Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Blow. Me. Away.

I think responsible dog showing people w/ champion dogs that work to perfect the breed should breed AFTER all of the dogs in shelters are gone, but I think UNTIL then, breeding should be temporarily with-held. I also think potentiol purebred breeders should have a liscense to breed!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
I think responsible dog showing people w/ champion dogs that work to perfect the breed should breed AFTER all of the dogs in shelters are gone, but I think UNTIL then, breeding should be temporarily with-held. I also think potentiol purebred breeders should have a liscense to breed!
See, that would never happen though. BYBs wouldn't stop. They would keep doing exactly what they are doing. WHere would that leave us? With a bunch of poorly bred byb dogs and designer mixes. Well bred dogs would go down the toilet.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I have NOTHING to do with the dogs that stupid irresponsible people breed and let go to shelters.

I have a RIGHT to pursue my hobby, which is dogs.

The ARistas want us to stop breeding. They are in the legislative system trying to stop breeding all over the world. In the US, we fight new laws to restrict breeding, require mandatory spay/neuter, or outlaw dogs by their breed EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It would only take 5-6 years of no breeding to virtually eliminate all purebred dogs, and the lines that generations of breeders have worked so hard for.

I, and MANY other members of the dog owning public, speak with our votes. NO ONE has the right to tell me if or when or how or how much I am allowed to breed my dogs.

PERIOD.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think responsible dog showing people w/ champion dogs that work to perfect the breed should breed AFTER all of the dogs in shelters are gone, but I think UNTIL then, breeding should be temporarily with-held
Well the problem there is that if by some chance every single person stopped breeding, by the time all the dogs in shelters/strays have gone to homes we would be out of healthy, purebred breedable dogs (or would have damaged the number enough to severely effect the gene pool variety therefore harming health).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
I have NOTHING to do with the dogs that stupid irresponsible people breed and let go to shelters.

I have a RIGHT to pursue my hobby, which is dogs.

The ARistas want us to stop breeding. They are in the legislative system trying to stop breeding all over the world. In the US, we fight new laws to restrict breeding, require mandatory spay/neuter, or outlaw dogs by their breed EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It would only take 5-6 years of no breeding to virtually eliminate all purebred dogs, and the lines that generations of breeders have worked so hard for.

I, and MANY other members of the dog owning public, speak with our votes. NO ONE has the right to tell me if or when or how or how much I am allowed to breed my dogs.

PERIOD.
An interesting point of view and one Ive heard from many a byb and puppy farmer (which I know you not) but if no-one has the right to limit breeding how can we argue against those who do over breed or the mills?

Im not against extremely ethical breeding unfortunatley even those respected breeders in my breed think nothing of putting dogs in rescue once they've served their purpose and I would dearly love to see a restriction on the thousands being bred every year.

You bet they die!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratippy View Post
An interesting point of view and one Ive heard from many a byb and puppy farmer (which I know you not) but if no-one has the right to limit breeding how can we argue against those who do over breed or the mills?

Im not against extremely ethical breeding unfortunatley even those respected breeders in my breed think nothing of putting dogs in rescue once they've served their purpose and I would dearly love to see a restriction on the thousands being bred every year.
A responsible breeder would NOT allow any of their dogs to end up in shelters, if they do they are in the same class as byb's and puppy mills. You will NEVER find any of my pups in the shelter, and if that does happen you better believe I would be on the next plane, train, bus to that shelter. I dont care what the situation is.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
A Unit of Resistance

morality in breeding? i think is the question, and the answer is yes. i feel sorry for responsible breeders because they haven't found a way to control those less responsible, and moral breedings are dependent on control. if our shelter system is the example breeders leave behind, i'll vote for more restrictions and control over breeders until it is resolved. people can choose their hobbies, a dog can't choose his life. i'm all for requiring all breeders do what responsible breeders do, including mandatory spaying and neutering, requiring levels of knowledge, health and genetic testing, and peer review. at least that way you have a prosecutable position. anyway, breeding is a privilege, not an inalienable right.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
By the time all the dogs in the shelters are gone, there will be no more quality purebreds left . . . only illegally bred junk purebreds and mutts. All of which can be nice dogs to be sure, but all you'll do it wipe out legitimate breeders and purebreds . . .

As for controlling the irresponsible . . . I can think of a few things that should be done, and might help, but lets face it . . . you can't. Not without whacking responsible breeders, if only because responsible breeders tend to be law-abiding citizens, while a sizable proportion of the irresponisble variety are not. The best thing you can do is educate the public, which has had some success . . . far fewer pet stores sell puppies, and I hear far more people say "shelter" or "rescue" when they are talking about getting a dog.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com

Last edited by Lilavati; 06-26-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
CASSA

Depends, some days breeding is right when I get a call the pup grew up to save his owner doing what I bred them for.
Then when I get a call pup hit by car I say Ok never breed again.
When I lose a family member I say why create the heartache.
But the heartache passes and we need to remember the many great days the dogs bring to us.

And I believe all who breed by law should be required to take their dogs back.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Surprise, mills evade the law all the time and get away with things, do you really think more control is going to fix the problem? Puhlease, they will just find their way around it or do it in secret. I still don't see where that would help homeless dogs because the problem still will not go away.

Why more control? You can control all you want, but the people who are going to be hit the hardest ARE the responsible ones who are out there working with their breed. Do you think more laws/requirements are going to make everything sunshine and rainbows? Because I don't.

To me, breeding IS a right - and I have the right to help my breed without jumping through hoops because the public is unaware or oblivious to the BYBs/mills who are making it more difficult.