Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-23-2005, 05:38 AM
Big Dog

Unhappy my dog ribs are showing

hi
my 4 month old boxer cross rhodesian ridgeback ribs are showing, you might say he will fatten up but since we have had him his ribs are there.
he did have worms about a 3 weeks ago but still looks the same.you can see all the ribs and when you touch them u can feel them.

he eats meat and we give him what the pack says, after he ate he could eat more, hes never full up.

could he have something in side him which is not making him fatten up.

he is putting on the weight but only in the lenght.

i have put a picture of him in the puppy section for you all to have a look.

any advice please
Old 07-23-2005, 06:07 AM
Big Dog

I would have him tested for worms again, also what food are you using?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Felurian

WHOA! You're right - he is too thin. What kind of worms was he tested for? You need ot have him checked for the full spectrum - including tapeworm and heartworm.

How are his stools?

What kind of food is he eating? My Dad took a spell where he insisted on buying some pretty bad food for Purdue at one point and Purdue just kept losing weight no matter how much he ate. Once the vet told him bluntly that Purdue was starving to death because there wasn't enough nutrition in the food things turned around.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

I got Tips at 2 months, he was really underfed by the rescue i got him from (can't really blame them as the dog was in a shelter first). He was way too thin. The vet didn't find any worms but we treated him for it anyway. I fed him nutro but it wasn't getting better, although he was growing fine. People here advised fish oil, I ordered some at www.seapet.com, got it a few days ago, so I've been using that, to hopefully make things even better, but just switching from Nutro to Innova helped a lot, after over 2 weeks of it he's finally less skinny on the sides. I've been feeding him more than the recommended dose though, but he has lots of excercise.

What food are you using? It might be your problem. Just feeding meat is not a balanced diet at all. I suggest you look at a good food (wellness, canidae, innova, eagle pack) and put him on that. There are others decent food (royal canin, nutro's natural choice, chicken soup for the dog's lover (I think?)) if you can't afford it, but in your case I think you should really try the best available.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

i didnt get the pic of him?
also maybe, you think he could eat and eat, but his ribs are showing..it is showing that he is still hungary and since his ribs are still showing, maybe you arnt feeeding him enough?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Please tell us what your pup eats, and how many cups per day?
You also need to deworm your pup again. Have you dewormed for tapeworms? That could require a different type of medication, depending on what you used for the other worms.

If the pup had roundworms, Your pup will need to be dewormed 2 maybe 3 times at about 3 weeks apart, or your pup will never get rid of them all.
Also, the pup will reinfect itself if there is dried aged poop where it frequents.
Clean all of that up to reduce the chance of reinfection.

Please let me know, as I am worried about your pup.
Julie.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Twin 2.0

I really don't want to hijack the thread, so I'm sorry about this, but I've got the same question with Sawyer. He had a mild-moderate case of worms that was supposed to be cleared up by the time I got him. He's 50 lbs so I feed him three cups of food (Iams chunks, in the process of switching to Royal Canin) a day and he's getting less exercise than he's used to right now because it's so **** hot outside. He's also on Interceptor, so wouldn't that take care of any remaining infestation? Or should I just feed him more?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
I really don't want to hijack the thread, so I'm sorry about this, but I've got the same question with Sawyer. He had a mild-moderate case of worms that was supposed to be cleared up by the time I got him. He's 50 lbs so I feed him three cups of food (Iams chunks, in the process of switching to Royal Canin) a day and he's getting less exercise than he's used to right now because it's so **** hot outside. He's also on Interceptor, so wouldn't that take care of any remaining infestation? Or should I just feed him more?
Zoom... I would get Sawyer tested for worms again. Interceptor is just for heartworms, isn't it? Maybe add some yummy canned food to his kibble to get some weight on him, too.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Zoom,
I think your dog is ok on the worm thing. (unless he had tapeworms). But one dose of tapeworm med.(praziquantel) usually gets them all.

Interceptor for dogs prevents heartworm disease, while it protects your dog against roundworms, hookworms (A. Caninum) and whipworms. But have a fecal done, if you have seen something.

But if your still worried a call to the vet might help your worries.

Julie.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Twin 2.0

Thanks EliNHunter and Julie.

You can have your thread back now, chilled. Thanks for the loan!