Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Default What is it all about?

Someone said:

Quote:
It's not about how many titles XXXXXXX has or how her puppies have won at show's already...
So, if it is not about showing and titling and proving dogs in the Breed and obedience rings, and producing get that can and do win as well, then what IS it about?

Anyone?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Felurian

That's going to depend on the breed and what you're looking for, I guess.

My breed, I'm not looking for show or obedience or sport titles; I'm looking for dogs who do what they do on pure instinct in real working conditions with little or no training. The dogs from show lines have significantly different criteria than I'm looking for.

The most important things for me, equally are health, temperament and instincts. It's more important that the dog be physically and mentally sound than it conform to a peculiar set of measurements and aesthetics. Certain physical characteristics are necessary - the rear quarters must be higher than the shoulders, it must be camel gaited, but those characteristics are part of what makes the breed able to do what it does. A dog that's too big is a fault for me - you lose critical agility, speed and mobility, as well as the fact that dogs that are too big tell me that someone's been breeding for size, not for the important things.

The heart of it is that it is most important that the dog be a Fila on the inside. The outside (appearance, obviously not health) of the dog is of secondary importance.

But my breed is a completely different set of questions than most others.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Dafuq?

Since the original purpose for my breed is illegal, to me it is about competing and winning in the breed ring and in working events. The latter being more important than the former, IMO.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Felurian

And that, Baha, is why it's such a multi-faceted and difficult question to answer. Different breeds; different needs

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm All Ears

My answer would be a sound temperament, good health, and a good representation of the breed (both physical and temperament wise) and what it's supposed to be.

AKA for my breed- cute sweet dogs with rather large ears.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

All my own dogs were in show or obedience ring at one or more time ..... Many I sold went on to Championships . Competition was not my piece of the pie ....I was known for calm , laid back family Goldens. Many bought 3rd generation . Once an owner was stopped at a park in Chicago and asked if their Golden was a Hawthorn Hill Golden . Yup !! No titles , no points ....just a big , beautiful lug pleasing his master and his kids . I admire those who do show ......but when you have 3 kids , many dogs , horses and many sports activities ....something has to give .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Squishy22

Something I've always wondered...

Is it considered unethical to breed untitled dogs (strictly as companions)?

Even if they are registered, health tested, and conformationally correct?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Well, that depends, Reggin.

Titles don't make the dog. However, the vast majority of ethical breeders compete with their dogs in some venue. Kennel blindness can happen to ANYONE. Showing your dogs to be judged by impartial persons who are considered to be experts in your breed helps to prove to breeders, and others as well, that your dogs are what they should be whether the competition is in the Breed or the working rings.

If someone is not competing at all, with most breeds, that would raise red flags for me. I would want to know why. I would want to know by what yardstick they are measuring their dogs. How they keep up with what is going on in their breed, etc.

Dogs shows for me are much more than a place to show my dogs. They are a place to LEARN. A place to observe examples of my breed, to see what different dogs are producing, what the youth of the breed is looking like, what the strengths and weaknesses are of the dogs who are being exhibited.

In addition to that, I study structure and movement of other breeds while I am at dog shows, and sit quietly at ringside. Often you can hear excellent remarks from others that help you learn more about a particular breed.

When a dog competes successfully in the breed ring it says much more about them than just their looks. A dog has to have a certain strength of temperament to travel and show well. There are strange places, lots of other dogs, buildings with different smells, and sounds. Being confident enough to stand for exam, and show themselves with flair in the ring takes a dog who can handle these types of stresses and still shine. I am always evaluating dogs when I first start showing them. Does the dog eat well on the road? Eliminate with no trouble? Is the dog able to relax in the crate and rest? Will the dog sparkle for me in the ring when I ask? Even moreso, the obedience ring takes a dog who can perform many different exercises on command with precision with the same stressors and distractions present.

The original comment was made as an attempt to discredit or minimize the significance of the titles I have earned on my dogs.

To me those titles are a true tribute to my love for the dog who wears those letters in front of or behind his or her name. It is their immortality, and a tangible measure of the bond we share(d) together.

JMO as always.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Well, I love your Rotties, but the dog that I would most like to own would have no titles and wouldn't compete anywhere. I want a Lightfoot English Coonhound. They hunt big cats and bears. They are physically stunning and you can't help but admire an animal of such drive and courage. The breedersdon't compete with them, they developed the strain for guiding hunters into the wilderness to hunt big cats, that is how they make their living. The dogs have become legendary.

They are actually quite inexpensive to purchase, but you can't have one unless you will use it for the purpose for which it was bred. And they breed for their own use, not for sale, so there is way more demand than supply.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
RedyreRottweilers

drmom, there are some breeds like you just described that are still bred for their function. This is one example where the competition "rule" really does not apply. However, there are VERY FEW BREEDS such as you describe.

The vast majority of breeds are not used for their original purpose any longer. So breeders show to have their dogs judged on type, structure, and movement, and compete in other working venues such as Obedience, Herding, Tracking, Schutzhund, Agility, Ring Sport, and etc to 1) prove their dogs, and 2) keep the working ability intact.

It truly is a USE IT OR LOSE IT proposition most of the time in dogs.