Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Felurian

Good grief! No WONDER you couldn't resist the two of them! And Daisy already has such a wise look. I think you'll do fine with these two.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

It does seem to be true that siblings tend to have a stronger bond. when my mom got her dog she went with a lady that we knew because she was also getting one. Now shelby (my mom's dog) isn't a big fan of other dogs but when she goes to visit her brother Simba they jsut play and romp and play fight and have a great time and ther eis no barking no growling no noise just playing and then they will fall asleep together. So I think it is very likely that they would form a stronger bond to each other than to the owner if they didn't get a lot of individual attention. but like everyone else said you should do fine especially with kids to play with them.

BTW your puppies are so sweet looking

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Manchesters

Default Pups And Older Dogs

I have several older Whippets who helped me raise several litters of Toy Manchester pups over the years. Anyone who visits my website will see my Whippet Blondie allowing herself to be beaten up by pups. She would lay herself down on the floor just as flat as she could so the pups could get to her.

As far as having sibling pups, they will do just fine as adults. When they want attention they will let the owner know, and demand that attention. After all, dogs are pack animals, and are geared to adapting to a pack situation. I have it made, because my Toy Manchesters just sleep on top of me in my chair when they want attention, rofl.

However.........I must caution that there are many things that are no problem to breeder/exhibitors that might be to a pet owner. Dogs who belong to a pet owner often survive in spite of what the owner does. Many pet owners do not educate themselves before getting a dog. They know nothing about crate training, nutrition, various diseases specific to a particular breed, quirks of a particular breed, etc. And often this ends up being very bad for the dog in question.

Again, just my not too humble opinions.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Show Dog

Okay, here's what we've been doing so far...Daisy and Jedi are being crated trained and each have their own crates. They are right next to each other, not sure if that is good or bad. But at least they have each other when we are not there (which isn't that often!) and at night. We are hoping when they can sleep through the night to put them in the kids rooms.
We have been feeding them separately; we have a baby gate in the family room and put one on each side, but they can see each other but at least we know who is eating what instead of them both going from bowl to bowl. Again, don't know if this is a good idea either.
We have told our kids that the puppies are all of ours but our daughter is "more" responsible for Daisy and our son for Jedi so at least we know they won't both be all over the same dog! And when we walk them they each get to walk a puppy.
Sometimes when we put them in the back yard, we put both or one of them on a leash. This way they are not going crazy and running under the trees and jumping on each other while they are trying to go to the bathroom.
Any other suggestions would be awesome, as would any comments. Again, thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Felurian

Dani, it sounds to me like you've got things under control Just keep on in the same vein and you should end up with two lovely, loving and happy dogs.

Excellent work with the feeding, by the way. Separating them should also help keep them from feeling the need to gobble so fast.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I, at the moment, have four dogs. I got them a few months apart from each other though so they had time to settle in and learn how to behave in the house before we got the next one. That way we didn't have all the dogs misbehaving all the time. Now I do admit that not all the dogs were potty trained but they are doing good now hardly an accident in weeks. Now with this new puppy that we MIGHT be keeping it's going to start all over agian (oh brother)!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Show Dog

My new question is, how much fighting is "normal". For the most part Jedi and Daisy are getting along fine and play fight but sometimes it will escalate and they are really going at it! I know they will try and be dominant but I'm worried b/c they are getting bigger and I don't want my kids (or myself) getting hurt in the crossfire. And I don't see either of them backing down. I know to throw water on them or startle them to stop it, but I'm just really worried about it continuing and getting worse. I'm also going to post on another thread to see if I get any other responses.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Are you dead yet?

... I just couldn't handle two puppies at once. No way.

It's true also that they will develop a closer bond with one another. I have no problem with my dogs loving each other and being buddies, but I don't want them so intuned to one another that they don't have much attention left for me. It's important to me that I have a lot of time to spend to bond with a puppy individually, and if I did that with two puppies at once I would be doing nothing else all day long!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:42 PM
no touchy

It's extremely hard to take care of two puppies - it's twice of all the puppy stuff - and they'll bond closer to eachother than to you. This is especially strong in littermates. I personally would never get two puppies at a time. I wouldn't be able to handle it and it wouldn't work too well, IMO.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Show Dog

It's taken a while but I think I finally have Jedi and Daisy's picture attached!