Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Felurian

That's happened to me a couple of times, Grammy. I thought it was just my lousy connection . . . frustrating, isn't it!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Show Dog

And another thing that I have been thinking about is that we got our puppies from the Humane Society. Shouldn't have they recommended not getting litter mates if it was that bad. There were quite a few applications on both the puppies that we picked so they weren't at risk of not being adopted. Shouldn't they have suggested that we pick one and let one go to another family if it was going to be a problem rather than risking letting a family take two and return one down the road b/c two was a bad idea? I just really want this to work and I keep hearing the bad sides of it and it is pretty frustrating!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

what i wrote was mary and Sally turned out just fine...i just had to work a bit harder with sally to not wall flower while Mary grand standed..(is that a word?) they didn't bond with each other, now i did have two children in the house..and all the puppies got loads of attention from everyone so it wasn't just me..it can be done..just extra work to make sure each gets the fair share of human time and training..i would suggest doing your obedience one on one without the other present and that isn't very hard to arrange..short lessons for both at first..a few minutes each several times a day..then after the basics are down you can begin training both at the same time..you should have seen my hoop they day both gurls jumped thru at the same time and got stuck.hehehe we had to get a new hoop. Sometimes we were altogether with GArg too..

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,

Last edited by smkie; 07-18-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Felurian

You CAN make it work out fine, Dani, and end up with two wonderful, lovable dogs. It just takes some extra effort and it's good to know what the hurdles ahead of you might be.

Should the Humane Society have told you about a potential problem . . . absolutely - but they probably are clueless. The job doesn't pay much at all, and not too many knowledgeable people can afford to take the jobs, or can endure all the heartbreaks.

Smkie can help you a lot on this - she knows what she's talking about!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

In defense of ed frawley (the man that wrote that article) he really is a brilliant man. However you have to realize that his specialty is Schutzhund Training and also bite training. He is a brilliant man though. he is just very serious about what he does and very matter of fact. He doesn't tell things the way people want to hear them.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

hmmm interesting thread .. when we got Nora, Sadie was 3 yrs old, give or take, and although Sadie is such a sweetie in any event, I think Sadie knew where her place was within our family and was confident enough to let Nora in with opened paws They never ever ever fought. Even as hyper as Nora is I never had a problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19
In defense of ed frawley (the man that wrote that article) he really is a brilliant man. However you have to realize that his specialty is Schutzhund Training and also bite training. He is a brilliant man though. he is just very serious about what he does and very matter of fact. He doesn't tell things the way people want to hear them.
There's a difference between not saying things the way people want to hear them and spreading false information though. Saying that a puppy won't bond with you if you have an older dog is pure BS.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Ok maybe I missed it but I didn't see him say you can't raise a puppy while you have an older dog. i saw him say that it was not a good idea to raise two puppies. I also saw him say that it can be done but it definately takes extra work.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

In the first sentence he implies that it's the same thing.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Active Pup

We got 2 brothers, Chuckie and Charlie, from the same litter and I thought they were the best dogs we ever had. They were a little more challenging to train, but no more so than a stubborn or willful puppy. They occasionally did have little fights, but they always got over them. Most important for us was the fact that they always had each other so they were never lonely when our work/school kept us away from home longer than we liked. When they were puppies they were not the least bit destructive and they never became barkers. However, from experience I can say that littermates have a better chance of getting along if they are not both dominant (Some dominants will get along, but this is not always the case). In our case, Chuckie was the largest and most dominant of the entire litter and Charlie was the runt and even as adult they were separated by a 20lbs weight difference. Anyway, I do not beleive that you can't get littermates.