Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Mmmmmm, kinda makes me feel sorry for the girl bassets! LOL!
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh, it's *you*

yes size disparities can be hard on them. In Beagles you often get males much shorter than the gals and you have to accomodate that...makes for amusing breedings at times I am sure!

But in all seriousness...backs are an issue in Basset's and I hope the OP is aware of how to minimize the risk to her girl by doing an AI herself or having a Repro vet do it if the male is markedly larger. Basset's get upwards of 50lbs on a good sized male so...caution OP.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 06-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh, it's *you*

another good link on bleeding disorders in the Basset...
http://www.basset.net/bleed.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Active Pup

Hmmmm, wow! Lots of great advice! Thank you so much & I think you are all right, I will hold off on my decision to breed her at all.

Thank you everyone!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

By the way, if she is the dog in your avatar, she looks like a real cutie, and personality-plus.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Bored Now.

No problem.. glad we could help. I hope you take Gina's advice about getting a mentor from your breed club.. even going to a few shows/working kennels to seek out advice would probably be to your benefit (besides, who wouldn't want to meet other basset hounds and smoosh those cute little faces? LOL).
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

first, I think you are making a GREAT decision to hold off on or to not breed at all, I think she would very much enjoy being "just" a pet if you want to raise some puppies though, check out some rescues/shelters near you, lots of times especially in summer, they will get pregnant dogs surrendered to them and they need people who can foster mom until she gives birth and the pups are old enough to be adopted. It's a great way to experience the whole birthing and raising without adding to the pet over population, hey and you may just be saving their lives. here is a list of rescues/shelters in MN that you can look at if you are interested in fostering. http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.c...on=MN&keyword=

Secondly I wanted to applaud all of the Chaz members who kept their cools and did not act aggressively towards this member, I know how hard it can be not to get angry when someone wants to breed their pet improperly but you all did a wonderful job and the OP even changed her mind

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by Maxy24; 06-05-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
first, I think you are making a GREAT decision to hold off on or to not breed at all, I think she would very much enjoy being "just" a pet if you want to raise some puppies though, check out some rescues/shelters near you, lots of times especially in summer, they will get pregnant dogs surrendered to them and they need people who can foster mom until she gives birth and the pups are old enough to be adopted. It's a great way to experience the whole birthing and raising without adding to the pet over population, hey and yo may just be saving their lives. here is a list of rescues/shelters in MN that you can look at if you are interested in fostering. http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.c...on=MN&keyword=

Secondly I wanted to applaud all of the Chaz members who kept their cools and did not act aggressively towards this member, I know how hard it can be not to get angry when someone wants to breed their pet improperly but you all did a wonderful job and the OP even changed her mind

Maxy you always seem to know just the right words to say. I definitely 2nd the idea of fostering a pregnant mom if you want to experience what it's like to raise pups. That would be a wonderful opportunity if you're able to do so.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Off topic, but a legit question...

HBH, are bassetts like corgis in that they are continually bred for longer and longer backs in the show ring?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Off topic, but a legit question...

HBH, are bassetts like corgis in that they are continually bred for longer and longer backs in the show ring?
No actually. Its still to be to standard as far as how long the back is compared to leg height. The most extreme breed in length of back is the Skye Terrier- literally twice as long as they are high..