Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Show Dog

Default small puppy

We adopted two golden/lab puppies (they are now 10 weeks) from our shelter last week. After a few obstacles they both seem to be doing well. Jedi looks like he may have been the runt of the litter as he is a few pounds lighter and about 1 1/2 - 2 inches shorter than his sister. Is there anything we can feed them to have him "catch up" or will he always be smaller?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Good nutrition now will certainly pave the way for a healthier dog and he is young enough to catch up if he is meant to. Some of the most highly recommended foods on this site are Innova Evo, Eagle Pack, Canidae, California Natural, etc. Doing a search or looking through this topic can offer some more suggestions on good food.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Felurian

Check with Mordy as to whether to consider them large breed or not. The answer will probably be large breed, in which case you'll want to either use a large breed puppy formula or an all stages formula of one of those feeds. EVO is fine for small breed pups, but usually not right for large breeds until they are more mature.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Check with Mordy as to whether to consider them large breed or not. The answer will probably be large breed, in which case you'll want to either use a large breed puppy formula or an all stages formula of one of those feeds. EVO is fine for small breed pups, but usually not right for large breeds until they are more mature.
I'm sorry but I'm new to this site. Who is Mordy?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Top Dog

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

All you want to know about food

If you have more questions, just ask.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Show Dog

Well, we switched to eagle pack for large/giant puppies. Daisy now has about 4 pounds and almost 2 inches on Jedi. Too cute...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Puppies will naturally achieve their genetic size potential without anyone hurrying them to catch up. If the pup is underweight then I would have him assesed by your vet, if not, I would let him be and not try to stuff more food down him. Please keep in mind that puppies may be concieved anywhere from 1-2 days apart from each other. Because of this, some puppies are born smaller and labeled the "runt" when indeed they are just younger....and yes a couple days matters in newborns!! It is not unusual for the smallest puppy in the litter to grown to be the biggest!! If your puppy is active and playful and eats a normal amount and is maintaining a normal weight then I would not worry about it. Good luck!!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Show Dog

Thanks for the advice. I think I was just worried that he was smaller and therefore not healthier. "New mom jitters!" I think having Jedi and Daisy is harder than raising my two kids But we've switched to eagle pack and give them the same amount of food. Daisy usually finishes and Jedi doesn't but he knows how much he wants to eat better than I do!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani12
Thanks for the advice. I think I was just worried that he was smaller and therefore not healthier. "New mom jitters!" I think having Jedi and Daisy is harder than raising my two kids But we've switched to eagle pack and give them the same amount of food. Daisy usually finishes and Jedi doesn't but he knows how much he wants to eat better than I do!
Sounds like you have it under control and new mom jitters....tell me about it LOL!! I have a new puppy coming home in two weeks and although I have raised quite a few, I know I will have a few "freak out" moments LOL!!! You are doing the right thing, and you are feeding a very good food. Both of your pups will turn out just fine if you keep up the good work