Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Active Pup

Well, the sixteen year old (named Cody) is no longer with us. We had to put him down. He was a good dog, but he was confused all the time.

And when we brought home Dodger, when Cody was eight, Cody just ignored him for a couple weeks, but never lashed out. He was such a good dog, we were spoiled.

I realize it is a huge adjustment, but I guess you are correct in thinking we underestimated the reaction. I mostly made this thread to see if the behavior was normal. I don't know if it is "normal," but at least seeing that some others have gone through the same problem and solved it gives me hope.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Top Dog

The behavior is completely normal. Like MafiaPrincess's case, and in Archie's case, the dogs may never be best friends. Can they co-exist? Yes. In Archie's case, he was dog aggressive when I got him-- he's worked through that, and gotten to this point. I'm very proud of him

But I think that Dodger will learn to accept the new guy. Dachshunds are just cool like that

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Active Pup

Great News!

Today they actually played a little bit, taking turnes on a toy, Dodger finally taking some initiative and growling when she came to take it from him. I was glad to see him lay down the law. But they seemed to be having fun.

I think they will become grat companions. And on the upside, Dodger will have a female dog to hump rather than a male one.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutatis_Mutandis View Post
Dodger finally taking some initiative and growling when she came to take it from him. I was glad to see him lay down the law.
I thought this was the problem in the first place?? Dodger growling and snapping at the puppy?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Active Pup

He would growl when she walked by and sometimes snap when she pounced at him, but he still allowed her to take toys away from him, and even usurped his favorite laying spot. I was glad that he was showing dominance with the toy, rather than allowing her to do what she wanted, which was take the toy away from him. Hope that makes a little more sense.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Felurian

Sounds exactly like Bimmer and Shiva . . . and Bimmer and Kharma, lol.

He adores both now, although Kharma is the one he adores with his whole heart.

But he still reprimands both of them if they get out of line, and he's doing the same to Tallulah as well, which is good because he's a far better trainer than I am

I'd say your two will be fine. It sounds like they're figuring things out between them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Default new pup too!

This is all very helpful. I will be bringing home an 8 week schnauzer bitch on Sat to a 6 yr old ACD, and want to make sure the intro is handled correctly. The last time he accepted and babysat the puppy I brought with no problems, but it has been over a month since Corky was put down, so I guess I will have to do my best and see how he does. Now I am nervous!!!!