Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Are you dead yet?

Default Excited..

OK, I don't have anyone to vent my excitement on right now, so you guys will have to do.

I went in to the groomer's several days ago, because Buster needed his nails trimmed, and wound up spending a good hour in there talking to the 'head groomer' who owns the shop. Well, long story short, she and I got to talking, and she (Along with another groomer, who is also VERY good) would be willing to train me to groom, and give me a job working alongside her and 2 other groomers in her "Pooch Parlor"

The big thing holding me back from starting immediately is that I need to learn to drive this year, so I could reliably get to work next year.. My parents don't want me driving with insurance under their name, for many reasons (The main one being that their main source of income now that they are retired, is their 4-5 apartment buildings, and those can't be protected if I wind up getting in a wreck and someone sues us) so I would have to research and talk to a lawyer and the insurance company, to figure out how to get around that.. If I can't, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Things are still a bit vague, along with the driving thing, Pam and I haven't sat down and discussed the entire thing. but if I can sort a couple of things out, then this year I will be training for a job I will absolutely LOVE.

Anyway, sorry for the random post, I just needed to share my excitement.

Edit: I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. D'oh!!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Rip's girl,
Congratulation, that is very exciting, to be trained to do something that you know you will love! The grooming world needs people such as yourself, that love dogs and know how to treat them!

As for your driving situation, would it be possible for you to obtain your own car and own insurance? I know its expensive but the reason I bring it up is my kids both did that and it did not effect my insurance at all. I'm in Michigan, so maybe laws are different where you are. But, here if a person has the title of the vehicle and their own insurance, the parents are completely out of it. You can maybe get an older/cheaper vehicle and then just have the basic minimal coverage? That would at least get you back and forth to work. Well, good luck and congrats again!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Hey Rip, I'm happy for you! I hope everything works out. It's so much better to get a job you enjoy doing.

As for the insurance, do your parents own commercial multi-family houses, or do they own one that they reside in? I'm only asking because if they reside in the home, they can get a Homestead Act. Which means, that they are covered up to 100,000.00 if in case an accident may happen, nobody can take away their house up to that amount.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Love my pets

I'm so happy for you finding the opportunity to learn to be a groomer. Keep us updated.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Are you dead yet?

Thanks.

Irish - I can obtain my own car, but I am unsure of whether or not I could get my own insurance because I am under 18. I will definitely look into it, perhaps different insurance companies have different policies that can apply to people under 18. (Now, I suppose it is just a matter of whether or not I can afford to pay for it, I know insurance for minors is usually very expensive.)

Avenlee - Unfortunately, they don't reside in their apartment complexes. They would most likely get a Homestead Act on our current home, but the apartments would still be unprotected.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Felurian

Grace - that's great news! I'm excited for you

Now, you're probably right on the money on the insurance problem, as a minor cannot legally enter into a binding contract. The simple solution, of course, might just be to take out an obscene amount of liability coverage - enough to make sure the insurance company would defend you to the death rather than pay out to limits. Under most statutes, personally property isn't attachable until after the insurance coverage is exhausted.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Taco Dog

Rip this is so exciting! You will be choosing a wonderfully rewarding line if work if you do this! I wish you all the best

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Are you dead yet?

Renee, good point. I'll bring that up with my parents. I'm a little cautious of how much more it would cost, though, especially considering that our insurance costs would go WAY up as soon as I get my license/permit, even if I wasn't driving yet. It's still something worth looking into, perhaps I could pay the extra charges that result from my obtaining a license.

Thanks for the tips. I'm still learning about stuff like this. I'm just so happy that I could actually have a shot at a job working hands-on with dogs, and according to Pam (And many other groomers that I have talked to) It's a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

That sounds like it would be sooo neat if you could learn that trade and get to work. Congrats. You must have made a great impression on those groomers.

There's another idea your folks could ask about which has it's pros and cons. And that is that they create a corporation rather than a sole proprietorship with this "business" of real estate management. A corporation is a seperate entity from their own personal property. If the insurance is not connected in any way to their business, then that cannot be gone after. (I think I have this right. But they could check with a lawyer.)
Old 07-17-2005, 05:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

ahh shoot gurl, you just come over here and i will teach ya how to drive, so far i have taught 6 people, i can even teach you how to parallel park in one easy lesson. My friend Kelly..everyone had tried to teach her, mother, father, husband..but she panicked so i took her to the graveyard (where i start everyone because they have nice curvey roads to practice) and told her she couldn't hurt anyone here because they were already dead..long story short, she is a good driver..came back from hartford Conn. so i could teach her how to drive a stick..( i am pretty sure she did a little damage to my 65 early mustang but oh well..she got to learn in a realllly cool car. Congrates on the job..don't let them make you anal gland gurl like the did Aaron's girlfriend..that is what she is learning to do, and pet smart is paying for her to go to groomers school after the baby is born..right now she dog washes..

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,