Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Squishy22

Thumbs down Rottie breeder selling adults. HUH?

I dont know anything about breeding, but is it normal for breeders to sell ADULT dogs? I just find it odd. Whats the point? I thought breeding was about selling puppies.

I found a website that is selling a female that obviously has had past litters. And another female that they will sell pregnant.

I dont agree with that. Imagine how hard it would be on the dog to be ripped away from its family as an adult to be flown to a NEW family. Geez. I feel bad for those dogs.

The dogs are flippin GORGEOUS though...

http://www.dkvrottweilers.com/Menu_ForSale.htm
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Squishy22

This one also sells youths and adults...

http://chandlerhausrottweilers.com/index.html

It looks to be a common thing breeders do.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Breeders often sell retired brood bitches. It gives them a home and the breeder space to aquire more showing and breeding dogs.
I am not sure about the whole pregnant sale thing. That sounds dodgy.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Couch Pototoe City

Well to each their own. I wouldn't do it but we do not know the reasons why they are doing this. Could be medical problems have occured with the people and no longer can care for the dogs. Or maybe financial problems and can not care for them.. who knows.. I know a few people that sell older pups, almost even adult for a different reason. They wanted to keep these dogs when they were pups in hopes of a good showing career but the dogs changed too much and no longer are considered their show prospect..
I am rather grasping at straws to give reasons, but really I do not know why they would..
Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Top Dog

Some breeders will do that for many reasons. Some do it if they had a puppy who they kept as a show prospect who did not turn out to be show quality as an adult so they sell, sometimes when they retire them from breeding they sell, basically when they cannot be useful in the breeding program (although some people only sell for specific reasons, like they will sell the failed prospects but not their retired dogs). I don't know how I feel about it though. Selling the pregnant dog is wrong IMO and I'd say she's an awful breeder (don't have time to look at the site though...off to school)

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 AM
BSL Can Be Beaten

These folks are selling adults to N.A. so the dogs can be used in some sort of program right away. Import dogs are often brought over bred, because it is very expensive to ship an adult, so breeders over here can recoup their expenses by selling the pups once they are whelped, retaining what they want to use in their breeding program.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

It's common, yes. A lot of breeders will sell retired dogs, or unsuccessful dogs.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM
RedyreRottweilers

For me, I could not IMAGINE doing all the work it takes to plan a breeding and then sell the bitch.

Otherwise, often people look for homes for older puppies or dogs who don't fit in with their pack/household for a variety of reasons.

I have 2 young males, and eventually one of them will probably need to live elsewhere, as I do not want to have to keep them separate if or when they decide one or the other has to die.

I do not have kennels, so that is the reason why I have generally kept one sex (bitches). If we ever get moved (haha) I will have 4 in/outs in my house, but that is in the future and I don't know how long.

It seems that some of the German style people buy/import and sell dogs more often.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

As long as they make sure that they go to high quality homes I don't see the difference. If the breeder gets them a good home where they can be truly retire (no more pups) and they can be the center of attention in a family, I think it is a great thing. If they are selling them to become a puppy machine for another ByB then it is a terrible thing.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Walks into Mordor

^^^What he said.