Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Martin

Default My Pittbull Mix attacks other dogs..

I have Pittbull/Australian Cattle Dog Mix and hes gonna be 3 on January 22nd. My brother recently got a Pittbull pup and my dog wont have anything to do with her. Whether it be in the house or out in the yard. His hair goes up and he attacks her. What do I do about it? I dont want to get rid of him. I mean what if the aggression is only starting with the other dogs, and next moves to people. I dont want to have to worry about my girlfriends special needs kids because hes getting itchy and aggressive.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
just call me Nilly

Dog aggression and human aggression are completely different and unrelated issues. One does not turn into the other, so you don't need to worry about that at all.

You do have a Pit Bull mix, which can have dog aggression issues (and even some Cattle Dogs can be pretty snarky with other dogs) but it would be nice if you could explain the situations/your dogs behaviour a bit more before anyone can really help you with it.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Martin

Well Marco is a really good dog. He's great around kids of all ages and he loves cats too. Hes alot on hyper side, and he doesnt really like to go outside. Only to go to the bathroom.

My brother got a 2 month old red nose pitt and he brings her over to our place during the day while he and his girlfriend are at work. Marco has to be kept separated from her, because I guess he sees her as a threat. He did the samething with my Beagle (Shiloh) that I had to give to my sister.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
A Unit of Resistance

you really do need specialized help with this. i would hire the services of a certified behaviorist before allowing your dog to be around small dogs again. the problem could be as large as predation over small dogs and animals, or as small as a reaction to new things. both are going to be treated differently and there really is no room for error.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I think what vanilla was asking for was more concrete examples of what your dog does. However, dog aggression is a very serious matter and you should get a behaviorist asap.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Martin

The thing is, Marco isnt that big of a dog. He's about the size of an Austrailian Cattle dog. I think he's only a quarter Pitt, but his behavior over trying to dominate other dogs is something I cant have.

My girlfriend's 6 year old son is autistic and epileptic. She wants to get him a seizure alert dog. If Marco doesnt stop his aggressive behavior, I will have no other choice but to give him up. I will do that for her son if i have no other choice.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Ok, but what does he do? How does he "attack"? What starts these attacks? How are you controlling the situations he's in? How much obedience training does he have? Go to google and search for behaviorists in your area.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Martin

Okay, lets start with Shiloh. Marco seemed to get along with Shiloh at first, then outta nowhere, he started physically attacking Shiloh. We're talking blood and teeth. The only way to break them up was to turn on the hose and shoot them with it. It was intense to see my two dogs fighting. After that, I kept them apart, and sent Shiloh on a plane to NY to live with my sister.

With my brother's pitt pup. We introduced them out front. On leashes, and Marco seemed fine with that. He was even controllable outback in the yard. But wen it came to my bedroom, where he sleeps, his back hairs go up and he bares his teeth. He attacks her.

Theres no reason for it. I used to beable to take him to the dog park and I cant do it anymore. I dont trust him to behave and play with the other dogs.

Last edited by Martin Fitzgerald; 06-13-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Squishy22

Pit bulls AND australian cattle dogs are notorious for being dog aggressive. You should have been aware before you brought his breed into your home.

You need to see a trainer. It sounds to me like he is being territorial. If he shows ANY signs of being aggressive towards humans, then you need to jump on that immediately and get help. Something needs to be done here. He is already pushing his boundaries as it is.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Top Dog

It's very possible he's being territorial. The easiest thing to do until you get a trainer is to just keep the other dog out of your bedroom. Make sure that you supervise all interractions between dogs, and as much as possible keep it only in neutral places - drive the dogs out to an empty parking lot, or a big field where they can meet positively.

You probably have time, if you start NOW, to get a handle on this situation before your girlfriend's son gets the seizure alert dog, the waiting list for those is usually very long. Google "Certified Animal Behaviorist" for a website with a trainer search.