Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
A puppy taken from its mother at 8 weeks is different than a full grown dog that has grown up and lived its life with ONE family for YEARS.

I kind of see it as comparing taking away an infant baby from its mother VS taking a 13 year old from its family and plopped into a new one. The baby would adjust way easier.

Just my opinion anyhow.

A puppy in a new home...cries..shrieks...and howls for it's family, many times, for days...I typically get many calls those first few days from frazzled puppy owners worried they made a mistake and that their new puppy is lonely and hates them.

A 1 year old dog I rehomed...slept in her crate the first night, silent like always, found the door to go outside and was tearing around the yard with the kiddos earlier that same evening...and was out on the family boat the next day (yes I did get a pic).

Which one...do you think...exhibits more signs of trauma, and experiences more stress?
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Not something you ever have to to...if you are finacially able, and legally permitted to house as many dogs as you need to house.

Heck you can even keep the puppies you breed pet or show if you want to. It's personal...and up to each individual how and what they are going to do when their numbers get to that line we all have.

I see a lot of emotional projecting, in this thread and for my part...I think it's typical of ANY argument that dogs get brought up in..training, feeding, medical treatments, showing, working ex,

A prong collar is cruel to some and surely MUST be causing the dog some sort of emotional trauma....to another? It's a useful tool they use to make their relationship with their dog BETTER.

Your dog must be suffering horribly if you feed it Ol Roy...and if you really loved it you'd feed it better.

Your dogs must feel so unloved if they don't win at shows...I mean they sit in a crate all day and are only objects in a beauty contest....

How can you let your dog suffer so awfully with that disease...you should put it down...

How can you crate your dog while you are at work?? that is cruel and depriving it of it's freedom! You should train it better so it can be loose in the house...

There are those that are always going to have a problem with what you do with your animals, not because of how your animals feel...because face it Reggin, BP et al...you actually have no idea how any animal belonging to another person feels,...but because of their own ideas on what they THINK...is going on.

I don't expect folks to agree all the time...and if they have this sort of emotional pictures in their minds..no amount of happy smiling rehomed faces or stories, are going to change that, because that ruins the impression they want to have. If I knew french I'd insert that such is life saying here...but since I don't I'll just say...I am glad my hounds here and abroad...are happy...and I am glad for the time they spend with me, and I always consider them and their new owners...part of my extended family.
I get what you are saying.

I feed my dogs that horrible purina one thats going to set my dogs into a deep depression.

I've used prong collars.

I've used e-collars.

But whats the difference between an ignorant owner rehoming their family dog because they dont want to take care of it anymore and a breeder who gets rid of their dog because their not satisfactory to their program anymore? The emotional damage is going to be the same for the dog in both cases. Put your feet in the dogs shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

btw an 8 week old puppy is not like a human infant. It is more like a human toddler...capable of moving, and feeding on it's own and understanding simple commands. So perhaps up the age on that infant to say 3year old....and I think you'd get a more accurate picture.

The 1-3 year old dog would be more like a teenager...say 14years old...and older dog just your average adult.

Most 14y/o's I know..to inject a little levity...actually would LOVE to live in any family but their own..LMAO.
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I crate train also. Haha. I know way too many people that are against that 100%
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
A puppy in a new home...cries..shrieks...and howls for it's family, many times, for days...I typically get many calls those first few days from frazzled puppy owners worried they made a mistake and that their new puppy is lonely and hates them.

A 1 year old dog I rehomed...slept in her crate the first night, silent like always, found the door to go outside and was tearing around the yard with the kiddos earlier that same evening...and was out on the family boat the next day (yes I did get a pic).

Which one...do you think...exhibits more signs of trauma, and experiences more stress?
I really hope that is true in all cases, but I honestly doubt it.

Different dogs are different. Different breeds are different. I know Reggin didnt have a problem when I took him at 5 weeks, but I do know that if I gave him up today, he would NEVER forget that. He would be a mess.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I get what you are saying.
But whats the difference between an ignorant owner rehoming their family dog because they dont want to take care of it anymore and a breeder who gets rid of their dog because their not satisfactory to their program anymore? The emotional damage is going to be the same for the dog in both cases. Put your feet in the dogs shoes.
One difference, that I imagine is very imortant to the mental state of the dog...is the type of home an ignorant person picks...and a breeder picks. Which is super important. IF people rehoming their dogs because of say...moving...did so using the same criterium us breeders are expected to use when we place dogs...well I think dogs would be a lot better off.

When I see a dog with emotional damage due to a properly done rehome...I can answer your question...up to now the only emotionally damaged dogs I know personally are that way due to being physically abused.

So to state plainly...the term emotionally damaged doesn't sound accurate to me...but then I have actually done a rehome...and if we get technical...received a rehome since I have purchased a Ch. bitch. Neither cases have yielded up any emotionally damaged animals.
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

LOL of course breeds are different and dogs are different. That is why not every single dog in a program...even of a breeder who rehomes...IS rehomed .

If it's not what the dog can handle it isn't done...I didn't think that was a complicated thing?
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
btw an 8 week old puppy is not like a human infant. It is more like a human toddler...capable of moving, and feeding on it's own and understanding simple commands. So perhaps up the age on that infant to say 3year old....and I think you'd get a more accurate picture.

The 1-3 year old dog would be more like a teenager...say 14years old...and older dog just your average adult.

Most 14y/o's I know..to inject a little levity...actually would LOVE to live in any family but their own..LMAO.
But the 3 year old would be way more attached to its mom than an a puppy who has been in existence for only 2 months, and half that time he is blind, lol. A 3 year old has been around for 36 months... 36 months to bond with its mother.

Thats the difference. Motor skills are different than emotional development and emotional stages.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 PM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

You think so? You think a puppy is not attached to it's Momma..it's breeder...it's HOME...hardly at all? LOL. As a breeder I can say you are very much mistaken, Reggin. My puppies recognize me even if it's been YEARS...their Mother's too. Come now...

Your comparison which I am trying to go along with...is kinda not working out because people and dogs...are different species...with different lifespans...and different ways of bonding. You are forgetting that a scent to a dog is like a memory and many times those memories are strongest when ALL they have...is scents.

ETA: oops look at the time...dinner needs to be cooked...try not to have too much fun imagining the horrors of rehoming while I'm gone!
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Squishy22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
One difference, that I imagine is very imortant to the mental state of the dog...is the type of home an ignorant person picks...and a breeder picks. Which is super important. IF people rehoming their dogs because of say...moving...did so using the same criterium us breeders are expected to use when we place dogs...well I think dogs would be a lot better off.

When I see a dog with emotional damage due to a properly done rehome...I can answer your question...up to now the only emotionally damaged dogs I know personally are that way due to being physically abused.

So to state plainly...the term emotionally damaged doesn't sound accurate to me...but then I have actually done a rehome...and if we get technical...received a rehome since I have purchased a Ch. bitch. Neither cases have yielded up any emotionally damaged animals.
I wasn't meaning long term emotional damage. I was talking about the "emotional shock" of being rehomed. That kind of thing. Bad wording.

Of course the dog would eventually get over it. It wouldn't be depressed its entire life, lol. I just wouldn't want to subject MY dog to any kind of trauma long term or not.

My point was that a dog doesnt know the difference from being ripped from is irresponsible owners VS being ripped from its responsible breeders. All the dog knows is that they are being ripped from their family, period.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site