that one.)

What clues did you see that suggest excitement over anxiety?

Thanks so much for your advice, very helpful!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Watching the video, his barking at the closing door looks to me like a dog that doesn't accept confinement. I agree with RedyreRottweilers about using varikennels and training him to be calm in the crate.

He's reactive dog and needs to be trained as such. He needs to work on basic obedience - a calm sit stay, a leave it, attention on you, a recall, etc - in a setting where he isn't triggered to overstimulate. Then gradually introduce stimuli from a distance while maintaining the obedience.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Just try me..

yep I agree with Red and Corgipower (tho I wouldn't do the bark collar.. it could amp him up)

If that means no walks in the woods for a while, so be it. Training is a great way to wear them out. I find with my Jack Russells 5 min of training is as a good as a 20 romp off leash when it comes to wearing them out.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTWT View Post
You know, I've thought of this often. But my dilemma is, if he doesn't get to go in the car, then we can't get to the woods nearby, where he can safely run off leash and get his exercise. He really needs to run off leash for a good hour or so per day to keep him happy.
You'd be better off not going to the woods for a little while until you have better control over him - and until he learns some self control. Mental stimulation can wear them out, so use the time to work with him.

If you really commit to training thru this problem, it shouldn't take long.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
MopTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Watching the video, his barking at the closing door looks to me like a dog that doesn't accept confinement. I agree with RedyreRottweilers about using varikennels and training him to be calm in the crate.

He's reactive dog and needs to be trained as such. He needs to work on basic obedience - a calm sit stay, a leave it, attention on you, a recall, etc - in a setting where he isn't triggered to overstimulate. Then gradually introduce stimuli from a distance while maintaining the obedience.
The odd thing about him is that he actually does pretty good with basic obedience when he's not worked up from the cars. He does fall apart with distractions, and that's what we've been working on as of late.

He also doesn't have problems with his crate at home, so it's not necessarily a confinement problem, but rather a confinement while in the car problem.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I'll try to spend the hour in the morning on some training instead of running, and see how that goes.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Just try me..

When training really get him thinking, get him really involved in the training. And he is too cute, so you could take pics
Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTWT View Post
The odd thing about him is that he actually does pretty good with basic obedience when he's not worked up from the cars. He does fall apart with distractions, and that's what we've been working on as of late.

He also doesn't have problems with his crate at home, so it's not necessarily a confinement problem, but rather a confinement while in the car problem.
Yea, they can be different in a car from in the house. Work on it in the car specifically. Also, if there are other distractions that are a problem for him, but a lesser problem than the cars, use them before working around cars. Also, if you can find distractions that you can control and that trigger him to become overstimulated, that would be helpful also -- like bouncing balls or a flirt pole.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM
BusterLove

I don't know how much this might help. But Buster is mad on the car. He doesn't care if he goes nowhere, he will get just as excited to get in it than sit int he backyard.
If I just let him out to it, good chance he will jump into the back closed window. He used to always get in first then get over excited and srab the other dogs faces as they were trying to get in, Not that Sophie appreciated it when we're lifting her in slowly.
So now he goes in last. He comes out on leash and we only get closer as he walks politley. When we get tot he car he has to sit and wait for it to be fully open then wait for the "okay" to get in, same as getting out.
I'm lucky he's a very quite dog though, his behaviour once he's in is running back and forwards from one window to another looking out.