Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

I think it's worth it for them to simply spend some money and health test. They can still breed for function, but health too. I mean I understand the dog has to be healthy to do the job but some of the problems that are being tested for don't crop up for a while so if you breed the 2 year old dog and she starts showing signs of hip dysplasia at 3 it really stinks for the pups born before they knew she'd get the disease (and their new owners).

I do feel that with working dogs form usually follows function. if the dog excels at the work he was bred to do he usually has the proper temperament and conformation but health is not something to fool around with especially since many conditions don't show obvious signs until the dog is a bit older.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Ninja Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
For those who say its (just plain) wrong... are you in line with Peta's "there should be no pets" philosophy?

Cause if no one bred, there would be no dogs period.

(well maybe feral dogs...)
Yes, of course there should be no pets. I plan on releasing Bear this weekend. Don't worry, I have prepared her well. It took me a while to get her ready though, since she came to us "domesticated". But through diligent work, including running around in the forest with her while screaming "She is Bear of the Jungle! Accept she now!", I have confidence that she will flourish. She will thrive on a steady diet of wildberries, fish, and indigenous peanut butter.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Just try me..

ok so if you like having a dog, why is breeding wrong?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Ninja Dog

Lol sorry. I wasn't being serious in my first post (and obviously my second post). Breeding isn't wrong unless the dogs are kept in cruel conditions, or if you knowingly breed a dog with a serious health condition.

I apologize to the OP for my nonsense posts.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
Lol sorry. I wasn't being serious in my first post (and obviously my second post). Breeding isn't wrong unless the dogs are kept in cruel conditions, or if you knowingly breed a dog with a serious health condition.

I apologize to the OP for my nonsense posts.
na don't apologize. Just make sure your sarcasm is clearer. Many of us love and practice the fine art of sarcasm here.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Let it be

Personally, yes I do find breeding wrong. Why? There are enough good pets in a shelter and dogs who will fit working homes of all sorts in there too. Now I won't go as far as saying that we should grab the torch and pitch fork and take them breeders down. I simply wish that even ethical breeders who do all the right would breed a little less. I know not all are having pups left right and center (this wouldn't make them ethical in my books anyways). If you can offer what a shelter animal can't I'd love to see the day. One of our local border collie rescues is booming with dogs eager to work.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Gene Junkie

I really think it depends on who is doing it and what your personal opinion of responsable breeding is. But my answer...is yes - given the right person, work, and circumstances.

~Cate
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Yes, of course there should be no pets. I plan on releasing Bear this weekend. Don't worry, I have prepared her well. It took me a while to get her ready though, since she came to us "domesticated". But through diligent work, including running around in the forest with her while screaming "She is Bear of the Jungle! Accept she now!", I have confidence that she will flourish. She will thrive on a steady diet of wildberries, fish, and indigenous peanut butter.

I've been meaning to start Buster's training this year. I have so far only kicked him out into the backyard though and proceeded the screaming routine from there. I do hope he includes loose road gravel in his diet, among other delicacies such as cane toads and his own tail fur (when he isn't using it for nesting)

Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Personally, yes I do find breeding wrong. Why? There are enough good pets in a shelter and dogs who will fit working homes of all sorts in there too. Now I won't go as far as saying that we should grab the torch and pitch fork and take them breeders down. I simply wish that even ethical breeders who do all the right would breed a little less. I know not all are having pups left right and center (this wouldn't make them ethical in my books anyways). If you can offer what a shelter animal can't I'd love to see the day. One of our local border collie rescues is booming with dogs eager to work.
Ahh but here is the rub, if all breeding stopped even for 1 generation... what would you start breeding back up again with? Rescues are populated with unethically bred dogs (or they wouldn't be there) so in a sense you are supporting bad breeders. (they still sold their pups...)

As a side note- I breed. I have had 2 litters in the last 4 years as I do agree that there are great dogs in rescue (I foster for the JRT rescue, and its always overflowing with dogs) But most dogs in rescue are not nearly the same caliber as the 'properly' bred ones. In athleticism, conformation, and often in temperament.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
For those who say its (just plain) wrong... are you in line with Peta's "there should be no pets" philosophy?
YES! See my post below. I not only believe that there should be no pets, but that owning them is evil, and those who defile PeTA should be force-fed brussel sprouts for the rest of their lives. See my post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T HURT MY BELOVED PeTA SIGNS!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and owning dogs is evil, too.
Quote:
You are an example of a good dog guardian. I bow down before you.

Quote:
na don't apologize. Just make sure your sarcasm is clearer. Many of us love and practice the fine art of sarcasm here.
The sarcasm was killing me, Dekka... Come on.. please don't tell me you actually missed indigenous peanut butter? ROFL