Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Default 26 days left w/ Layla & Samwise...

Ahhh, guys. I don't feel so well! I have no more than 3 weeks left with my foster babies, Layla and Samwise! Layla was brought to be from a home where they kept her in a crate for over 9 hours a day. She was such a high strung pup that she tried far too hard without giving up to get out of the crate; she ended up with cuts and gashes all over her face and no teeth at all. Once we got her we noticed she had an amazing grip, loved spring poles and also loved just hanging endlessly on her leash. If she was not kept busy, she would lock that grip onto our pants and legs. At the time, she didn't have any teeth, and we were able to break the habit before she got her teeth back. She is a very high-strung, stubborn pup that loves to run after other dogs and bark at bike wheels. We took her at the tender age of only seven weeks old, and now at 4.5 months old we've found the right family. A couple weeks ago I found the perfect home for her, a family of three who are able to provide properly for her. I've come to know the family well. Layla will be lost without Oliver, who she is obsessed with. But she will be visiting me at my own new home, and we will also be puppy-sitting her when they go on vacation.

Samwise came to us as a hyper 4-5 months, he loved fetch and was a jumpy, food-loving Border Collie x Lab. We soon discovered he had many characteristics of the Border collie. Never running out of energy, getting down low to chase frisbees, especially when he got near them. I've known the family he is going to be homed with for about two years now. Samwise is going to a home also with a family of three, as well as a Terrier mix named Modos. I've formed quite the bond with the family, and have got to know them. Samwise will be coming to my own new home at least once a week to go nuts with Oliver, who have been best buddies.

All of the timing was perfect, because we are moving into our new home on June 1st and the dogs will be going to their new homes the day before. Please excuse me if I post waaaay more pictures than usual of Samwise and Layla!

Samwise then @ approx. 6-8 months...

Samwise now @ approx. 1.5 years

Layla then @ approx. 7 weeks...

Layla now @ approx. 4.5 months...

I'll be posting many more pictures of them than usual, please bear with me!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

I know you'll miss them ...but that's fostering . We have to just remember the good times and what we have done for them until they " go home " . I'm sure that they'll miss you too .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Bittersweet...You'll miss them but know they're happy in forever homes.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to let them stay in their new homes with me visiting them for a couple hours each day until July so they can get adjusted to their new homes gradually?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Also, the week after the 1st we'll be introducing Bales, Molly Mae and Elly Mae into our family!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Queen of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to let them stay in their new homes with me visiting them for a couple hours each day until July so they can get adjusted to their new homes gradually?
personally, although really hard, i'd say no. it'll make saying goodbye even harder for you. let them get adjusted in their new homes and start their new life.
its very hard but you've done a wonderful thing by giving these two a second chance at a good life.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Thank you Maple!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

I agree it would be best to just let them settle into their new homes with new owners all at once.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Queen of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
Thank you Maple!

I have two second and third hand dogs. I could never foster, i'd be a complete failure, but I admire those who do.
Enjoy the time you have with them, and look forward to the new ones coming.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Felurian

I agree with letting them go.

You'll be seeing them again later on visits. They won't forget, and they will be thrilled Letting them go cold turkey will allow them to go ahead and bond with their forever families without being so confused.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian