Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Fitzgerald View Post
The thing is, Marco isnt that big of a dog. He's about the size of an Austrailian Cattle dog. I think he's only a quarter Pitt, but his behavior over trying to dominate other dogs is something I cant have.

My girlfriend's 6 year old son is autistic and epileptic. She wants to get him a seizure alert dog. If Marco doesnt stop his aggressive behavior, I will have no other choice but to give him up. I will do that for her son if i have no other choice.
Uh, I have a son with Autism AND I have a pit bull that is VERY dog aggressive. She's dog aggressive to a point where she can be around NO other dogs, except for one. And it's not just snarkiness. It's "I want to attack you from the get-go" dog aggression.

Anyway, my dog aggressive pit bull wouldn't DREAM of harming my son with Autism. My dog doesn't harm humans, and the day she does, is the day I will no longer have her.

Yes, I agree that you need to get a behaviorist who is, not only schooled in dog aggression, but specifically in bully breeds with dog aggression.

Pit bulls (and of course, pit bull mixes) are pre-disposed to dog aggression. Some may NEVER grow up and become dog aggressive. But, most pit bulls grow up to, at the very least, become somewhat less interested in dogs. Meaning, they don't SEEK OUT other dogs to play with and socialize with.

Now, pit bulls are also notoriously known for their genetic tendencies for dog aggression not to show until they have matured, which usually can occur between ages 2-5 years. So...being that your dog is now 2, it stands to reason why he may be becoming less tolerant with other dogs.

Trust me, it's not the end of the world, but your best bet is going to be to keep him separated from all other dogs, until you find someone who can help you learn to manage him with his dog aggression.
Please do NOT set your dog up for failure by being fooled into thinking, "Oh...he seems calm, I'll let him around this dog now" because chances are, he could do some damage to another dog and it can happen fast (as it can when ANY dog decides it doesn't like another dog) and, so, to keep other dogs safe, AND to keep HIM safe, do not allow him around other dogs.

I look at it this way: Just as my son cannot help having Autism, my dog cannot help being dog aggressive. It's genetic, most likely. At the very least, it's genetic with environmental triggers.

You cannot train dog aggression OUT of a dog, but you can manage it and work with the dog and, just maybe, one day your dog may be able to be around other dogs.
I'd link you to badrap's list of dog tolerance levels, so that you can read up on it, but their site seems to be down at the moment, or something.

BELIEVE ME, dog aggression does NOT equal human aggression
Like I said, my dog is very dog aggressive, but wouldn't EVER touch a hair on my children's heads.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Excellent post ^^^^
Old 06-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

I think the concern was that Marco would get aggressive with the seizure dog, not with the child.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Fitzgerald View Post
I have Pittbull/Australian Cattle Dog Mix and hes gonna be 3 on January 22nd. My brother recently got a Pittbull pup and my dog wont have anything to do with her. Whether it be in the house or out in the yard. His hair goes up and he attacks her. What do I do about it? I dont want to get rid of him. I mean what if the aggression is only starting with the other dogs, and next moves to people. I dont want to have to worry about my girlfriends special needs kids because hes getting itchy and aggressive.

lizzybeth, what I have bolded is what I was referring to.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Martin

I'll try that then. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Martin

Actually, i've decided to try and find him a nice loving home where hes the only dog and he has children to play with. I believe its the best thing for him.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

I think that's a good idea. I'm sure he will be happier as an only dog and if your girlfriend's child needs a service dog then it needs to be done. I'm glad you are trying to find him a home yourself an are not abandoning him, make sure the owners are aware that he should not play with other dogs, in fact tell the new owners about this place so we can help them out. A home with children would be great, I'm sure he'd love that

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

I agree with everyone else. It seems to be a territorial thing. First you bring this youngster into HIS house and then you let her into HIS bedroom. He probably feels threatened and sees the puppy as a threat to his status and space. I'd be upset if someone brought some new person over to my house and then let them go into my bedroom too.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Obessed with Dogs

Well said! I also have a younger sister whom has Autism not only has Autism but she has Down Syndrome & has seizures. When we had Lacey who was a Australian Shepherd she was exactly like what Chewbecca explain her dog. Lacey was classified as a "Dog Aggression" Australian Shepherd are known to be VERY territory of their people and everything around them

not only she had DA.. She'd NEVER harm my sister EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Uh, I have a son with Autism AND I have a pit bull that is VERY dog aggressive. She's dog aggressive to a point where she can be around NO other dogs, except for one. And it's not just snarkiness. It's "I want to attack you from the get-go" dog aggression.

Anyway, my dog aggressive pit bull wouldn't DREAM of harming my son with Autism. My dog doesn't harm humans, and the day she does, is the day I will no longer have her.

Yes, I agree that you need to get a behaviorist who is, not only schooled in dog aggression, but specifically in bully breeds with dog aggression.

Pit bulls (and of course, pit bull mixes) are pre-disposed to dog aggression. Some may NEVER grow up and become dog aggressive. But, most pit bulls grow up to, at the very least, become somewhat less interested in dogs. Meaning, they don't SEEK OUT other dogs to play with and socialize with.

Now, pit bulls are also notoriously known for their genetic tendencies for dog aggression not to show until they have matured, which usually can occur between ages 2-5 years. So...being that your dog is now 2, it stands to reason why he may be becoming less tolerant with other dogs.

Trust me, it's not the end of the world, but your best bet is going to be to keep him separated from all other dogs, until you find someone who can help you learn to manage him with his dog aggression.
Please do NOT set your dog up for failure by being fooled into thinking, "Oh...he seems calm, I'll let him around this dog now" because chances are, he could do some damage to another dog and it can happen fast (as it can when ANY dog decides it doesn't like another dog) and, so, to keep other dogs safe, AND to keep HIM safe, do not allow him around other dogs.

I look at it this way: Just as my son cannot help having Autism, my dog cannot help being dog aggressive. It's genetic, most likely. At the very least, it's genetic with environmental triggers.

You cannot train dog aggression OUT of a dog, but you can manage it and work with the dog and, just maybe, one day your dog may be able to be around other dogs.
I'd link you to badrap's list of dog tolerance levels, so that you can read up on it, but their site seems to be down at the moment, or something.

BELIEVE ME, dog aggression does NOT equal human aggression
Like I said, my dog is very dog aggressive, but wouldn't EVER touch a hair on my children's heads.

Frankie's Myspace - Misty's Memorial Blog
Lacey ~ Misty
Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
*Biter*

I see that you've decided to give the dog away, so this advice probably comes a bit late...

But...

If this dog doesn't like to go outside, what kind of exercise is he getting? Both breeds that make up your dog are HIGH ENERGY dogs. Dogs that do not get proper exercise and mental stimulation can and will develop "frustration" related behavior, including aggression.

I have a very high energy dog. If it rains for two days and we cannot exercise him, you can see him starting to unravel. He gets crabby, destructive, and hard to be around.

Just my thoughts.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
I need a signature re-vamp. Anyone up for the task?

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls